The Queen of the South thread

Very impressed with Queens tonight they’ve recruited well in January, when they get there players back they will challenge for the play offs, and they know how to play there dodgy pitch big advantage. Have to laugh at Pressley we’ve trained all week on Astro ( but no on Queens Astro) never changed the record from last week Ours was yours wisnae they really struggled to get going tonight.

9 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Very impressed with Queens tonight they’ve recruited well in January, when they get there players back they will challenge for the play offs, and they know how to play there dodgy pitch big advantage. Have to laugh at Pressley we’ve trained all week on Astro ( but no on Queens Astro) never changed the record from last week Ours was yours wisnae they really struggled to get going tonight.

Elvis has long ago left the building.

10 hours ago, Lochwood said:

This is my only worry when we get the players back added to the long injury list wias Pybus he looks like he will be out a while.

The more you see of this league it becomes apparent that a low budget club like us are better with “battlers” over “ballers”. Technically McKee, McCabe and Fitzpatrick are more creative than last nights midfield but I have no doubt that they would have been overrun against Hearts and wouldn’t have had the stamina to keep doing the “dirty work” for 90 mins. It may have been a one off but I was amazed at how well Ayo, Nortey and McGrory kept our shape and limited Hearts to virtually nothing. Nortey and McGrory have been bit part players so far but if,and it is always an if,they perform like that they will be hard to dislodge. We need to bottle that performance and see where it takes us. A huge well done to AJ and SC as well. It would be hard to imagine more adversity for them to deal with in respect of injuries and absences ahead of this match and to come up with an excellent tactical plan in these circumstances was good leadership. The players also really played for them last night.Some supporters need to understand just how tough an assignment they had this season with only 3 signed players and cut them slack. It will be tough to stay up - probably 40:60 with the injuries we have but it would be a notable achievement if we do.

20 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

The more you see of this league it becomes apparent that a low budget club like us are better with “battlers” over “ballers”. Technically McKee, McCabe and Fitzpatrick are more creative than last nights midfield but I have no doubt that they would have been overrun against Hearts and wouldn’t have had the stamina to keep doing the “dirty work” for 90 mins. It may have been a one off but I was amazed at how well Ayo, Nortey and McGrory kept our shape and limited Hearts to virtually nothing. Nortey and McGrory have been bit part players so far but if,and it is always an if,they perform like that they will be hard to dislodge. We need to bottle that performance and see where it takes us. A huge well done to AJ and SC as well. It would be hard to imagine more adversity for them to deal with in respect of injuries and absences ahead of this match and to come up with an excellent tactical plan in these circumstances was good leadership. The players also really played for them last night.Some supporters need to understand just how tough an assignment they had this season with only 3 signed players and cut them slack. It will be tough to stay up - probably 40:60 with the injuries we have but it would be a notable achievement if we do.

Your post is spot on normally we are so weak in centre midfield but we looked much stronger last night .

My only worry is our long injury list we seem to add to it every week .

Your post is spot on normally we are so weak in centre midfield but we looked much stronger last night .
My only worry is our long injury list we seem to add to it every week .

I still think when fit McKee, McCabe and Pybus play every time. But the players last night showed the can play to a level, I’ve liked McGrory what I’ve seen of him and Nortey did fine last night albeit a bit wasteful in possession, I’d have no qualms with them stepping in needed or coming off bench.

Nortey performance striked me as if the opposition had someone we wanted to man mark he could do that reasonably well

50 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Special mention to Willie Gibson. There weren’t many who were convinced when we signed him (me included) but he’s been superb. 

He has. Others have been more important in spells, notably Connor Shields and perhaps Ayo, but for me Gibson has been our Player of the Season to date on a consistent basis. And yet there are still people moaning we're playing "a winger" at full back and we should have brought a right back in during January. We made no effort to do so because frankly we didn't need one.

