The Queen of the South thread

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Because he maybe wants to stay with us.

Ferguson is not ready for the 1st team yet  

We should offer him a new deal say a 2 year deal but send him out to Annan for the season on loan he then would come back next summer ready for our 1st team .

I hope we don't look on him as our back up forward to Dykes and Dobbie as he is not ready for that yet 

8 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

We should offer him a new deal say a 2 year deal but send him out to Annan for the season on loan he then would come back next summer ready for our 1st team .

I hope we don't look on him as our back up forward to Dykes and Dobbie as he is not ready for that yet 

Have we had any young players sent out on loan to the likes of Annan to then come back and be a first team regular? 

25 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Or up to Stranraer to play at a better level .

Fergusson has made the biggest impact on the first team since the “golden generation” of Reilly, Holt etc.

He’ll learn far more training with Dobbie and co. every day and making the odd cameo off the bench than he would playing with Annan.

I’d happily sign him up as fourth choice striker.

20 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Have we had any young players sent out on loan to the likes of Annan to then come back and be a first team regular? 

That is up to the player to do well at Annan .

The likes of Smith is still at Annan because he is not good enough for us .

Ferguson is nowhere near the level of Reilly but in saying that did Reilly not have a season out on loan .

Edited by Northfield 53

19 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Gavin Reilly to Gretna? 

Ferguson is nowhere near the level of Reilly but in saying that did Reilly not have a season out on loan .

Yes he did, also had a season at lower level that done him the world of good.

4 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Fergusson is no youngster. He is going into his 2nd year of being too old for the 20s and has to be judged on level playing field now to all others. Hes 21 so the needing nurtured thing should be long gone. For me he is ok. Not great but decent enough. If he could learn to turn when controlling the ball would do him the world of good rather than playing the safe option all the time.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Reilly was 17 when he scored his first goal for us I think?  Does that make him our youngest competitive goalscorer?  Any ideas who our oldest would be? 

We had this discussion before on this thread somewhere I think. I don't think we found a definitive answer but I'm sure the likes of Charlie Johnston in the 1930's was scoring goals when he was 40 or thereabouts. Ivor Broadis may have been 40 also. I expect Iain McCartney or Ian Black would know.

Of the more modern obvious suggestions, Derek Lyle's last goal for us v Montrose was when he was 36 years and 281 days old. I think Tommy Bryce's last goal for us was on 9th May 1998 when he was 38 years and 102 days old.

As far as I am aware Gavin Reilly is our youngest ever goalscorer. His goal on his debut as a sub on 31 July 2010 in a 5-1 win over Dumbarton came when he was 17 years and 82 days old.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Of the more modern obvious suggestions, Derek Lyle's last goal for us v Montrose was when he was 36 years and 281 days old. I think Tommy Bryce's last goal for us was on 9th May 1998 when he was 38 years and 102 days old.

Interesting to know the player with the biggest time gap between their first and last goal for Queens, both of those would be up there. 

1 hour ago, TeeMan said:

Interesting to know the player with the biggest time gap between their first and last goal for Queens, both of those would be up there. 

Derek Lyle's first goal for us was on 16th February 2002 v Forfar which means he had 15 years, 9 months or so between them.

I don't have an exact date for Tommy Bryce's first goal for us to hand but he first joined us in the summer of 1985 so it would be shortly after that. Which means it was less than 13 years before his last one.

Top scorer Jim Patterson played for us from 1949 to 1963 which means even if he scored in his 1st and last games (I don't know if he did) then it's a maximum of about 14 years.

Iain McChesney played for us for 21 years from 1960 to 1981. Although ostensibly a defender, he scored 79 goals in his time with us. I've no idea when he got his first and last without doing some research but there's a fair likelihood that he beats Lyle.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Derek Lyle's first goal for us was on 16th February 2002 v Forfar which means he had 15 years, 9 months or so between them.

I don't have an exact date for Tommy Bryce's first goal for us to hand but he first joined us in the summer of 1985 so it would be shortly after that. Which means it was less than 13 years before his last one.

Top scorer Jim Patterson played for us from 1949 to 1963 which means even if he scored in his 1st and last games (I don't know if he did) then it's a maximum of about 14 years.

Iain McChesney played for us for 21 years from 1960 to 1981. Although ostensibly a defender, he scored 79 goals in his time with us. I've no idea when he got his first and last without doing some research but there's a fair likelihood that he beats Lyle.

Andy Thomson? I've not got any exact dates (quick wiki) but could be 89 and 07.

Edited by TeeMan

1 hour ago, TeeMan said:

Andy Thomson? I've not got any exact dates (quick wiki) but could be 89 and 07.

Last goal for us v Livingston on 28th October 2006

I would need to check at home when his first goal was but although he joined in 1989 I don't think he was generally a first team regular until Frank McGarvey threw him in the following year 1990-91. Doesn't mean he didn't score the year before though. Likelihood is there's at least 16 years between his first and last though.

Rowan Alexander scored a goal for us as player manager in January 1997 (6 days before his 36th birthday). He signed for us the first time in 1978. Again I'd need to track down exactly when he got his first goal but something over 18 years looks likely there.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

18 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Forgot Reilly was at Gretna on loan. Did Carmichael sign with us but spend a season on loan there as well? Or did he just come straight to us?