The Queen of the South thread

Im really liking our midfield 3. Pybus seems to be relishing playing further forward and is snapping away at defenders and not giving them a minutes peace. Shields is also doing the same up front. McCabe is so adept at picking up the loose balls. So often when clearances are made or 2nd balls are there to be picked up its him that gathers it. It shows how good a reader of the game he is. McKee never panics when he gets it. He always looks to take a touch and brings that composure we look for. We havent really had a player like him since Kerr left. 

I literally started that post stating "Agreed" in response to a post saying that the management team deserve credit. We're allowed to enjoy the results over the last couple of weeks, whilst also recognising the circumstances surrounding them.

Then went to comment on opposition, we were on a piss poor run beforehand as well. Don’t get why we can’t enjoy a run of 3 wins instead of bringing up raith not turning up, ayr being in free fall. Before this run I couldn’t have seen us picking up anything in the league bar against Arbroath or Alloa possibly.

Anyway, really happy with that last night, as much as at times it can be not pretty on the eye, it’s effective the way we’re playing at moment and I’ll take that everyday of the week. Was nervous before the game, think more due to the hype around Queens Parks team than the actual players them self who are just championship also rans minus a few. Thought our performance was pretty professional. Ferguson not having a save to make, Defence seems to be clicking slowly sometimes unconventional but a damn sight better than it’s been recently. Midfield 3 really seem to have clicked in the roles a large part of our improvement. McCabe the deeper of the 3 breaking things up well, could be better in possession at times, must have been about 3/4 times in a row he went long and nowhere near our players in first half. McKee has a great deal of quality and a lot more grit than I expected him to bring, really liking the look of him so far and Pybus getting us pressing high from ‘’no.10’’ position, he also has looked better in possession than normal until it comes to shooting. Two wingers, East probably had a quiet night but the shift he puts in is obviously helping us on the whole, and him as outlet is also getting us up the park quicker and Fitzpatrick still going through motions for me, although at least a couple of moments of quality. I’d like to see us bring a winger in, with Shields being used up tops now. On him, what a player boy can do a bit of everything, that cross for second is inch perfect and the goal sums up the mood he’s in at moment, superb. Hope the board are doing everything they can to get him signed up, probably be significant interest about him now but hopefully after his time down south etc, a season or 2 playing and enjoying his football before moving on would do him no harm.

Don’t like saying this but Dobbs getting injured, has helped us shape up the way we currently are. Instead of trying to shoe horn Dobbs in, we’ve found a system that works for us. Pains me saying that.

Where would the rest like to see us strengthen during January? Was nice to have a bit more depth/options on the bench. Personally would like a bit more physical option in mould of McKenna, a winger and maybe a versatile defender. Before I’d have wanted a striker but Shields has changed that, with Dobbs hopefully not far away, Goss and East being options to cover I think were okay.

It has been mentioned more than once and we will soon find out. I am very hopeful that it will especially with money raised being specifically for this purpose. 

With all due respect the Trust doesn’t and won’t ever have enough financial clout to make any difference at Queens. That money raised for these ‘shares’ is not going to move the club into its next financial level.

The extra £1,500 recently raised on top of the £2,000 plus we have given the club already this season via shirt draws season tickets, sponsorships will certainly help the club. 

However you are missing the point which is that it is not the money coming directly from the Trust that will make the difference but it is the money coming from our supporters which will have the biggest impact of all on the club.

I’m not sure how credit the management team should get for the turnaround. AJ liked to tinker with the starting line up and positioning then all of a sudden before the Raith game we found ourselves with a number of injuries and starting 11 almost picked. Itself. Let’s hope when players come back to full fitness he doesn’t start tinkering again to much.

With ICT game being postponed today, I think our game against them on Tuesday will be moved to another date. Disappointing if this is the case with us being on a nice wee run. 

Personally don’t see it as a bad thing with 2 important home games coming up. Gives players a chance to recover, us to strengthen.

Im chuffed to bits our game with ICT is off. They are our bogey team and the chances are if we lost then the confidence levels could have drained. Last night I feel we beat a team we could well have looked like had we went through our usual process of being able to sign the obvious type players we usually go for at the start of a window. Right now we look to be a vibrant team with experience in certain areas and youthful talent in others. Gibson has been a credit to himself. The work he put in to get as fit as he is is incredible. 

Key sequence of games coming up now - Arbroath & Morton at home followed by Alloa away.  Need to do well in these games with some tougher ones (Hearts, Dundee & Dunfermline) to follow.  An important part of the season for Queens I'm thinking.

