The Queen of the South thread

27 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Can I quote Mr Hewitson said ' The manager is still on furlough at the moment. He'll probably be back to work during middle of August. He'll Possibly be back on a part time basis , with three days on then two days off. I'm sure he'll have a list of potential targets'

Does that mean no signings till mid Aug! Surely Not, can see no wages till then but surely the manager should be getting players contracted to start when preseason kicks off. 

6 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm a wee bit disappointed to see Jamie Macdonald go elsewhere.  I'm not normally one who is pining for ex-players to return, if anything I think some of our fans are far too obsessed with the notion.  However Macdonald seemed like an obvious one that made sense and was realistic as well.  He would have been a safe pair of hands and lord knows we need that next season.

It's well documented that he was fed up travelling to the West for training and wanted something nearer Edinburgh so for that reason alone it was never going to happen for us.

8 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Stewart🤦‍♂️

Stewart didnt work out well obviously but McCrorie, Clark and MacDonald were all outstanding successes as loan keepers. Cammy Bell too. Craig Samson and Lee Robinson (1st spell was on loan) did ok too. Our loan keeper success v failure rate is pretty good.

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well because professional and legal advice on the issue of extending furlough, particularly on players subsequently released, was mixed and some clubs erred on the side of caution. We were far from the only club to do so, it appears close to 50/50 in which clubs extended furlough and which didnt. 

So is Hewittson some sort of visionary then,    My point is i would imagine you would try to  resign some of last year's squad,  Lyon, Murray etc ,  a complete rebuild of the squad at short notice on a reduced season is that not playing ' Russian roulette ' with the clubs future...  The furlough scheme is proving to be a game changer with clubs technically able to claim until the season starts.  I wish the  queens no ill and good luck ahead..

25 minutes ago, Passionate said:

So is Hewittson some sort of visionary then,    My point is i would imagine you would try to  resign some of last year's squad,  Lyon, Murray etc ,  a complete rebuild of the squad at short notice on a reduced season is that not playing ' Russian roulette ' with the clubs future...  The furlough scheme is proving to be a game changer with clubs technically able to claim until the season starts.  I wish the  queens no ill and good luck ahead..

Don't think many if any of the first team players from last season will be back apart from Dobbie....

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

And Kevin Holt.

Are we not counting Jack Leighfield as a "first team player" too. I know he's never been 1st choice as keeper yet but he's got plenty of 1st team experience and he's certainly 1st team squad level.

I still hope we might yet re-sign a small number of last year's squad but we shall see.

Are we not counting Jack Leighfield as a "first team player" too. I know he's never been 1st choice as keeper yet but he's got plenty of 1st team experience and he's certainly 1st team squad level.
I still hope we might yet re-sign a small number of last year's squad but we shall see.

Yes Jack is first team squad too. Who knows he may be first choice. I would take back a very small number of last year’s squad but as others have said the clear out of some was much needed .

26 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Quick question. 

Scotty Mercer, solid seasoned fullback or average jobber. Or to put it anther way will he be missed down Palmeston way? 

Yes Mercer will be missed at Queens he improved every season good attacking fullback, who has he signed for? 

33 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No, I always thot he was the same as Jim Atkinson was a cheap option to have sitting on the bench for cover. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yes Mercer will be missed at Queens he improved every season good attacking fullback, who has he signed for? 

I heard Queens were going with youth next season and as he was out of contract..... Raith are looking for a seasoned right back. 

2+2 & 2+2 = 6 I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the 1st time. 

40 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Quick question. 

Scotty Mercer, solid seasoned fullback or average jobber. Or to put it anther way will he be missed down Palmeston way? 

Bit of both!

You hear talk of “solid 7/10 every week” players. Mercer was a solid 6/10 every week. Sadly that ranks him among our top performers over the past few years.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Would like to see  AJ make an attempt to sign a couple of our best performers Murray in the first half of the season & Semple the second half... Unfortunately if you listen to the rumour it looks likely the only ones possibly coming back will be some local youngsters. (E Gourlay already chosen elsewhere tho).

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

49 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Bit of both!

You hear talk of “solid 7/10 every week” players. Mercer was a solid 6/10 every week. Sadly that ranks him among our top performers over the past few years.

I think he's better than that and he'd certainly be in the category of players I'd like to see us try to re-sign. I never thought he was as bad as some people made out when he first joined us either though he was undeniably absolutely torn a new one by Lewis Morgan a couple of times. I think he got better every season though and people forget he's only just turned 25 because he looks older. I don't think he's a player who will ever make it to the Premier probably but he's a sold full time Championship level right back, capable of covering left back if need be.