The Queen of the South thread

Question for the stattos, what has been Queens' most successful league season? ie most points secured, least number of games lost?

I think these are correct but there may be the odd error. They are not my stats originally.

Most league games won in a season - 24 (out of 36) in 1961/62. (We also won 21 out of 30 in season 1950/51 which is a better ratio of 70% wins).

Least games lost in a season - 6 in 1950/51 but as noted above that was a 30 games season. Least in a 36 game season is 7 in that same 1961/62 season above. We also lost only 7 in 1985/86 which was actually a 39 game season and is therefore a better percentage than both the other two being just 17.95%. We lost five in a 34 game season back in 32/33

Most goals scored in a season - 94 in 1959/60 which was a 36 game season at an average of just over 2.6 a game is our best post-war performance but we did get 99 in a 38 game season way back in 1931/32.

Least Goals Conceded in a season - 33 in 1974/75 which was a 38 game season is our best post-war performance but we lost on 31 goals in our first ever league season back in 1923/24 albeit in a 30 game season so not as good on average.

Most points in a season - That's actually the 67 we got when winning the second division in 01/02 but that's only because three points for a win came in after 93/94. If three points for a win had existed at the time we'd have gotten 78 in 1985/86 (39 games).

Any idea on the longest runs in the league for going unbeaten and not conceding?

Haven't a clue on the not conceding front. Anyone?

1985/86 saw us go unbeaten for our first 13 games of the league season before losing 2-1 at Dunfermline in November! We had lost a League Cup tie to Celtic early on that season of course and it was in the days before the Challenge Cup. That was my first season of watching Queens regularly.

I can't think of a longer unbeaten run in the league, even mid-season, but others may know differently.

One final question for now and it is as follows. Since league recostruction in 75-6, how many Premier league clubs have Queens put out in cup competitions ?

The ones I can remember are

St Johnstone and Ayr in 75/76 (SC)

Hibs in 77/78 (LC)

Dunfermline in 90/91 (LC)

Falkirk (I think) but can't remember when it was (LC)

Aberdeen in 2007/08 (SC)

Hibs in 2012/13 (LC)

I might have missed one and not sure about Falkirk. But I'll guess 7.

Tell us how many we've played in total.

Haven't a clue on the not conceding front. Anyone?

1985/86 saw us go unbeaten for our first 13 games of the league season before losing 2-1 at Dunfermline in November! We had lost a League Cup tie to Celtic early on that season of course and it was in the days before the Challenge Cup. That was my first season of watching Queens regularly.

I can't think of a longer unbeaten run in the league, even mid-season, but others may know differently.

I think that run included a good number of clean sheets, but not sure if they were consecutive. 1985/86 was the last time we finished with the best defensive record of whatever division we've been in.

What about the cup ties lost against Premier League opposition then Skyline , seen as no one else wants a go ?

The ones I can remember are

St Johnstone and Ayr in 75/76 (SC)

Hibs in 77/78 (LC)

Dunfermline in 90/91 (LC)

Falkirk (I think) but can't remember when it was (LC)

Aberdeen in 2007/08 (SC)

Hibs in 2012/13 (LC)

I might have missed one and not sure about Falkirk. But I'll guess 7.

Tell us how many we've played in total.

I have this in a file on my home pc somewhere but off the top of my head I had all those except Falkirk. I thought Falkirk were first division at the time but I may be wrong.

Well done Flash, you have them all and I will re -jog your memory about the Falkirk game . We won this game against Premier League Bairns 2-1 in Aug 87 after an inspired show by Jim Hughes and sub Stevie Moore especially . Moore actually ran riot when he was introduced and this will remain the highlight of his otherwise mediocre ( in my opinion) spell. Jim Hughes was freed by Falkirk in that summer of 87 and its fair to say that he had a point to prove . He proved to be a cracking signing for us and scored around seventeen goals from the middle of the park in 87-88. Not the most athletic but certainly very good technically . I felt this was a good teaser because the Falkirk game seems to be a bit of a blind spot for a lot of fans with not a lot really recalling it in what was a very credible win.

I know our ninety minute win against Rangers ( two one ) in 1975 does not count but worth mentioning anyway .----- Was at the Dunfermilne game and this was a real shock win and highlight of McGarveys time . We somehow withstood some incredible pressure and won in extra time . I felt this was Alan Davidsons second best game for us with his best being against Hearts in 1983. Finally , were you at the Hibs Palmerston game in 77 and if so , any recollections ?

Its been a combination of a few different reasons . Emerging talent thats better one year on , absolute dross getting punted , keeping our good performers from last season and a few

inspired signings ( Durnan ,Gibson , Lyle, Mitchell and now the return of Paul Burns ) . Probably the biggest reason is having a boss that wants to try and play good football as opposed to one that doesn't.

Gus Who?????

I was greatly amused to hear the great Gus working for Northsound on Saturday as I was coming home from Aberdeen. He was giving the team news from Pittodrie prior to kick off.

Hopefully he never gets another job in football, I wouldn't wish his brand of "football" on any team.

Is it right that Rangers season tickets allow them into Ramsdens Cup games? If so, might that explain why they want to play us on a CL night (contrary to the agreement with UEFA) and have it live on Alba? The lower the crowd, the lower the amount of the season ticket money they would have to pay Queens, which means they probably benefit from having a lower crowd. While we don't.

Is it right that Rangers season tickets allow them into Ramsdens Cup games? If so, might that explain why they want to play us on a CL night (contrary to the agreement with UEFA) and have it live on Alba? The lower the crowd, the lower the amount of the season ticket money they would have to pay Queens, which means they probably benefit from having a lower crowd. While we don't.

According to the thread on the cup forum, Rangers season ticket holders are getting a £2 discount on tickets for the Queens game, which the club are making up before the money is split with us.

So, no.