The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
13 minutes ago, Nadroj said:
Connor Shields lads - what can we expect?

Killie? He'll definitely be elsewhere next season but if Killie don't have a manager the now it's a bit of a strange one at this point?

James Fowler is their "head of football operations" and has apparently watched Shields a few times, so it's not that strange really.

14 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Aye he’s joining us on a PCE apparently. Just wondering what type of player he is - I’ve seen bits and bobs and vaguely remember him at Albion rovers where he was pretty raw

Best played through the middle, but can play wide as well. Strong, pacey and direct, with a pretty good finish on him as well.

8 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Best played through the middle, but can play wide as well. Strong, pacey and direct, with a pretty good finish on him as well.

Cheers. Think he would handle the step up (assuming we stay up) well?

James Fowler is their "head of football operations" and has apparently watched Shields a few times, so it's not that strange really.
Suppose. It's not that uncommon now but as a player I'd be wary signing for a managerless club incase the new guy doesn't rate me.
He's a good age and has a good work rate as well as ability. I'll be surprised if he doesn't manage the step up.

22 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Pretty much as 19QOS19 says, he's a hard worker and appears to have the attributes, so I think he'll make the step up fine.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Suppose. It's not that uncommon now but as a player I'd be wary signing for a managerless club incase the new guy doesn't rate me.

He's a good age and has a good work rate as well as ability. I'll be surprised if he doesn't manage the step up.

That's fair, but it's more and more how clubs operate.

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

2 hours ago, Nadroj said:

Aye he’s joining us on a PCE apparently. Just wondering what type of player he is - I’ve seen bits and bobs and vaguely remember him at Albion rovers where he was pretty raw

Fowler had Shields at Sunderland when he was Jack Ross's assistant he will know all about him. 

I can't see Queens sign anyone today not sure about this but I think we have 2 more loans to use loan window closes at the end of the month .

More important keeping all the players we have just now interest in Shields hopefully we can keep him to at least the end of the season .

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Hadn’t noticed the ICT game now scheduled for Wednesday 17th at 6.30pm.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/fixture-amendment-47403

Quite a tough run of fixtures this month to finish the second part of the season - Hearts at home, ICT away, Dundee away, Dunfermline at home.

45 minutes ago, oldhat said:

It is.  TBH, if we get 5 points from them that would be ok.

OK? 

Given we took zero points from our first fixtures against these 4 teams two draws, a single defeat and a win for 5 points would be a most satisfactory return.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Hadn’t noticed the ICT game now scheduled for Wednesday 17th at 6.30pm.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/fixture-amendment-47403
Quite a tough run of fixtures this month to finish the second part of the season - Hearts at home, ICT away, Dundee away, Dunfermline at home.

Good to see the club making a profit though Flash eh ??

37 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

OK? 

Given we took zero points from our first fixtures against these 4 teams two draws, a single defeat and a win for 5 points would be a most satisfactory return.

And the aggregate score for the 4 games first time round was 4 - 15, with none of the opponents scoring less than 3.
Looking at the other 4 teams we’ve played twice, the improvement in goals conceded all came against Raith - 5 down to nil.
The goals conceded in the other 3 games was the same - 5, although spread slightly differently. So, it remains to be seen whether the defensive improvement shown in the Raith game will be repeated.
Where there was a definite improvement was in goals scored against Ayr, Arbroath and Morton - from 2 up to 7.
Ignoring Hearts, if we concede the same as first time round against ICT, Dundee and Dunfermline, we would need to score 10 goals in the 3 games to get 5 points. 

3 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

Good to see the club making a profit though Flash eh ??

Yes, it is good. Although I suspect quite a lot of it will be down to the club having a substantially reduced wage bill, and having minimal other costs between about the 20th of March and 31st May. If the season had played out to a finish, the income from walk-ups for the 4 games probably wouldn’t have been that much but the full wage bill would have had to be paid. It is also possible we could have finished last, which would have reduced the prize money.
So, although the profit is welcome, you’d need to see how much of it was due to the pandemic.

Does anyone remember the season that we had John Burridge on loan for a few games. I think we lost two games 7-0. One against Stirling Albion and also against Alloa. I remember we shipped some amount of goals with him during his short spell towards the end of his career. Despite that I still liked him.

33 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

Does anyone remember the season that we had John Burridge on loan for a few games. I think we lost two games 7-0. One against Stirling Albion and also against Alloa. I remember we shipped some amount of goals with him during his short spell towards the end of his career. Despite that I still liked him.

He wasn't on loan. 6 games in 95/96 on a short term contract as injury cover (you used to be able to do such things). I probably saw them all but I honestly don't recall a thing about them now. I'd need to look up who we played in them. I do recall he was mad as a hatter and not very good but then he was about 45 by the time he rocked up at Palmerston.