The Queen of the South thread

14 hours ago, Flash said:

Yes, it is good. Although I suspect quite a lot of it will be down to the club having a substantially reduced wage bill, and having minimal other costs between about the 20th of March and 31st May. If the season had played out to a finish, the income from walk-ups for the 4 games probably wouldn’t have been that much but the full wage bill would have had to be paid. It is also possible we could have finished last, which would have reduced the prize money.
So, although the profit is welcome, you’d need to see how much of it was due to the pandemic.

I thought I was negative

.The club makes a profit last season and going to make a very good profit this season as well 

The Dykes and Scots Gov. money will help us but surely that is all that matters 

Well we've got to see how long Shields is out for now. If it's only a few weeks then we can live with that. Next few games were always going to be hard anyway. If it's much longer than that I think we'll be in trouble. No other obvious goalscoring threat and I doubt we'll find the quality we're looking for on the loan market. Not much else learned from today. Jones look a player, fast, good on the ball, but also a steady hand. Mebude has lots of potential but probably needs someone like Shields to slip a pass into rather than hit long shots or overrun it.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher
I was slightly talking shite before.

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Well we've got to see how long Shields is out for now. If it's only a few weeks then we can live with that. Next few games were always going to be hard anyway. If it's much longer than that I think we'll be in trouble. No other obvious goalscoring threat and I doubt we'll find the quality we're looking for on the loan market. Not much else learned from today. Jones look a player, fast, good on the ball, but also a steady hand. Mebude has lots of potential but probably needs someone like Shields to slip a pass into rather than hit long shots or overrun it.

If we had a decent defence, the game today would have finished 1-0, even after Shields went off. 
The defence is absolute garbage and would be on schedule to concede 82 goals in a normal season. That awful Brechin team that was out of its depth conceded 90.
What we have is an all the eggs in one basket policy of relying on Shields to outscore the opposition, either by himself or by creating for others.  Very difficult to do when you pretty much need to score a minimum of 3 to win nearly every game.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

If we had a decent defence, the game today would have finished 1-0, even after Shields went off. 
The defence is absolute garbage and would be on schedule to concede 82 goals in a normal season. That awful Brechin team that was out of its depth conceded 90.
What we have is an all the eggs in one basket policy of relying on Shields to outscore the opposition, either by himself or by creating for others.  Very difficult to do when you pretty much need to score a minimum of 3 to win nearly every game.

You always build a team from the back not the other way round .

No point saying this not going to happen  but I would sack Alan Johnston for today's result it was that bad .

The man is clueless fine when Sheilds is on top form winning games but when things go wrong he does not have a clue how to change things or how to use his subs .

Any other manager goes 2 -1 down you react change things not just hope things will be okay .

Goss on 90 min go 3 at the back really go for it in the last min .

When we went 2 up against Arbroath Dick Campbell changed it straight away we did nothing almost lost the game

Whatever happens at the end of this season I hope we do not renew the current Manager's contract. Perhaps if we survive another year in the Championship the Board may be tempted to give AJ another contract but that will have us remaining as relegation candidates. Putting on Goss in the 90th minute I can understand if we were winning 2-1and AJ was trying to run down the clock, but if that was an attempt to salvage something it shows someone totally devoid of ideas. I actually think we have a descent team, what lets us down is the management of these players. 

In the match reports I've read in today's papers,  AJ is more concerned in talking about the delayed kick-off because the original referee had not been Covid tested (or had a delayed Covid result)  and how it affected his team. He may of course have been responding to a journalist's question but I would have been more interested in his comments on why we threw away three points from a winning position.  If he was so worried about the delayed kick-off why did it take his team almost 10 minutes to get on the field after the match officials and the  Alloa team were out and ready to start.

Whatever happens at the end of this season I hope we do not renew the current Manager's contract. Perhaps if we survive another year in the Championship the Board may be tempted to give AJ another contract but that will have us remaining as relegation candidates. Putting on Goss in the 90th minute I can understand if we were winning 2-1and AJ was trying to run down the clock, but if that was an attempt to salvage something it shows someone totally devoid of ideas. I actually think we have a descent team, what lets us down is the management of these players. 
Definitely. The last few weeks have been ok but we can't hide from the fact we've been more awful than good. Even if we avoid the drop I hoping for some fresh ideas next season. I just think AJ is out of his depth at this level.

