The Queen of the South thread

21 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Jim McIntyre  would be a great choice did a good job for us before have to hope he does not take the Partick job .

Yep we`ve already acknowledged McIntyre as an available decent manager.  Who are the others you previously referred to but didn`t name?

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

The one thing that pissed me off from today’s match (along with the result) was certain supporters constant ridiculing of the team. Literally from the start they were personally criticising and the team. The ground was quiet and the players that were being targeted by their own supporters would have without a doubt heard it.

Every time anyone even touched the ball they were at the abuse again. If you travel to Fife to support your team, the least you can do is actually support them. We didn’t okay well, GN didn’t hide that, the players didn’t hide it after the game but some of the stuff that was being said was out of order.

It annoyed me, several others around me and I can guarantee the players.

Take it you have not seen Queens play recently stick 2 men on Dobbie mark him tightly Queen then will not score then get at our poor keeper and defence you will score just a matter of how many 
Problem us that is we don't really have 2 players to stick on Dobbie. And we're not really scoring goals either - 2 v Falkirk when we had about 18 shots but only about 4 on target, 2 v Alloa but one was a penalty. If you're seriously that bad then maybe we can keep it to 0-0. But I'll be putting money on Dobbie scoring, even if they will be short odds.

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Take it you have not seen Queens play recently stick 2 men on Dobbie mark him tightly Queen then will not score then get at our poor keeper and defence you will score just a matter of how many 

Nah. Put 10 men on Dobbie and he'll still score. 

52 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

The one thing that pissed me off from today’s match (along with the result) was certain supporters constant ridiculing of the team. Literally from the start they were personally criticising and the team. The ground was quiet and the players that were being targeted by their own supporters would have without a doubt heard it.

Every time anyone even touched the ball they were at the abuse again. If you travel to Fife to support your team, the least you can do is actually support them. We didn’t okay well, GN didn’t hide that, the players didn’t hide it after the game but some of the stuff that was being said was out of order.

Spot on. Too many 'supporters' are only too happy to have a go at everyone...the Manager, the Assistant Manager, the players , the  Directors...they seem to take delight when we have a crap result, and that was a crap result. This is when we really do need to rally round the team.

1 hour ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

2 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Spot on. Too many 'supporters' are only too happy to have a go at everyone...the Manager, the Assistant Manager, the players , the  Directors...they seem to take delight when we have a crap result, and that was a crap result. This is when we really do need to rally round the team.

Oh behave.  Nobody was taking a delight in a crap result today.  Fans were understandably frustrated by a pretty awful performance.  Criticisng fans who`ve made a long trip on an awful day to watch a poor performance is a tad unfair in my view. Our support, especially the away support are a pretty forgiving bunch in all honesty.

Oh behave.  Nobody was taking a delight in a crap result today.  Fans were understandably frustrated by a pretty awful performance.  Criticisng fans who`ve made a long trip on an awful day to watch a poor performance is a tad unfair in my view. Our support, especially the away support are a pretty forgiving bunch in all honesty.

I understand that. Bad results deserve criticism. But the score was 0-0 until 34 minutes; and we were the better team for the opening 20!

Countless times the ball went to Stirling and they were screaming abuse at him before he’d even done anything. We were bad, but we weren’t THAT bad. I’ve never heard ‘fans’ go at it for a whole 90, that is by far the worst I’ve ever heard. And I’ve seen countless worse performances than that

11 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

I understand that. Bad results deserve criticism. But the score was 0-0 until 34 minutes; and we were the better team for the opening 20!

