The Queen of the South thread

12 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

I like Taiwo, players hate playing against him. Grant is also a decent player, isn't he only 28? Plenty of experience but other than Thomson I'm no too keen on the rest. 

Grant is a decent player but has injury problems can we risk signing him . ?

Taiwo is just another ball winning midfielder not what we need just now .

Thomson has to be our number one signing target either again on loan or if he gets released from Celtic .

Kevin Holt looks like he wants to stay with Dundee why would he come back to Queens when he can make 3 times as much money at Dundee .

18 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Thomson has to be our number one signing target either again on loan or if he gets released from Celtic .

Kevin Holt looks like he wants to stay with Dundee why would he come back to Queens when he can make 3 times as much money at Dundee .

Your way out on Holt, its a lot more than that .There are a few clubs from SPL and England interested .

Edited by weeredbook

4 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Fordyce was a player with injury problems and ended up getting 2nd in players player of the year. I’d take Grant in an instant.

8 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Aye fair enough, think he's only played about 10 games this season. I'm sure it was his cruciate he done in. Still like him as a player though.

Jacobs is the only holding midfielder we have so another would be ideal imo. 

The club needs to gut out the youth system. 7th of 9 in development league behind the likes of Stranraer and Airdrie .

I have watched  quite a few Under 20 / youth games and the standard is very poor .

Edited by weeredbook

7 hours ago, weeredbook said:

The club needs to gut out the youth system. 7th of 9 in development league behind the likes of Stranraer and Airdrie .

I have watched  quite a few Under 20 / youth games and the standard is very poor .

They won the league last year and the majority are now playing at Annan now. And this seasons team has very much been 16/17/18 year olds with the odd experienced player in it. I’d be surprised if they don’t finish top 2 next year.

Ayr United are apparently interested in signing Jordan Marshall. Considering one of the reasons he turned down a new deal with Queens was rumoured to be the travelling involved from NE England,  it would be strange if he signed for a club even  further away.  I would hope that we could have bettered any deal offered by Ayr United if it came down to cash.  

Also Tan Man is considering a move over the water to Linfield in NornIreland.  

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Ayr United are apparently interested in signing Jordan Marshall. Considering one of the reasons he turned down a new deal with Queens was rumoured to be the travelling involved from NE England,  it would be strange if he signed for a club even  further away.  I would hope that we could have bettered any deal offered by Ayr United if it came down to cash.  

A chance to reprise his Easter Road flute playing antics perhaps :lol:

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Is he decent? I agree it would be strange if he turned down a new deal with yourselves to sign for us. I'd imagine our budgets will be fairly similar.

10 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Is he decent? I agree it would be strange if he turned down a new deal with yourselves to sign for us. I'd imagine our budgets will be fairly similar.

Nah not very good at all and very injury prone! ^_^

9 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

They won the league last year and the majority are now playing at Annan now. And this seasons team has very much been 16/17/18 year olds with the odd experienced player in it. I’d be surprised if they don’t finish top 2 next year.

The Development League is no more, replaced by a Reserve League next season with format and make up still to be confirmed so we're unlikely to win it but I agree with the sentiment. Naysmith gutted the 20's last year and allowed everyone over the age of 18 to leave if they weren't already in the first team squad. This year's 20 were never going to be anywhere near the top as they were largely 16 and 17 year olds at the start of the season up against guys 3 or 4 years older. They won it the year before with a squad of more or less 20 year olds with 2 or 3 years experience at that level.

The Development programme should be judged on whether it's bringing players into first team level, not whether it won a Development trophy or two. It's done ok recently with the likes of Leighfield, Bell, Fergusson, Murray and Dykes coming through from that level. We'll see whether the likes of Gourlay, Tremble and Harvey can make the step up next year presumably.

As Naysmith said, it can’t be a coincidence that when Todd came in (as well as Lyndon going up top) our results picked up. 

We still need replacements for Rooney, Marshall, Thomson, Rankin, Thomas and Del i’d say. 

Delighted wity Todd though, a good start to a massive season ahead.

50 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I can't say I was overly impressed with what I saw of Todd, but then again I probably only saw him 2 or 3 times, and I was certainly in the minority to hold that view.  Two good signings I think.

Hopefully he'll get a good pre-season in and stay injury free - I'd imagine then you'll have a decent player on your hands.

Great news. I wasn't blown away with him but I was impressed with even though I felt he didn't look fully fit. With a good pre-season behind him I reckon he could be a really important player for us next season. Fergusson re-signing is good news as well. One more half decent striker and I'll be content in that department.