The Queen of the South thread

16 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

From a personal perspective I get to as many games as I can but as a central belter its usually more away than home. Despite Dobbies heroics, I don't sense any great optimism from the club that we might get promoted this season. We've got a manager that many still aren't convinced about, a defence that's clearly short of a Thomsonesque leader and its been a few years since we've had a midfield that I was really excited about. Shipping 3 goals at home in 30 minutes to Alloa isn't really form to get people excited despite the ensuing Dobbie hattrick. I feel bad for not feeling more optimistic but its clear from the crowds that I'm not the only one. How many league games have we won so far out of 8?  2! and both of them in the space of a week end Aug/start Sept. If we don't beat Dunfermline in a fortnight it'll be nearly two months since our last league  win by the time we play Falkirk again  in the last week of October. Don't get me wrong I'll still be along to see some more Dobbie heroics but optimistic enough to shell out £30-40 to get to every game? Nope. Heck - this time 2007/08 season I  got 400/1 each way on a bet on Queens to win the Scottish cup - that's how optimistic I was back then! 

Always makes me smile when someone takes stats and twists then in such a way to make a point.

How about this one. 

Played 15  lost 4 won 7 drawn 4

Top scorers in the league. Third best defence in the league. One point off the top 4.

2 loses were against Premier League teams.

Your glass is either half full or half empty. I rather be half full. 

17 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Always makes me smile when someone takes stats and twists then in such a way to make a point.

How about this one. 

Played 15  lost 4 won 7 drawn 4

Top scorers in the league. Third best defence in the league. One point off the top 4.

2 loses were against Premier League teams.

Your glass is either half full or half empty. I rather be half full. 

That isn't twisting anything, it is stating a fact.  We haven't won a league game since 1st September.  Pointing this out is a valid contribution in a "why don't we have bigger crowds" discussion.  Floating fans aren't going to watch a team that only win once a month.

Whilst more committed fans can accept that what you have posted makes decent reading it isn't exactly going to be a game changer to a part-timer is it?

"Fancy the Queens game this weekend?"

"Naw they're shite why would I want to watch them?"

"They've the third best defence in the league and won nearly half of their games."

"Well why didn't you say so, put me down for three tickets!"

23 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

That isn't twisting anything, it is stating a fact.  We haven't won a league game since 1st September.  Pointing this out is a valid contribution in a "why don't we have bigger crowds" discussion.  Floating fans aren't going to watch a team that only win once a month.

Whilst more committed fans can accept that what you have posted makes decent reading it isn't exactly going to be a game changer to a part-timer is it?

"They've the third best defence in the league and won nearly half of their games."

"Stephen Dobbie"

"European top goal scorer . . . I'll be there!"

Played 15 Lost 4 Won 7 Drawn 4
Thats a fact.
as I said your glass is half full or half empty.
my glass is half full.
League: Played 8, Won 2, Drew 2, Lost 4. That's the one that matters most and it's not the best of reading just now.

14 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

"Stephen Dobbie"

"European top goal scorer . . . I'll be there!"

Yeah but that isn't happening is it?

5 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Thats a fact.

my glass is half full.

It's not my glass you need to be worried about.  I've been going to games since 1994 and don't plan stopping any time soon.  I've seen far worse starts to a season, and I've seen a few better ones.  The start to this season is fairly average in my eyes.  Fairly average isn't attractive to outsiders.

If come the turn of the year you are posting Played 30 Lost 6 Won 18 Drawn 6 I can guarantee the crowds will be bigger.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'd also add that even teams who have been similarly mediocre (aside from simply being bigger clubs in general) can  bring in casual fans for derby games even if they are on a very bad run.  

