The Queen of the South thread

I would think an attacking midfielder to complement McKenna's resolute, hard qualities is where our main priority should be . The central mid nightmare of Simmons/ McLaughlan is still fresh in the mind and the weakest part of our team last season . The thought of a skilful but clearly labouring Alan Johnston in there does not fill me with confidence . Someone that can move forward and a little comfortable on the ball. Not too much to ask I hope !

I would think an attacking midfielder to complement McKenna's resolute, hard qualities is where our main priority should be . The central mid nightmare of Simmons/ McLaughlan is still fresh in the mind and the weakest part of our team last season . The thought of a skilful but clearly labouring Alan Johnston in there does not fill me with confidence . Someone that can move forward and a little comfortable on the ball. Not too much to ask I hope !

I dont think any of the midfielders who've played pre-season fit that description. My guess would be that if Johnston does, indeed, intend to play 4-4-1-1 then we'll see one holding midfielder (McKenna) and one 'play maker' who'll sit deep and dictate possession. It will then be Gibson, or whoever plays behind the striker to provide the creativity/attacking play from deeper.

Really think the best option is for an attacking midfielder to get back and forward , knowing that McKenna's ' insurance policy' is there to mop up if he's up the park . We should really be able to score goals with our available options and I feel this way would be our best bet . For me , deep lying playmakers , no thanks .

I suspect we will also need someone who can replace McKenna when he gets his inevitable suspension(s).

Really think the best option is for an attacking midfielder to get back and forward , knowing that McKenna's ' insurance policy' is there to mop up if he's up the park . We should really be able to score goals with our available options and I feel this way would be our best bet . For me , deep lying playmakers , no thanks .

Maybe, but if we want to play a passing game, we need someone in the midfield who can take the ball off the back four and build attacks. An attacking midfielder is more suited to a more direct game. Ideally, we could get someone like Steve Tosh, who could dictate the game and get forward. We wont be seeing anyone as good as him anytime soon

I suspect we will also need someone who can replace McKenna when he gets his inevitable suspension(s).

Which is why I think Robertson or Young might get a deal ahead of Durnan - unless he can play midfield too. Although, McGuffie could play the 'McKenna' role too, I suppose.

I think priority has to be a right back. Again, McGuffie could play there, but Id rather see him in the centre with a more attacking fullback.

The two games Ive seen, Johnston has lined up a 4-4-1-1. It looks like he wants to play Gibson in behind the striker, rather than out wide, although Smith and Clark also played there at some point over the two games I saw. Lyle actually played out wide against Clyde. He was the best player on the park, but given his "baggage" I wouldnt sign him.

Wouldnt disagree with your assessments though.

Pretty much agree with all of this too. I wonder if we'll see Young and Robertson get the nod over the others, just because they are more versatile - although, did I read somewhere that Durnan had played centre midfield before?

Hmm!

Although really happy with Johnstons attacking philosophy after the annus horribilis of last season we need to sorn our vsquad out quickly. That means adding fewer quality players rather than a string of low cost fillers. Push the boat out a little on cash as well. An insuider told me that the full-time offer that we made to Craig Malcolm was so desirory that it was less than Alloa offered him to go part time, result was that a player who really wanted to sign for us wouldnt now touch us with a barge pole.

Friend of mine watched Durnan on loan at Elgin and proclaimed him a star in the making and pal in Perth said well thought of by the Saintees so I would definately sign him.

Hopkirk has a good pedigree and by all accounts has played well so another stick on for me, particularly as midfield creativity was a real achilles heel for us last season.

Milligan is low cost, local and at least has an eye for a goal so worth a punt.

I would not sign Scott Robertson as last time he was here was possibly one of the worstnplayers I have ever seen in a Queens shirt... clueless, talentless headless chicken

Ditto the Tan Man... ditched for his singular lack of ability to take a chance and given the baggage wouldnt touch him with a barge pole

Young strikes me as another Simmons ie past his sell by date

Concern for me is how late we are leaving signings, the totemic way we parade our full time status and the obsession with duds who we got rid of first time around. Its all about the quality of the players stoopid and not whether we are full time or not. At this point in time we are behind Ayr (given preseason results), Alloa in momentum and Arbroath in signings ambition.

Good we have taken a period to reflect and watch trialists in action but now get on and sign a few good uns.

By the way I have been going to watch Queens since 1971 and so if you think that a poorly executed but well intentioned political play by our Board will stop me then you have another think coming. Now is the time to rally round and get promotion so we can get back in the big club mixed for when Scottish football is reshaped.

