The Queen of the South thread

The Derek Lyle situation - surely I can't be the only one on here who thinks this is a bit of a non-story? 

Derek Lyle, in (possibly) his last season wants to feature more often in the first team - that seems a reasonable ambition on his part. 

Gary Naysmith makes clear that he can't guarantee this.  That too seems reasonable.  

(as has been said before, Lyle is currently competing with Kane and Dobbie for a starting place - don't think anyone has suggested Lyle should be starting ahead of those two based on current form?). 

What's the result?  If, at this stage of his career, playing regularly is a top priority for Derek Lyle - the only way he can be guaranteed that is to move elsewhere. 

(Seen some comments on here about him moving to our playoff rivals - I honestly don't think he'd be first choice striker in any other team in the Championship - with the possible exception of Brechin). 

Perhaps I'm in a minority of one here, but I think the fact that the club have told Derek Lyle he "can" move elsewhere - if he wants - is actually a generous gesture. He could have been "held" to his contract  - warming the bench for the rest of the season. But if playing regularly is so important to him at this stage of his career, he's been given the go ahead to do this.

I don't see any conspiracy, or mis-management in any of this. 

Don't get me wrong! It'd be really sad if a club legend like Derek Lyle leaves before the end of the season - I'm still hoping to be applauding him on the last day of the season after we clinch promotion to the Premiership through the play offs! 

But it's not the end of the world! I really can't understand those people on here who have said they'll "think twice" about going to games if he leaves. This is football. Players come and go. Managers come and go. Chairmen come and go. Only the real fans remain forever. 

Derek Lyle, obviously, always scores against us. It’s no real secret we’re absolutely screaming out for at least one player who can put a fucking ball in the back of a net, and a 36 year old player coming up on retirement in four months time definitely fits the MO of players we could attract.

Question is, can he still do a job in this division, Queens fans? Not saying he’s away and coming to us by any means but if he is available then I wouldn’t be surprised at all if David Hopkin was interested in bringing him to the Macarena.

1 hour ago, billy_gordons_beard said:

The Derek Lyle situation - surely I can't be the only one on here who thinks this is a bit of a non-story? 

Derek Lyle, in (possibly) his last season wants to feature more often in the first team - that seems a reasonable ambition on his part. 

Gary Naysmith makes clear that he can't guarantee this.  That too seems reasonable.  

(as has been said before, Lyle is currently competing with Kane and Dobbie for a starting place - don't think anyone has suggested Lyle should be starting ahead of those two based on current form?). 

What's the result?  If, at this stage of his career, playing regularly is a top priority for Derek Lyle - the only way he can be guaranteed that is to move elsewhere. 

(Seen some comments on here about him moving to our playoff rivals - I honestly don't think he'd be first choice striker in any other team in the Championship - with the possible exception of Brechin). 

Perhaps I'm in a minority of one here, but I think the fact that the club have told Derek Lyle he "can" move elsewhere - if he wants - is actually a generous gesture. He could have been "held" to his contract  - warming the bench for the rest of the season. But if playing regularly is so important to him at this stage of his career, he's been given the go ahead to do this.

Don't get me wrong! It'd be really sad if a club legend like Derek Lyle leaves before the end of the season - I'm still hoping to be applauding him on the last day of the season after we clinch promotion to the Premiership through the play offs! 

But it's not the end of the world! I really can't understand those people on here who have said they'll "think twice" about going to games if he leaves. This is football. Players come and go. Managers come and go. Chairmen come and go. Only the real fans remain forever. 

If he was fit he'd get into our team as currently we have no fully fit strikers. A few mentioning him on our thread too, but I personally don't think we can afford someone like him.

Nice to see the penny is finally dropping on here.

There is no money for players.

I said it the other week, Naysmith has his hands tied. It’s the board that is to blame, just wonder where all the money is going from the arena.

Maybe it's paying it off?

Nail on the head . Absolutely bang on , well said Sir

Nice to see the penny is finally dropping on here.

There is no money for players.

I said it the other week, Naysmith has his hands tied. It’s the board that is to blame, just wonder where all the money is going from the arena.

It’s the board to blame ? Nope , try asking the Dumfries public why they don’t turn up in bigger numbers and supporting their hame team ...

