The Queen of the South thread

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You can extend an existing contract any time you want and keep the player furloughed. Hence what we saw from Raith yesterday. You cant recruit a NEW employee and furlough them. 

Begs the question why bag the majority of your squad,  when you could have rode the furlough scheme like all other clubs and then resigned them prior to contracts running g out and continue them on furlough,  Queens seem to have totally screwed this and will probably not sign anybody till last minute,  could get lucky with free agents late on,   a bit of Russian roulette though....

Begs the question why bag the majority of your squad,  when you could have rode the furlough scheme like all other clubs and then resigned them prior to contracts running g out and continue them on furlough,  Queens seem to have totally screwed this and will probably not sign anybody till last minute,  could get lucky with free agents late on,   a bit of Russian roulette though....
[emoji38] there speaks a man who never watched QoS last season. Getting shot of our squad wasn't close to a screw-up. It was a masterstroke.

43 minutes ago, Passionate said:

A Russian roulette is infinitely preferable to having the gang that we had last year back.

My post was tongue-in-cheek given the recent discussions in here. Good luck to the guy (apart from against us). He's still very raw but you can see he has potential. As SD said, he was very similar to Jamie Adams and the last player I said that about was Joe Thomson. But Thomson was more of a threat. Is he still with Dunfermline or has he been released?

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
33 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

My post was tongue-in-cheek given the recent discussions in here. Good luck to the guy (apart from against us). He's still very raw but you can see he has potential. As SD said, he was very similar to Jamie Adams and the last player I said that about was Joe Thomson. But Thomson was more of a threat. Is he still with Dunfermline or has he been released?

Released, signed for Derry City I think.

On 14/07/2020 at 16:22, Skyline Drifter said:

I think that's an exaggeration. EK pay decent money at Lowland League level but I doubt they could actually outbid even a part time Championship side like Arbroath or Alloa for a player if the Championship side really wanted them. I'd be willing to bet both ourselves and Raith have a bigger player budget than EK. Not by a massive amount but it will be bigger. A player like Lewis Kidd possibly fancies going part time at a decent part time wage at a club where he'll play ever week and probably be one of the better players. Kidd wasn't a regular starter for us last season and wasn't a regular starter in 3 previous seasons at Falkirk either. Paul Paton is in his mid 30's now and stepping back from full time football. There's no certainty he'd have got a full time offer anyway despite bouncing back to a semi reasonable year at Dunfermline last season. Even their fans were split on whether he should have been retained. He was awful with Falkirk the year before.

I don't think EK are competing with full time Championship sides really. I have a rough idea what they were paying 1st team players last year. I know less about Cove and Kelty but suspect their budgets are both bigger than EK's.

Steven Anderson’s interview explains a lot about why lower league teams are succeeding in signing players right now. It’s not about money, but security, and the mess at the top right now is not promising security. He looked to be a stick on to resign with Raith, but instead takes a two-year, part-time deal at Forfar. He also comments o why players are moving to the Lowland League.

Big season coming up for Wilson you have to feel.  He's definitely got all the attributes to be a combative, box-to-box type player but he was a shadow of his former self second time round for us.  Last seasons squad were crying out for someone to take charge of things in the middle of the park and drag them out of the mire but instead of doing that he joined them in being a passive wet blanket of a player.  I'm not holding it against him too much, it was a big ask for a young lad to salvage an already sunken ship.  I'm sure with a run of games and playing in a successful team he will do well.  It's definitely true to say he is similar in style to Jamie Adams, but not as enthusiastic.  Even at our lowest ebb last season with the rest of the team downing tools, Adams would have been flying into tackles and making lung-busting runs.  We didn't get any of that from Wilson.  Maybe it has been coached out of him at Killie in favour of a more disciplined approach, or perhaps it was down to Johnston and his rag tag bunch of losers.  Either way I'm not too disappointed he won't be returning, but I will be interested to see how it turns out for him.