You always build a team from the back not the other way round .
No point saying this not going to happen  but I would sack Alan Johnston for today's result it was that bad .
The man is clueless fine when Sheilds is on top form winning games but when things go wrong he does not have a clue how to change things or how to use his subs .
Any other manager goes 2 -1 down you react change things not just hope things will be okay .
Goss on 90 min go 3 at the back really go for it in the last min .
When we went 2 up against Arbroath Dick Campbell changed it straight away we did nothing almost lost the game

I think the main difference is other teams have players who can come and and change a game. It would appear that AJ doesn’t trust or rate the lads on the bench.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

If he was so worried about the delayed kick-off why did it take his team almost 10 minutes to get on the field after the match officials and the  Alloa team were out and ready to start.

10 minutes? I was watching, it was more like 2 or 3 mins. And I wasnt there but, given our team changing facilities were not inside the ground, and that nobody knew with any certainty when it was going to kick off, might it just be that it took that long once the ref actually came out for someone to run along and tell them he was ready? 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

In the match reports I've read in today's papers,  AJ is more concerned in talking about the delayed kick-off because the original referee had not been Covid tested (or had a delayed Covid result)  and how it affected his team. He may of course have been responding to a journalist's question but I would have been more interested in his comments on why we threw away three points from a winning position.  If he was so worried about the delayed kick-off why did it take his team almost 10 minutes to get on the field after the match officials and the  Alloa team were out and ready to start.

Image result for gordon ramsay blaming the spatula meme

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

10 minutes? I was watching, it was more like 2 or 3 mins. And I wasnt there but, given our team changing facilities were not inside the ground, and that nobody knew with any certainty when it was going to kick off, might it just be that it took that long once the ref actually came out for someone to run along and tell them he was ready? 

I wouldn't want to be paid on time rate working for you. It was a lot nearer 10 minutes than 3 minutes that the Alloa team and match officials were hanging about before Queens came onto the park. 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I wouldn't want to be paid on time rate working for you. It was a lot nearer 10 minutes than 3 minutes that the Alloa team and match officials were hanging about before Queens came onto the park. 

The Alloa team were out way before the match officials as far as I could see. They were out before I even started paying attention. It may have been nearer 10 mins behind them but that's up to Alloa whether they wait on the pitch or in their dressing rooms. Looked only a couple of minutes from the ref coming out to our players arrived.

Am I missing something but what does East bring to our team. After watching yesterday's game and just don't see him involved at all. But seems to be a favourite of Johnston's now. Willie looks tired now reasonable first half but not at races second. When shields went off why not put Goss up top. Afters shields went off Jones disappeared from the game. Were was McGrory yesterday. Not even in squad. Really up against it next few weeks

Am I missing something but what does East bring to our team. After watching yesterday's game and just don't see him involved at all. But seems to be a favourite of Johnston's now. Willie looks tired now reasonable first half but not at races second. When shields went off why not put Goss up top. Afters shields went off Jones disappeared from the game. Were was McGrory yesterday.
Not even in squad. Really up against it next few weeks

I don’t think you are missing anything - East has been anonymous almost since he arrived. He came as a striker but he rarely ever shows the hunting instinct of a goal scorer, seldom makes good runs, never seems to “gamble” and anticipate where the ball might fall in the box and I can hardly remember him having a meaningful shot at goal. These are credentials for a forward player that simply dont add up and his lack of threat simply piles the pressure on Shields to create and score goals. This should be a shared responsibility amongst the “front 4”. I am far from convinced that Goss is the answer either but at least on his fleeting appearances he looks hungry to get involved in the sharp end.

Aye East isn't for me. As I've already said, you don't change a winning team so I can't criticise AJ for keeping him in up until yesterday. Has he ever played CM before? You can scrape by being anonymous out wide but in the heart of the action it's a lot more noticeable and more dangerous for the side.

The Goss shouts here and on the match thread are pointless IMO. Putting Goss in place of Shields would have yielded the same outcome. The system AJ deploys wouldn't benefit Goss and he'd just have been like Dobbie in that role: wasted. If Shields is out for the foreseeable then AJ needs a new approach until he's back as we don't have anyone else in the squad capable of doing the Shields role. I fully expect the same system to be deployed though and us carrying absolutely no goal threat against Hearts.

35 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The Goss shouts here and on the match thread are pointless IMO. Putting Goss in place of Shields would have yielded the same outcome. The system AJ deploys wouldn't benefit Goss and he'd just have been like Dobbie in that role: wasted. 

I genuinely don't know the answer to this: what is Goss' game all about?

7 hours ago, football maniac said:

If Shields is out for any length of time Faissal El Bakhtaoui is now a free agent. Just thought Id put it out there. 

If El Bak is available we must try and sign him that would be the signing to keep us up .

Shields ankle is badly swollen even at best he will be out weeks we will need a replacement probable end up getting another boy on loan .