Where is all the money from the Arena going ? Most probably keeping Queens a full time side

Are folk forgetting the season doesn't end on Saturday? I'm struggling to understand why Kane's name keeps getting brought up in this debate. Even if this wasn't Lyle we were talking about it's a ridiculous situation to tell your second highest goalscorer he can leave. If Kane was staying then it wouldn't be as big a blow because Lyle is currently behind them. But unless I've missed something Kane is leaving after the ICT game. At which point I'd fully have expected the second highest goalscorer to take his place. That now looks unlikely and we're left with Dykes and Fergusson to partner Dobbie. Neither of whom possess as big a threat as Lyle. Both are tall though and that doesn't give me any confidence that we'll fade out the route 1 approach.

10 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

He can leave if he wants to play more regular football but he doesn’t so let’s move on

Club record opportunity though.

10 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

He can leave if he wants to play more regular football but he doesn’t so let’s move on

Absolutely! 

I don’t think he’ll go anywhere but he was silly going to the press. He should of kept it to himself as Queens are really taking a kicking online over this

Lyle is no different to any other player worldwide who isn’t happy about a lack of game time . You either stay and fight for your place or move on

To throw my opinion in I will be very disappointed to see him leave in such a way. As a club legend and in top 20 for record appearances and top 5 goals for club he will be missed regardless if he leaves now or end of the season. I think he deserves to stay and I think he still has something to offer the team.

Clarity from the club or something on this would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

It’s the board to blame ? Nope , try asking the Dumfries public why they don’t turn up in bigger numbers and supporting their hame team ...

Where is all the money from the Arena going ? Most probably keeping Queens a full time side

Why don’t the Dumfries public turn up to support their team?

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Are folk forgetting the season doesn't end on Saturday? I'm struggling to understand why Kane's name keeps getting brought up in this debate. Even if this wasn't Lyle we were talking about it's a ridiculous situation to tell your second highest goalscorer he can leave. If Kane was staying then it wouldn't be as big a blow because Lyle is currently behind them. But unless I've missed something Kane is leaving after the ICT game. At which point I'd fully have expected the second highest goalscorer to take his place. That now looks unlikely and we're left with Dykes and Fergusson to partner Dobbie. Neither of whom possess as big a threat as Lyle. Both are tall though and that doesn't give me any confidence that we'll fade out the route 1 approach.

Spot on.

It'.s not really about whether Del leaves or not  it's about the ability of this Manager  -  his decision making and  assessment of players at his disposal.

I have been less than impressed with both since he first arrived not just this latest episode.

I quoted qos1919 before and he is spot on.

With Kane going back  and Lyle, Dykes and Fergusson available to partner Dobbie who do you think best fits the bill ?

I suspect the majority would favour Lyle,  as would Dobbie as they combine so well together.

I can understand Lyle's frustration in this situation if he has been told he is not going to be starting.

Of course, with his "injury" Dykes will get first pop at the position anyway !

This really is a bit of a non-event for me now.  GN clarifies the position on the OS. It`s a bit disappointing that Del chose to go to the press with this in all honesty. 

Del is part of the plans. He isn`t guaranteed to start regularly. If it is crucial to him that he has to be starting then he can (if he chooses to) explore other options. I really don`t see the problem here. It`s a pity it hit the press but that isn`t the club`s doing.

FWIW I really want him to stay and get a great send off at season end. That choice is his to make.

This really is a bit of a non-event for me now.  GN clarifies the position on the OS. It`s a bit disappointing that Del chose to go to the press with this in all honesty. 
Del is part of the plans. He isn`t guaranteed to start regularly. If it is crucial to him that he has to be starting then he can (if he chooses to) explore other options. I really don`t see the problem here. It`s a pity it hit the press but that isn`t the club`s doing.
FWIW I really want him to stay and get a great send off at season end. That choice is his to make.

Yeah all of this. Well done to the club for clarifying the situation quickly.

I don’t think the club or the manager are due any criticism now the facts have come to light. Sadly if anyone is the bad guy in this situation it’s Lyle himself.

Him and the vile rag that is The Sun anyway.

47 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yeah, pretty much this. One thing that isn’t clear, though, is Naysmith saying “contrary to reports in the national media, at no time have I told Lyle he has no future at the club or will not play for the club again”.  The article in the Sun didn’t say any of that. It said roughly the same as Naysmith’s clarification, but from Lyle’s viewpoint. So, were there other reports?