It's a bit of a treadmill we operate on really, if we admit defeat and accept we're shite and go part time, nobody will want to watch that, however we are one of the smallest full time teams in the country so unless you sacrifice depth you aren't getting the better players so unless something miraculous or terrible happens we achieve exactly our weight. Players will go to clubs if they pay them well or offer stability, have a solid core squad, the potential to win games and the opportunity to play in big games.  We probably are able to offer one of those things in a solid core squad (plus Dobbie is the best recruiting tool we have).  Even with the momentum of a promotion we still weren't getting significantly larger crowds so winning  is not a guarantee of anything. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, SueSue said:
Thats a fact.
my glass is half full.

League: Played 8, Won 2, Drew 2, Lost 4. That's the one that matters most and it's not the best of reading just now.

Well no, it wouldnt be. As that isnt our record however I'm not sure why you think its relevant?

Well no, it wouldnt be. As that isnt our record however I'm not sure why you think its relevant?
Draw and loss the wrong way around. Either way, it's not the worst record but it's hardly worth getting excited over either.

4 minutes ago, JessieField said:

We all know how bad Falkirk are this season apparently. Queens have won only 1 game more than them after 8 games. I think it's a valid point why "floating" fans are still staying away. We need to change the draws into wins by sorting the defence out.

You realise two of the draws have been 0-0. I`ll give you the 2-2 and the 3-3 but tough to blame the defence for two 0-0 draws.

9 minutes ago, JessieField said:

We all know how bad Falkirk are this season apparently. Queens have won only 1 game more than them after 8 games. I think it's a valid point why "floating" fans are still staying away. We need to change the draws into wins by sorting the defence out.

Two of our 4 draws were 0-0. 

Not saying the defence isnt without its problems but its far too simplistic to suggest its the only problem. 

30 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Two of our 4 draws were 0-0. 

Not saying the defence isnt without its problems but its far too simplistic to suggest its the only problem. 

People very quick to blame the defence when we draw 2 2 or 3 3.

yet nothing said when the defence keep a clean sheet and we fail to take chances at the other end.

this seasons league will be the tightest for years. 

Simply a victory against Alloa and we would be in the playoff spot.

yes yes I know we drew but it shows you can be anywhere in the top 8 and be one or two wins away from the playoffs.

that is why it is an exciting season. 

Including cup games, we've conceded 15 goals in 8 games at home. But 7 in 7 away games. 2 of the 8 at home were against 'lesser teams' who were Crusaders and Stranraer where we conceded 6 goals. 3 clean sheets at home so thats 15 goals in 5 games and 3 clean sheets away which makes it 7 conceded in 4 away. Make of that as you wish. 

People very quick to blame the defence when we draw 2 2 or 3 3.
yet nothing said when the defence keep a clean sheet and we fail to take chances at the other end.
this seasons league will be the tightest for years. 
Simply a victory against Alloa and we would be in the playoff spot.
yes yes I know we drew but it shows you can be anywhere in the top 8 and be one or two wins away from the playoffs.
that is why it is an exciting season. 
Really? Semple and Doyle have been our highest praised players behind Dobbie this season. When we got beat at Thistle I praised them for keeping it tight at the back with no support from the middle. They were praised against County as well for limiting their chances. I think our defence has received it's fair share of praise this season. Doyle is probably ranked 2nd behind Dobbie in the MotM awards.

You take the rough with the smooth though. That first goal on Saturday was appalling defending and you see those goals every week in Sunday league. Two more goals conceded from yet another cross and you can't have a go at folk for criticising the defending.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Really? Semple and Doyle have been our highest praised players behind Dobbie this season. When we got beat at Thistle I praised them for keeping it tight at the back with no support from the middle. They were praised against County as well for limiting their chances. I think our defence has received it's fair share of praise this season. Doyle is probably ranked 2nd behind Dobbie in the MotM awards.

You take the rough with the smooth though. That first goal on Saturday was appalling defending and you see those goals every week in Sunday league. Two more goals conceded from yet another cross and you can't have a go at folk for criticising the defending.

I didn’t mention Doyle and Semple in particular.

I said the defence.