Countless times the ball went to Stirling and they were screaming abuse at him before he’d even done anything. We were bad, but we weren’t THAT bad. I’ve never heard ‘fans’ go at it for a whole 90, that is by far the worst I’ve ever heard. And I’ve seen countless worse performances than that

Fair enough. I have to say the fans next to me were really positive about Stirling early in the match. He looked a real threat and in fact always tried to be positive albeit things didn`t always come off for him.  For me any negativity from the fans certainly came after we went a goal down and even then I`ve heard much worse. Certainly the folk round me were definitely not "going at it" for the whole 90 minutes. Far from it in all honesty.  People were pissed off near the end but that`s understandable. It`s also up to the players to get the fans going. It`s a 2 way street. The players who were substituted were applauded by those near me and again from those near me there was very little if any abuse at the final whistle. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Queens are in a relegation battle this season due to the weakness of the subs bench. Any injuries/suspensions (which are guaranteed to occur!)  between now and the end of the season are going to leave us in deep poo. In our 100th season of existence, somehow, the Board need to find the finances to keep us in the top 20 clubs in Scotland. Surely it has to happen.

I must admit that anybody criticising Stirling yesterday must have been watching a different game - he was one of our very few successes.

13 hours ago, SueSue said:

But it’s only 2 defeats in 8 in the league 

You could go undefeated all season yet finish on 38pts and find yourself finishing 8th.

4 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I must admit that anybody criticising Stirling yesterday must have been watching a different game - he was one of our very few successes.

Yep I thought Stirling did well yesterday. Looked a real threat early on and kept going even when things didn`t always come off for him.

18 hours ago, SueSue said:

A screamer in the top corner and a howler by Martin. Pick the bones out of that.

looking forward to hearing from the blame police over the course of the evening

The screamer came from poor defending by Mercer and Martin's decision  making is par for the course. I thought Doyle and Semple were coping by belting balls that the keeper should come and collect, into touch but Fordyce must have forgotten that. 4 nailed on chances to score  only 2 on target and no danger to East Fife's keeper. It has been a concern that we rely on Dobbie for our goals so when he has a poor game we do not look like scoring. Surely when Harkins is missing we must have someone who is capable of taking a free kick i would settle for even a 50/50 success rates I am a big fan of Dobbie but I just think we should be protecting him a bit more rather than landing him with free kicks as well. I thought Dykes would do the running up front but not yesterday.

Still expect a point at Dumfermline. Still believe The Manager is doing well with the resources he has been given and it's never dull watching Queens

16 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

We have only won 2 league games.

Livingston did it last season a full time team on a part time budget .

I can guarantee you if you offered the Queens job to say Jim McIntyre he would take it would look on it as a challenge to work with a small budget .

Give Naysmith till the end of October if no improvement then he must go we can't wait any longer 

You need to let your brain catch up. First of all we are not Livingston so stop comparing us to them. There are a number of differences between the two clubs that make your constant comparisons just wrong. 

Your Jim McIntyre prediction is equally ill thought. Why on earth would he come back. For the challenge?? Unless you or someone else has spoken to him and he is quoted as saying "yeah i love to come back to queens, it will be a challenge". Nope didn't think so.

We lost in the challenge cup and you are calling for the managers head. WOW. Of all the competitions its the least important to the survival of our club. Don't get me wrong i am disappointed in the result because i felt we could of won it this year or come damn close to it. If we lose several league games on the bounce and we look like staring relegation in the face then yes by all means change of manager. But  we are not at this present moment in time. We have fantastic performances in us such as the Ayr, Falkirk and Ross County games. We have scored in most games this season and are creating chances most games. In defence we have had a number of good clean sheets which means that both in attack and defence, GN is getting it right. Maybe not all the time to push for promotion but right enough times to keep us safe/mid table. We had a decent league cup campaign. In the league we are right in the promotion playoff mix. Where are the funds coming from to release him considering we couldn't afford the extra players. We are better served i feel backing the manager and the team and support them, instead of writing them off and calling for change. These are people's jobs we are talking about. 

Every week you write us off and its really starting to boil my piss. Lets get behind the team. Mon the South.

After a circuitous trek to get to Methil by a combination of train and bus on a horrible day, that was a thoroughly dispiriting performance. Even when we’ve played badly this season, which we’ve done on a few occasions, we’ve looked dangerous. Against modest but motivated opposition yesterday we struggled from start to finish. We had a 15 minute spell in the second half with the wind at our backs when we looked like we were going to shrug off a very lethargic first half performance, step up the intensity, and force our way back into the game, but by far our best chance fell to Dykes, who once again looked like a striker who can’t strike. 