It depends on what you mean by push the boat out financially. The club has already done that by staying full time. We must work within budget now. If Alloa have a bigger budget (which I doubt) then good luck to them. If recent history teaches us in particular and Scottish football in general anything at all then spending money that isn't within a reasonable financial plan is the road to ruin.

My point is not to spend more but get in fewer better. I bet we have a bigger playing budget than Alloa but need to deploy it better via a few really high quality signings. Getting in fillers that failed before is pointless. Rather draft in more under 19s alongside some better players.

For me priority is a couple of forwards as Smith is injury prone and Reilly unproven. Ideally big guy and a goalscorer...could be from Div 2, Spl reject, Div 3, Juniors or non contract. Better go younger for at least 1 of these. Not sure we have solved this yet. Especially when we were spoiled with Sam Parkin last year, probably the best out and out target man I have seen at Palmerston.

Next would another centre half

Hmm!

Although really happy with Johnstons attacking philosophy after the annus horribilis of last season we need to sorn our vsquad out quickly. That means adding fewer quality players rather than a string of low cost fillers. Push the boat out a little on cash as well. An insuider told me that the full-time offer that we made to Craig Malcolm was so desirory that it was less than Alloa offered him to go part time, result was that a player who really wanted to sign for us wouldnt now touch us with a barge pole.

Friend of mine watched Durnan on loan at Elgin and proclaimed him a star in the making and pal in Perth said well thought of by the Saintees so I would definately sign him.

Hopkirk has a good pedigree and by all accounts has played well so another stick on for me, particularly as midfield creativity was a real achilles heel for us last season.

Milligan is low cost, local and at least has an eye for a goal so worth a punt.

I would not sign Scott Robertson as last time he was here was possibly one of the worstnplayers I have ever seen in a Queens shirt... clueless, talentless headless chicken

Ditto the Tan Man... ditched for his singular lack of ability to take a chance and given the baggage wouldnt touch him with a barge pole

Young strikes me as another Simmons ie past his sell by date

Concern for me is how late we are leaving signings, the totemic way we parade our full time status and the obsession with duds who we got rid of first time around. Its all about the quality of the players stoopid and not whether we are full time or not. At this point in time we are behind Ayr (given preseason results), Alloa in momentum and Arbroath in signings ambition.

Good we have taken a period to reflect and watch trialists in action but now get on and sign a few good uns.

By the way I have been going to watch Queens since 1971 and so if you think that a poorly executed but well intentioned political play by our Board will stop me then you have another think coming. Now is the time to rally round and get promotion so we can get back in the big club mixed for when Scottish football is reshaped.

We pushed the boat out financially under Rae, Id rather we didnt go back to that.

Pre-season results mean absolutely nothing and who, exactly, have Arbroath signed that is way beyond our "ambitions"?

You totally contradict yourself, though. You want quality signings but you want them NOW. Surely, waiting to find the right player is more likely to produce quality?

They can't "push the boat out" because they do not have the income to support it barring another cup run or a jump in attendance figures this will be what we have to operate on. Despite my doubts about the board's intelligence, They aren't THAT stupid to overpay for mediocrity again.

Guest Flash

I think waht Mach1 is getting at is that being full-time doesn't mean an awful lot if they are a shower of duds.

Last season, Queens were the worst full-time team in Scotland. Having a team made up of the worst full-time players in the country is not necessarily a recipe for success. Particularly when "full-time" doesn't really mean that.

And spending a bit more doesn't have to mean going back to throwing millions at overpaid donkeys.

My point is not to spend more but get in fewer better. I bet we have a bigger playing budget than Alloa but need to deploy it better via a few really high quality signings. Getting in fillers that failed before is pointless. Rather draft in more under 19s alongside some better players.

For me priority is a couple of forwards as Smith is injury prone and Reilly unproven. Ideally big guy and a goalscorer...could be from Div 2, Spl reject, Div 3, Juniors or non contract. Better go younger for at least 1 of these. Not sure we have solved this yet. Especially when we were spoiled with Sam Parkin last year, probably the best out and out target man I have seen at Palmerston.

Next would another centre half

All for spending better. It's all about balance though. Agree a smaller number of better quality players is a better use of resource but we need to have at least some buffer in terms of numbers to cover the inevitable injuries (Smith?) and suspension (McKenna). Tricky balance.