The Queen of the South thread

Josh is a good signing for you guys. Best of luck.

Surprised Saints never offered him a new deal. I got the impression he was well thought of by Ross. Not good enough for the top league? Injury risk?

As I said earlier Todd was a stick on signing. Now him and Fergusson have been signed I still think we need another 6/7 players. What do yous reckon? Also wonder how much impact the reserve league will have on teams like us signing emergency loans? Will be more difficult now as I heard they will be closed once window is shut. The reserve league can be very beneficial for guys like Fergusson and Murray who arent quite good enough to be 1st team starters but are too old/good for 20s footy. Hopefully helps bridge the gap. Sometimes these guys who are too old for the 20s have been released to early so the reserve league can stop this happening. I think they are going with u18s footy next season so will be those born 2000 and below I guess? Clubs may run with bigger squads now they know they have to get it right before the end of August.

Graeme Muir was born on 2nd November 1966. Looking through old programmes it looks like his first goal was in  Skol Cup tie in August 1984. So he would have been 17 but older than Reilly was.

You sure about that? That would make him exactly a year older than me but he was in my year at school.

As at 1st May 2018:

3 - Derek Lyle, 117 goals in 269 starts (96 sub) appearancs, 2002 - 2004, 2004 - 2006 & 2012 - 2018

4 - Andy Thomson, 114 goal in 196 starts (35 sub) appearances, 1989 - 1994 & 2006 - 2007

5 - Stephen Dobbie, 108 goals in 171 starts (17 sub) appearances, 2007 - 2009, 2016 - Current

7 - Tommy Bryce, 95 goals in 283 starts (14 sub) appearances, 1985 - 1987, 1994 - 1998 & 1999

11 - Jimmy Robertson, 89 goals in 378 starts (22 sub) appearances, 1979 - 1987 & 1989 - 1993

12 - Jackie Oakes, 81 goals in 457 appearances, 1936 - 1947 & 1951 - 1960

14 - Rowan Alexander, 78 goals in 165 starts (18 sub) appearances, 1978 - 1983 & 1995 - 1998

We should treasure the next year of him firing them in because, unless he does another season beyond that, I suspect it will be a long time before anyone else gets anywhere near that top 20. Players staying with clubs long enough to do it these days is less and less likely. The next highest scorer behind Dobbie in the current squad as it stands right now will be Lyndon Dykes on 12. It's fairly remarkable that we have three modern day players in the top five who most of us have seen scoring for Queens.

...or perhaps a more likely scenario given the adjusted list above is which former striker with a decent tally in the bank might come back in future to add to it?

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Surprised Saints never offered him a new deal. I got the impression he was well thought of by Ross. Not good enough for the top league? Injury risk?

After an indifferent start Josh came onto a great spell but his shoulder injury really pushed him well down the pecking order when he eventually regained fitness and we had a team that was winning most weeks and we had added to the pool in January. Would not have surprised me if he was offered a new contract but it is probably better for Josh to play regular football with Queens.

1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

You sure about that? That would make him exactly a year older than me but he was in my year at school.

Detail from SFL Review Book. You would like to think it was right but who knows!

Edit - SFA Registrations records confirm 2nd November 1966.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

13 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

Either you were very bright for your age or Muir had to repeat a year.  

(I don't think either of these are the correct reason btw,  SD's statistics are more likely to be correct.) 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Either you were very bright for your age or Muir had to repeat a year.  

(I don't think either of these are the correct reason btw,  SD's statistics are more likely to be correct.) 

Its not necessarily an either/or situation ;-)

3 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Gary Harkins, thoughts?

Quality signing. I would have been dubious 12 months ago but he was a stand out for Morton last season.

Harkins and Dobbie in the same team :wub:

Does sound, from Naysmiths comments, that Thomson wont be coming back though