The Queen of the South thread

Correct.
Reilly's energy and industry moved us up the park as a team.
Dobbie's relative ineffectiveness this season owed much to our failure to have any real possession in forward areas. 
I'd love to see the pair of them play together.  It won't happen though.  In fact there must be a danger that Dobbie won't get the chance to play for us again.

Don’t say that [emoji31]

Bang on with the rest as is mr x. Pity our buffoon of a manager can’t see that

16 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The conversation was never specifically about the Palmerston surface. I live in Perth so I haven't been on any of the pitches you mention, I'm just using my experience of running around on plastic pitches around here (St Johnstone have one, as do a couple of the schools and amateur clubs, and I've been on the one at links park in Montrose as well, and I'm a ref rather than a player, so always in cushioned trainers). I've always found that it takes longer to recover properly from a game on plastic than it does on grass.

Sorry, didn't realise you stayed in Perth. 

What a shame. 

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Correct.

Reilly's energy and industry moved us up the park as a team.

Dobbie's relative ineffectiveness this season owed much to our failure to have any real possession in forward areas. 

I'd love to see the pair of them play together.  It won't happen though.  In fact there must be a danger that Dobbie won't get the chance to play for us again.

Yes this unthinkable thought had crossed my mind, but I don't think it is a genuine concern.   He will know himself he had a disappointing season, and even acknowledging the fact this wasn't especially his own fault, he strikes me as the sort of character who would want to put it right.  I'm also sure he wouldn't want to leave Queens, and likely call time on his career, in such a fashion.  He certainly deserves a far greater send off.

The only real obstacles would be a lack of funds on our part, or a lack of fitness on his.  I assume the external funding that has allowed him to join us for this second stint remains in place given he already has a contract for next season.  I also see no reason why his fitness should be a concern.  He seemed to have recovered from the hamstring niggles that plagued the tail end of the previous season, and he is meant to be more of a fitness fanatic in is latter years than ever before.  I can't imagine he has spent his time during furlough getting back to his previous size.

The biggest concern is probably that he simply can't face another season working under Johnston.  His body language last season was not of a man enjoying his job.  Whilst I'd like to think his love for the club is such that he wouldn't just chuck it, you couldn't exactly blame him.  Plenty of our fanbase had done exactly that thanks to our manager's ineptitude.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Yes this unthinkable thought had crossed my mind, but I don't think it is a genuine concern.   He will know himself he had a disappointing season, and even acknowledging the fact this wasn't especially his own fault, he strikes me as the sort of character who would want to put it right.  I'm also sure he wouldn't want to leave Queens, and likely call time on his career, in such a fashion.  He certainly deserves a far greater send off.

The only real obstacles would be a lack of funds on our part, or a lack of fitness on his.  I assume the external funding that has allowed him to join us for this second stint remains in place given he already has a contract for next season.  I also see no reason why his fitness should be a concern.  He seemed to have recovered from the hamstring niggles that plagued the tail end of the previous season, and he is meant to be more of a fitness fanatic in is latter years than ever before.  I can't imagine he has spent his time during furlough getting back to his previous size.

The biggest concern is probably that he simply can't face another season working under Johnston.  His body language last season was not of a man enjoying his job.  Whilst I'd like to think his love for the club is such that he wouldn't just chuck it, you couldn't exactly blame him.  Plenty of our fanbase had done exactly that thanks to our manager's ineptitude.

My main concern isn't that he'll choose to chuck it.

It's that it'll be so long until we play in front of crowds that his contract will have expired and he'll have retired.

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Disappointing, if true.

I just hope we do a better job of explaining the decision than Dunfermline

3 players being kept on? What about the coaches of the first team and youth teams or the office staff are they affected?

8 minutes ago, third lanark said:

3 players being kept on? What about the coaches of the first team and youth teams or the office staff are they affected?

Not case of being kept on these players were contracted till end of next season the rest of the players contracts finish end of this month. 

Disappointing, if true.
I just hope we do a better job of explaining the decision than Dunfermline

Likely there will be no comment at all. Unless I’m missing something (quite possibly [emoji23]) this is just players reaching the end of their contracts and given there is little or no chance of us playing in the near future why would we increase our out-goings if we don’t have too.

I hope it's been handled appropriately in terms of treating people respectfully.

However, without wishing to sound unduly callous, I have no problem at all with the decision itself. 

With no pandemic, I'd not have been expecting many of these contracts to be renewed.  In current circumstances, it strikes me as the very definition of a no brainer.

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

Likely there will be no comment at all. Unless I’m missing something (quite possibly emoji23.png) this is just players reaching the end of their contracts and given there is little or no chance of us playing in the near future why would we increase our out-goings if we don’t have too.

Its being discussed at length on other threads, but other clubs have extended contracts to keep players on the furlough scheme. Others, including us, have chosen not to.

Its being discussed at length on other threads, but other clubs have extended contracts to keep players on the furlough scheme. Others, including us, have chosen not to.

Fair enough I hadn’t picked up on that. I still won’t be surprised if we don’t make any official comment on the matter.