Gibson was absolutely roasted by Kai Kennedy in the Inverness game but Kennedy's capable of doing that to anyone when he's in the mood. He's dealt with pace from other wingers fine and not remotely let us down. He's matured as a player and as a person. I've known Wullie a long time and, ok, he got into a wee spat with Andy Halliday last night but 10 years ago he'd have got himself red carded in an incident like that. Instead he had Halliday wound up easier than a cheap watch. Giving him a mentor role with younger players, and probably the work he himself does with kids coaching in his own business has been the making of him. He's probably fitter than he's ever been and whilst he's playing a very different role now, he's probably playing some of the best football of his career too. I'd have no worries about him extending his first team involvement a further year too. I wasn't a doubter in the summer, I thought it was an absolute no brainer to sign him, but I didn't think he'd be a regular starter / 1st name of the teamsheet either but he's become that and set a real example for the younger ones and maybe even some of the more senior ones.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

He has. Others have been more important in spells, notably Connor Shields and perhaps Ayo, but for me Gibson has been our Player of the Season to date on a consistent basis. And yet there are still people moaning we're playing "a winger" at full back and we should have brought a right back in during January. We made no effort to do so because frankly we didn't need one.
Gibson was absolutely roasted by Kai Kennedy in the Inverness game but Kennedy's capable of doing that to anyone when he's in the mood. He's dealt with pace from other wingers fine and not remotely let us down. He's matured as a player and as a person. I've known Wullie a long time and, ok, he got into a wee spat with Andy Halliday last night but 10 years ago he'd have got himself red carded in an incident like that. Instead he had Halliday wound up easier than a cheap watch. Giving him a mentor role with younger players, and probably the work he himself does with kids coaching in his own business has been the making of him. He's probably fitter than he's ever been and whilst he's playing a very different role now, he's probably playing some of the best football of his career too. I'd have no worries about him extending his first team involvement a further year too. I wasn't a doubter in the summer, I thought it was an absolute no brainer to sign him, but I didn't think he'd be a regular starter / 1st name of the teamsheet either but he's become that and set a real example for the younger ones and maybe even some of the more senior ones.

Found the calls for signing a full back in January mental. Gibson barely put a foot wrong as youve said

I still think when fit McKee, McCabe and Pybus play every time. But the players last night showed the can play to a level, I’ve liked McGrory what I’ve seen of him and Nortey did fine last night albeit a bit wasteful in possession, I’d have no qualms with them stepping in needed or coming off bench.

Nortey performance striked me as if the opposition had someone we wanted to man mark he could do that reasonably well
It's a tricky one. The players mentioned have contributed more throughout the season but there's absolutely no question last night was the best defensive performance we've put in all season, arguably in years. Given our defensive side of the game has been comfortably the worst thing about us for a few seasons, for me I wouldn't be changing the lineup against ICT regardless if the players you mention are available. The only change I would make would be swapping Shields* for East and putting Dapo out wide. If we replicate that defensive performance, or even get close to, for the rest of the season and hit on the attack with Dapo and Jones's pace then we should be safe.

*I know he won't be available.

I'd argue Gibson has been our most consistent player all season. Be surprised if he isn't in the running for PotY.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's a tricky one. The players mentioned have contributed more throughout the season but there's absolutely no question last night was the best defensive performance we've put in all season, arguably in years. Given our defensive side of the game has been comfortably the worst thing about us for a few seasons, for me I wouldn't be changing the lineup against ICT regardless if the players you mention are available. The only change I would make would be swapping Shields* for East and putting Dapo out wide. If we replicate that defensive performance, or even get close to, for the rest of the season and hit on the attack with Dapo and Jones's pace then we should be safe.

*I know he won't be available.

I'd argue Gibson has been our most consistent player all season. Be surprised if he isn't in the running for PotY.

That midfield was exactly what was required last night but for the majority of other games we'll need more creativity and a bit more quality on the ball. Its about finding a balance between defending and attacking. For me, we'd found the right balance with McKee and McCabe deeper and Pybus pushed forward.

Its good to know, though, that the three who came into the team last night look capable of coming into the side without weakening it. I thought Pybus started really well last night and I feared the worst when he went off, but credit to McCrory he came on and was very effective in that role.

14 minutes ago, Mr X said:

That midfield was exactly what was required last night but for the majority of other games we'll need more creativity and a bit more quality on the ball. Its about finding a balance between defending and attacking. For me, we'd found the right balance with McKee and McCabe deeper and Pybus pushed forward.

Its good to know, though, that the three who came into the team last night look capable of coming into the side without weakening it. I thought Pybus started really well last night and I feared the worst when he went off, but credit to McCrory he came on and was very effective in that role.

Also thought the back 4 looked better last night. Partly at least due to better protection from those in front but I thought Buchanan and Breen (penalty concession apart) looked solid in central defence. Also thought we defended set plays much better, possibly benefitting from having another central defender playing in midfield. 

ICT completely outplayed us in the previous game. so interesting to see how we set up on Wednesday night.