2 hours ago, jakeyman said:

I’m not sure how credit the management team should get for the turnaround. AJ liked to tinker with the starting line up and positioning then all of a sudden before the Raith game we found ourselves with a number of injuries and starting 11 almost picked. Itself. Let’s hope when players come back to full fitness he doesn’t start tinkering again to much.

This is probably an act of high treason for even thinking about this but ....... has our improvement coincided with Dobbs being out through injury?  Now I'm not for a moment suggesting that Stephen has been the cause of our difficulties this season - he clearly hasn't been to blame for a defence that didn't do its job or for a midfield that didn't do its job either, but I've had the feeling for a while that with Dobbs being such a major feature of our squad AJ has more or less always put him on the team sheet first and then tried to build the rest around him .... and all the while Dobbs powers have been (quite naturally) on the wane.  So (as jakeyman says above) perhaps injury misfortune has handed AJ a formation that works by default.  The worry could be that once Dobbs is fit again we disrupt what works to slot him back into the team.  Shields up front with the pace of East and Fitzpatrick is beginning to look decent.  Maybe with his decreasing pace/sharpness Dobbs should be considered now as a second half impact sub for Fitzpatrick or East (to bring some added guile) against defences that are tiring?

12 hours ago, Bluenortherner said:

The current BOD are maybe Queens fans, but none of them have a clue on how to run the business side of the club. The apathy towards Queens in the town is probably close to the worst it has ever been. They make mistake after mistake; it’s all about me me me and f**k youse lot.

They have taken Queens to a level that is way above their abilities; they haven’t got the know how of what to do next. I just can’t understand why they want to keep things in a 3 man committee type rather than publicly invite non executive Director on to the board.

Just get a fucking grip!

Mods, please.

11 hours ago, jakeyman said:

It is all comes from the manager he is the man I wanted sacked a month ago .

He signs the players he picks the team and he sets up the team .

He has eventually got a set up that seems to be working the last 3 games we have played as a team every player has played there part .

We must keep at it we have a crucial few games coming up .

Good to see we are trying to sign a few more  we will need them as injuries and suspension plus  covid will affect us..

All this and we still have Dobbie to come back in 

2 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

It is all comes from the manager he is the man I wanted sacked a month ago .

He signs the players he picks the team and he sets up the team .

He has eventually got a set up that seems to be working the last 3 games we have played as a team every player has played there part .

We must keep at it we have a crucial few games coming up .

Good to see we are trying to sign a few more  we will need them as injuries and suspension plus  covid will affect us..

All this and we still have Dobbie to come back in 

Good to see you in such a positive mode though possibly no surprise given we again swept aside a Queens Park side who by your assessment have an excellent squad which is better than many Championship squads. Onwards and upwards.

Home to Hibs. Happy enough with that. A game we'll be expected to lose so no pressure. And given there won't be fans this season I really don't care about going out early this season and concentrating on the league.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Home to Hibs. Happy enough with that. A game we'll be expected to lose so no pressure. And given there won't be fans this season I really don't care about going out early this season and concentrating on the league.

I can't say I agree with that in the slightest.  Given our performances in the league the past few season, I'd take any excuse to concentrate on something other than the league.  I love the Scottish Cup and no matter the circumstances I want us to progress as far as possible.  Especially as we never progress very far.

What's the script with TV games for this round?  I suppose it's fair to assume both Celtic and Rangers will be shown.  If there is a third tie then we could be in with a shout.  Hibs and Jack Ross seem to be golden boys in the media this season, there is a ready written narrative for them with anything to do with Hibs and the Scottish Cup, plus they love to bang on about Palmerston being a "proper old school stadium" which would be the perfect venue for "the romance of the cup".

5 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I can't say I agree with that in the slightest.  Given our performances in the league the past few season, I'd take any excuse to concentrate on something other than the league.  I love the Scottish Cup and no matter the circumstances I want us to progress as far as possible.  Especially as we never progress very far.

What's the script with TV games for this round?  I suppose it's fair to assume both Celtic and Rangers will be shown.  If there is a third tie then we could be in with a shout.  Hibs and Jack Ross seem to be golden boys in the media this season, there is a ready written narrative for them with anything to do with Hibs and the Scottish Cup, plus they love to bang on about Palmerston being a "proper old school stadium" which would be the perfect venue for "the romance of the cup".

Looks like just one live BBC game in round 3

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-announce-scottish-cup-broadcasting-deals/?rid=2107

ETA - turns out thats wrong and it was amended for this year. Can be up to 5 games in R3

Edited by Mr X

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Did we get a fee from the BBC  for the live game against Queens Park ?

Will make a decent amount out of the Hibs game with streaming the game can we not up the £10 to say £15 for playing a SPL team or would most fans not be happy with that surely we must try and make as much money out of the game .