The defence was horrible, with Martin, Mercer and Marshall in particularly looking very shaky. East Fife were no more than decent, but even in a second half that we largely controlled, they were always the greater threat going forward, with chasms of space opening up in our defence at times. We looked as shambolic and uncertain defensively as Scotland did midweek, but we don’t have the excuse of not playing together every week. Queens full backs are not bad going forward, but continually get caught out of position defensively. In midfield Jacobs kept giving the ball away (again), Todd didn’t really have his best game and we badly missed Harkins guile and invention. Stirling was our only threat, with Dobbie having an off day and Dykes another stinker.

The whole team looks completely jaded tbh. If ever there was a day to freshen up the team with a few new faces it was yesterday, but Naysmith clearly doesn’t have much faith in the fringe players. At times this season I’ve been optimistic about our chances, but yesterday was a cold, wet, bracing blast of reality. Even without (inevitable) injuries and suspensions it will be tough to keep the first XI fresh enough throughout the campaign to mount a series challenge, but lose one or two key players and we suddenly look very average indeed.

Edited by Frankie S

47 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

After a circuitous trek to get to Methil by a combination of train and bus on a horrible day, that was a thoroughly dispiriting performance. Even when we’ve played badly this season, which we’ve done on a few occasions, we’ve looked dangerous. Against modest but motivated opposition yesterday we struggled from start to finish. We had a 15 minute spell in the second half with the wind at our backs when we looked like we were going to shrug off a very lethargic first half performance, step up the intensity, and force our way back into the game, but by far our best chance fell to Dykes, who once again looked like a striker who can’t strike. 

The defence was horrible, with Martin, Mercer and Marshall in particularly looking very shaky. East Fife were no more than decent, but even in a second half that we largely controlled, they were always the greater threat going forward, with chasms of space opening up in our defence at times. We looked as shambolic and uncertain defensively as Scotland did midweek, but we don’t have the excuse of not playing together every week. Queens full backs are not bad going forward, but continually get caught out of position defensively. In midfield Jacobs kept giving the ball away (again), Todd didn’t really have his best game and we badly missed Harkins guile and invention. Stirling was our only threat, with Dobbie having an off day and Dykes another stinker.

The whole team looks completely jaded tbh. If ever there was a day to freshen up the team with a few new faces it was yesterday, but Naismith clearly doesn’t have much faith in the fringe players. At times this season I’ve been optimistic about our chances, but yesterday was a cold, wet, bracing blast of reality. Even without (inevitable) injuries and suspensions it will be tough to keep the first XI fresh enough throughout the campaign to mount a series challenge, but lose one or two key players and we suddenly look very average indeed.

I just feel that the way our full backs bomb on we need three at the back and the two current full backs as wing backs.

That way when Marshall and Mercer enevitably get caught out we have 3 at the back covering instead of 2.

Jacobs as much as I like him can’t keep losing possession in front of the CBs as he is doing.

One player I really like is Bell. Every time I see him he is excellent on the ball, works hard and is very disaplined in his positional play.

On 13/10/2018 at 13:15, baw heid said:

Want to guess what support we get for the home match against Israel  18K in a 80K stadium but according to some the national team is holding its support base.  I remember the qualifiers for Italy, France and Argentina when you couldn't get a Hampden ticket for love or money.We even got 30k to wave goodbye 

Where's this 80k stadium we're playing Israel at?

I remember bigger crowds when we used to qualify too - in fact I was part of the one when we clumsily clinched qualification for Italy.

However, during our long run of failing to qualify, our gates have been better than most countries, even much stronger ones, can often get.  Part of me laments the fact that they've been so good, as it's enabled the SFA to charge more than just about any other Association in Europe for tickets.

Edited by Monkey Tennis