I don't disagree you need the balance and we never offered as much going forward but we still threatened as much if not more than Hearts. We conceded a helluva corners yet defended them pretty soundly. Given how poor we've been defensively I wouldn't want to rock the boat at a venue we generally do poorly at. I'd go with the exact same setup against Caley. It isn't pretty to watch but if it gets results that's soon forgotten.

19 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Also thought the back 4 looked better last night. Partly at least due to better protection from those in front but I thought Buchanan and Breen (penalty concession apart) looked solid in central defence. Also thought we defended set plays much better, possibly benefitting from having another central defender playing in midfield. 

ICT completely outplayed us in the previous game. so interesting to see how we set up on Wednesday night.

They did, although apart from the Alloa game, and a spell against Arbroath, we've looked pretty decent defensively recently. Hearts were a step up in quality but they didnt do a lot to test the defence. Difficult to tell if the improvement was because of Buchanan, the midfield or the approach Hearts took.

As everyone knows, we've always been good at defending balls into the box :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
38 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I don't disagree you need the balance and we never offered as much going forward but we still threatened as much if not more than Hearts. We conceded a helluva corners yet defended them pretty soundly. Given how poor we've been defensively I wouldn't want to rock the boat at a venue we generally do poorly at. I'd go with the exact same setup against Caley. It isn't pretty to watch but if it gets results that's soon forgotten.

I get the not wanting to change a "winning" team idea. However, if McKee or McCabe are available I'd put them back in the side for Nortey and/or McGrory, as much because both have also been out lately and put so much into the game last night.

After the way Nortey and McGrory played I would be extremely reluctant to drop either of them unless as you say there is an adverse fitness reaction. Talking about fitness McKee is very injury prone and McCabe is not a big contributor. I certainly wouldn’t be keen to field McKee and McCabe as a partnership in there as they are far too similar. Last night was probably the least number of half chances we have given up in any league fixture with the possible exception of Alloa at home. We have decent pace in the side and if we were to get Shields back at some point we would have the makings of a good counter attacking side.

24 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

After the way Nortey and McGrory played I would be extremely reluctant to drop either of them unless as you say there is an adverse fitness reaction. Talking about fitness McKee is very injury prone and McCabe is not a big contributor. I certainly wouldn’t be keen to field McKee and McCabe as a partnership in there as they are far too similar. Last night was probably the least number of half chances we have given up in any league fixture with the possible exception of Alloa at home. We have decent pace in the side and if we were to get Shields back at some point we would have the makings of a good counter attacking side.

At the start of the season I would have agreed, but the three of McKee, McCabe and Pybus played in all but one of the recent games in our run of form.

I keep wondering why East is always a starter.  Not that I think he's rubbish, just that I never seem to see him that much on the streams I've watched.  Although AJ must like what he brings to the team as he starts him most weeks, and I think SD said that he did a great job last night.  That's the benefit you get from going to the games in person because you can look around the team and see what hard work the guys are doing off the ball whereas the TV cameras tend to mostly follow the ball.

East did have a chance late on last night, ball sat up nice for a volley but he put it straight down the centre where Gordon was standing - if he'd gone more towards the posts we might have won that.  Easy for me to say though.

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I keep wondering why East is always a starter.  Not that I think he's rubbish, just that I never seem to see him that much on the streams I've watched.  Although AJ must like what he brings to the team as he starts him most weeks, and I think SD said that he did a great job last night.  That's the benefit you get from going to the games in person because you can look around the team and see what hard work the guys are doing off the ball whereas the TV cameras tend to mostly follow the ball.

East did have a chance late on last night, ball sat up nice for a volley but he put it straight down the centre where Gordon was standing - if he'd gone more towards the posts we might have won that.  Easy for me to say though.

I thought East did well last night. 

As long as any players who come back in show the same level of work rate and organisation as last night they can stay in the team. If they don’t, and it means we have fewer ‘ball players’, then that’s too bad, they should be dropped. They set the standard previously against Raith but in subsequent games we were still relatively easy to score against and the results were largely down to Shields.
I totally get that certain games might need a slightly different approach but this league is mainly about battling. You need to do it against the better teams, like last night and against our fellow relegation candidates.
We were quite fortunate to beat Ayr after conceding 2 goals. We dropped 2 points against Arbroath after conceding 2 goals. We only beat Morton because they missed the mother of all sitters to score a second. And we lost 3 points to Alloa by conceding 2 goals. Makes life a whole lot easier if you aren’t so easy to score against.