I'm a wee bit disappointed to see Jamie Macdonald go elsewhere.  I'm not normally one who is pining for ex-players to return, if anything I think some of our fans are far too obsessed with the notion.  However Macdonald seemed like an obvious one that made sense and was realistic as well.  He would have been a safe pair of hands and lord knows we need that next season.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

Big season coming up for Wilson you have to feel.  He's definitely got all the attributes to be a combative, box-to-box type player but he was a shadow of his former self second time round for us.  Last seasons squad were crying out for someone to take charge of things in the middle of the park and drag them out of the mire but instead of doing that he joined them in being a passive wet blanket of a player.  I'm not holding it against him too much, it was a big ask for a young lad to salvage an already sunken ship.  I'm sure with a run of games and playing in a successful team he will do well.  It's definitely true to say he is similar in style to Jamie Adams, but not as enthusiastic.  Even at our lowest ebb last season with the rest of the team downing tools, Adams would have been flying into tackles and making lung-busting runs.  We didn't get any of that from Wilson.  Maybe it has been coached out of him at Killie in favour of a more disciplined approach, or perhaps it was down to Johnston and his rag tag bunch of losers.  Either way I'm not too disappointed he won't be returning, but I will be interested to see how it turns out for him.

I'm a wee bit disappointed to see Jamie Macdonald go elsewhere.  I'm not normally one who is pining for ex-players to return, if anything I think some of our fans are far too obsessed with the notion.  However Macdonald seemed like an obvious one that made sense and was realistic as well.  He would have been a safe pair of hands and lord knows we need that next season.

MacDonald left Killie because of all the traveling he lives in Edinburgh so was always going to sign for a club near to him .

I think we will go with Leighfield this season 

1 minute ago, Northfield 53 said:

MacDonald left Killie because of all the traveling he lives in Edinburgh so was always going to sign for a club near to him .

I think we will go with Leighfield this season 

I think we will be relying on the loan markets again for a goalie. 

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Box to box powerful midfielder. Closest thing I've seen to Jamie Adams since Jamie Adams. Not really a goal threat, scored once for us, not a creative player, but a physically imposing one. A bit ungainly but good in the air and can fill in at centre back if required. I was hoping he might reappear here but presumably he wont if Dunfermline are seriously interested. He had two successful (*)  loan spells with us in last two seasons.

(*) I say successful in that he looked decent, certainly strengthened the midfield, was generally popular with fans and won a load of Man of the Match awards. That said, his arrival saw us barely win a game in either season and fall from the fringes of the promotion playoffs to 9th. I dont think that was his fault, and last years bad run began before he arrived, but his win percentage with us was dreadful.

A good post which captures the reality.

Wilson did seem to  strengthen things, moreso first time around.  There simply is no getting away from the fact, however, that we entered nosedives around the time of his arrival.      Twice!

It didn't look like his fault on either occasion, but he certainly wasn't able to arrest it. It's therefore impossible to mourn the fact that he's wound up elsewhere.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Well because professional and legal advice on the issue of extending furlough, particularly on players subsequently released, was mixed and some clubs erred on the side of caution. We were far from the only club to do so, it appears close to 50/50 in which clubs extended furlough and which didnt. 

Guest Flash
On 20/05/2020 at 09:19, Flash said:

I think he has played 19 games in total for us in the Championship, which is roughly the equivalent of half a season. We have won one of the 19 games.

Full record is P19 W1 D4 L14  Scored 10 Conceded 34

7 points from 19 games.

Our record in the games Wilson played for us

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:
I think we will be relying on the loan markets again for a goalie. 

Hopefully. The best 'keepers we've had in recent years have been via this source.

Stewart🤦‍♂️

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Can I quote Mr Hewitson said ' The manager is still on furlough at the moment. He'll probably be back to work during middle of August. He'll Possibly be back on a part time basis , with three days on then two days off. I'm sure he'll have a list of potential targets'