The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, baw heid said:

The point I make relates to the excellent support we get at away games and the great support given by the Tartan army away. I can not agree with your comments on the numbers who support the national team for home games, Belgium 20K and Albania 17K. Contrast that to 2014 when we had 4 home games England 50K, Republic 49K,Georgia 34K and even Gibraltar at 34K  when the nation started to believe we were progressing. After our latest show I dread to think what kind of crowd we get for the next home game.  Contrast that to Wales who now sell out games at Cardiff City and are now having to move to The National stadium to ensure every one can get a ticket. All because of the success they have had over the recent years and we could do the same but not with the present displays 

Our latest round of fully competitive fixtures had good gates too.  

The Belgium game was a friendly, while the Albania one fell into the new quasi competitive bracket created by the Nations' League.  The matches you contrast them with were fully fledged qualifiers, apart from the England one which had huge novelty.

Scotland's gates have held up incredibly well in the face of prolonged failure.  In the interests of sparking change, I'm not convinced it's been that helpful.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The Belgium game was a friendly, while the Albania one fell into the new quasi competitive bracket created by the Nations' League.  The matches you contrast them with were fully fledged qualifiers, apart from the England one which had huge novelty.

Scotland's gates have held up incredibly well in the face of prolonged failure.  In the interests of sparking change, I'm not convinced it's been that helpful.

The Nations League isn’t ‘quasi competitive’. It’s a ‘fully-fledged’ qualification route for the Euros. Top an ostensibly ‘easy’ three-team group against mediocre opposition and we’re in the play-offs for a  place at the finals. The fact that the media haven’t been able to communicate this message effectively to a progressively ever-more-demoralised Scotland support (or maybe they have, and the 17k at the Albania game is reflective of how little the support really cares) doesn’t make them any less of a route to the finals. 

The only thing making the Israel game quasi-competitive the other night was Scotland's utter ineptitude. 

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Disappointing to read people still trying to downplay the Nations League, it's our best chance of qualifying for a major tournament. 

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If you think 17k against Albania is a gate that is 'holding Up' then we have opposing ideas of International turnouts. It is a disgrace that a football stadium that I attended with 100k in attendance now looks almost empty for a non friendly game.  I will not waste my time with any further response to your comments

1 minute ago, baw heid said:

If you think 17k against Albania is a gate that is 'holding Up' then we have opposing ideas of International turnouts. It is a disgrace that a football stadium that I attended with 100k in attendance now looks almost empty for a non friendly game.  I will not waste my time with any further response to your comments

Our international gates compare favourably to most other nations, despite our ticket prices being relatively high.

What relevance the fact that the place used to be able to accommodate very big crowds has, I'll leave you to outline if of course you deem me worthy of a response.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Our international gates compare favourably to most other nations, despite our ticket prices being relatively high.

What relevance the fact that the place used to be able to accommodate very big crowds has, I'll leave you to outline if of course you deem me worthy of a response.

When the powers that be are seriously looking to downsize Hampden to a 35,000 stadium then I would say comparing the old ground that held 100,000 and was full ........... to a new stadium that we will struggle to fill is a reasonable point to make.

the point was also regarding Scotland. Not any other countries. 

35 minutes ago, SueSue said:

When the powers that be are seriously looking to downsize Hampden to a 35,000 stadium then I would say comparing the old ground that held 100,000 and was full ........... to a new stadium that we will struggle to fill is a reasonable point to make.

Hampden was invariably full when it was bigger, yeah?

Is that what you're saying?

What I am saying is the current following of Scotland is poor. Although our away support holds up very well.

if you think our home support is decent then good for you. IMO it is not great. 

And yes IMO we had fastly larger crowds in years gone by. 

I wouldn’t watch this Scotland team if they were playing in my back garden. The governing body are an embarrassment and the manager is a complete diddy. If they were a club side they’d be languishing in the Third Division on the brink of administration.

Aside from our constant state of rank rottenness, a big factor in me giving up going to Hampden is the “week of football” nonsense. Going up to Glasgow at awkward times on awkward days holds no appeal. Who in their right minds would make the journey for a friendly at 5pm on a Sunday? Bonkers.

The main reason that people don't attend is the timing of fixtures - Thursday - Tuesday night games are a nightmare for supporters from some parts of the country and beyond to travel to. Working the day of the match and following day rules a lot of people out.

The cost of attending club and country matches is another factor - people pick and choose the matches you go to. People and families cannot afford to go to every game nowadays.

Another factor is time - can supporters and families really attend two matches over a weekend today at East Fife and then Hampden tomorrow. I know in my day to day life there isn't enough hours in the day so something has to give.

Then combine the above the games are live on TV - a lot of people have paid subscriptions so by watching it on tv they can save money for other things - food, house, cars, family holidays, kids away weekends etc

33 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm really not mounting any defence of Scotland here.  We've been inexcusably poor for a couple of generations now.  However, the assertion that our gates for international games these days are historically poor, doesn't really bear much scrutiny.

I am very happy to be proved wrong.

maybe it is my imagination which to be fair can be quite far off.

It certainly feels the interest in the National team is as poor as it ever has been.

7 minutes ago, SueSue said:

I am very happy to be proved wrong.

maybe it is my imagination which to be fair can be quite far off.

It certainly feels the interest in the National team is as poor as it ever has been.

Want to guess what support we get for the home match against Israel  18K in a 80K stadium but according to some the national team is holding its support base.  I remember the qualifiers for Italy, France and Argentina when you couldn't get a Hampden ticket for love or money.We even got 30k to wave goodbye 

3 hours ago, SueSue said:

Hopefully any redevelopment will allow us to see the pitch without binoculars. 

Edited by louisxiv