The Queen of the South thread

Just now, palmy_cammy said:

As long as we get the Morton version and not the Ayr one then that is an excellent signing.

Even if you get the version we had he'll still be a good player. Got stick for being lazy but he didn't suit PT football. Carried us in a lot of games in the first half of the season but after Christmas he dropped off along with pretty much everyone else. Be interesting how Naysmith fits him into the team with Dobbie. 

1 minute ago, somerset_lad said:

Even if you get the version we had he'll still be a good player. Got stick for being lazy but he didn't suit PT football. Carried us in a lot of games in the first half of the season but after Christmas he dropped off along with pretty much everyone else. Be interesting how Naysmith fits him into the team with Dobbie. 

Fantastically ;) 

Pretty sure Harkins will play deeper in central midfield and Dobbie will continue up front or playing off a striker.

Fantastically [emoji6] 
Pretty sure Harkins will play deeper in central midfield and Dobbie will continue up front or playing off a striker.

Think this is where we could’ve played him but he ended up being shunted out wide.

With players like Dobbie around him he’ll be top class.

Fantastically [emoji6] 

Think this is where we could’ve played him but he ended up being shunted out wide.

With players like Dobbie around him he’ll be top class.

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Fantastically ;) 

That’s the one area he struggled last year. He’s better when he’s the more advanced midfielder pulling the strings. 

15 minutes ago, Scosha said:

That’s the one area he struggled last year. He’s better when he’s the more advanced midfielder pulling the strings. 

He'll have Jacobs beside him doing a lot of the donkey work. Did he not play deeper against Queens at Palmerston? Sure I remember him picking up the ball pretty deep and dictating the game. Thats the kind of player we've been crying out for for a long time

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

He'll have Jacobs beside him doing a lot of the donkey work. Did he not play deeper against Queens at Palmerston? Sure I remember him picking up the ball pretty deep and dictating the game. Thats the kind of player we've been crying out for for a long time

I wasn’t at the 2nd game at Palmerston but the 1st game I’m sure he actually played up front with Quitongo and Oliver? out wide. He had much more influence on games when playing further forward and letting Murdoch cover behind. I always thought he was wasted by Duffy when playing that holding role. 

I'm not sure what to think of this, undoubtedly a good player but I would have preferred not to add any more older players to the team - I like to think we would have saved the wage and went for Thomson if he was available.

Interesting that Naysmith mentions him being particularly useful at home. I'm kind of worried how he will fit in the team with Dobbie. I imagine in a midfield two we'd be overrun so either coming from the left/right  in a 4 (the Dom Thomas role) or in a midfield 3/5 with Dykes and Todd wide and Dobbie through the middle would seem to match how Naysmith has played in the past.

Fair play to the manager for getting some signings in early.

Edited by TeeMan

22 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

I'm not sure what to think of this, undoubtedly a good player but I would have preferred not to add any more older players to the team

With the departures of Lyle and Rankin then our oldest outfield player other than Dobbie is the 28 year old Andy Stirling whose future is far from certain either having been out on loan for the second half of the season. Even Alan Martin is only 29.

On the contrary I think an experienced playmaker is exactly what we needed. If we get the Harkins from Dundee /  Morton and not the one from Ayr then it's a terrific signing.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

With the departures of Lyle and Rankin then our oldest outfield player other than Dobbie is the 28 year old Andy Stirling whose future is far from certain either having been out on loan for the second half of the season. Even Alan Martin is only 29.

On the contrary I think an experienced playmaker is exactly what we needed. If we get the Harkins from Dundee /  Morton and not the one from Ayr then it's a terrific signing.

He'll be 34 halfway through the season, I think there is always the worry that the legs will suddenly go. It is a decent signing depending on how we play him but I'd rather see more like Todd.

Edited by TeeMan

Really pleased with this signing. I know he can be regarded as luxury player and might not put in the dirty work in the middle, but we've had a season of Rankin in there who managed to remain invisible for the most part. Jacobs was almost doing the work of two people so he'll just need to focus on breaking up play as Harkins will bring the attacking side to the middle. A creative midfielder is something we've been missing for a good few seasons now, so to have a quality one signed has instantly perked up my interest in next season's campaign.

Our midfield is already stronger than last season's IMO. I just hope this means Dobbie will be up top with support and Harkins will be in the middle. The thought of those two linking up is making me feel giddy :D

He'll be 34 halfway through the season, I think there is always the worry that the legs will suddenly go. It is a decent signing depending on how we play him but I'd rather see more like Todd.

Our best CM of the last decade was 35 at us remember. Tosh was a superb player and hasn't been beaten in that role for us since IMO (McShane coming the closest).

Harkins is similar to Dobbie in that his game has never been about energy. Compare that to someone like Bowey who's game was all about that. When his legs went he was awful for us as that was his game. Thankfully that's not what Harkins is about and he has natural talent. I've no concerns regarding his age.

Rankin or Harkins is a no brainer, you wont get the industry of Rankin with him but Rankin couldnt pass water when he was with us

Decent signing if you keep him interested

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

I wasn’t at the 2nd game at Palmerston but the 1st game I’m sure he actually played up front with Quitongo and Oliver? out wide. He had much more influence on games when playing further forward and letting Murdoch cover behind. I always thought he was wasted by Duffy when playing that holding role. 

I think we're probably talking about a similar role, to be honest. As I said, Jacobs will cover behind, hopefully Harkins will be the one getting on the ball and dictating play.

As others have said, we've lacked quality in midfield for some time.

Pleased with the signing news. Harkins is a marked improvement on Rankin and I can see Harkins playing a "sitting" role dictating play with younger more energetic players  round about and in front of him.

Great to see we're not hanging about but instead being proactive in getting a squad together early.