The Queen of the South thread

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
14 hours ago, Fae_the_ said:
Considering we usually lose possession when we take short throw-ins it's been good to see us at least try something different,  although the success rate of anything different happening seems relatively low. Mixing it up a bit is no bad thing imo. 

It'd be mixing it up if we went short tbh. Since McCabe has been back in the squad our throw-ins have consisted of him going long and 9 times out of 10 the first man heading clear. A complete waste of possession. Oh what I'd give for us to get a CM who asks for the ball and is comfortable in possession next season.

We have one in McKie! The hope is he can stay fit. 

Thanks to Coivd-19, being an exile, I've been able to watch plenty of games this season.  Considering the shambles of the previous season, the scramble to pull a squad together, the outlook of certain relegation when Santa popped by, I think the Club have done not too bad.  It's such a shame that we faltered as the season drew to a finale, but all in all I'd have swapped my Christmas presents for this outcome.

With the stability of having AJ and Clark and our tier 2 status secured, hopefully it'll allow us to build a squad ahead of preseason that will be competitive from season opening.

On 25/09/2020 at 14:59, die hard doonhamer said:

I don't know how to feel about this squad at the moment, if I'm honest. Ignoring the clear need for more bodies in defence, we've gone down the route of a lot of promising young players (11 of the 17 signed players are 23 or under, and only 2 are older than 30). It's high risk, but it feels like we have more attacking options in this squad than we've had in a long long time. They also all seem to have a reasonable pedigree, either as outstanding performers at a lower level, or as having been signed by clubs at levels higher than us. They might all be awful, but if it pays off we could have a very exciting team. I'm very much ok with this approach.

This was my view on the squad at the start of the season. As it turned out, we were both awful and very exciting at different points of the season, and ultimately I'm ok with the outcome. This season was all about survival, and we've achieved that. Unfortunately, though, that isn't a sustainable outlook to have in the medium or long term. I know it's easier said than done, but I'd like to see us try to build a squad of young players with contracts that have options for further years built in to them, so that we don't forever end up in a cycle of starting completely from scratch every year.

Another interesting pre-season ahead, and we'll probably be in a similar place to where we were at the start of this one come July.

We have one in McKie! The hope is he can stay fit. 
That's a stretch. He's shown in glimpses that he's capable but too often he's been posted missing in the middle of the midfield. I certainly don't think a fully fit McKee is the answer to our problem in there.

Would be interested to hear some thoughts from Queens fans on how James Maxwell's season has gone.

How has he played? Strengths and weaknesses? Do you think he has a shot at deputising for Barisic next year? If not, what do you reckon his level will be?

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Would be interested to hear some thoughts from Queens fans on how James Maxwell's season has gone.

How has he played? Strengths and weaknesses? Do you think he has a shot at deputising for Barisic next year? If not, what do you reckon his level will be?

He was excellent and I’d say he was our young player of the year. Still a bit raw defensively but understandable in his first proper season in professional football. Going forward he was excellent and has an eye for goal. Happily take him back next season on loan if possible and I think it would benefit him more playing another season at this level. 

4 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

He was excellent and I’d say he was our young player of the year. Still a bit raw defensively but understandable in his first proper season in professional football. Going forward he was excellent and has an eye for goal. Happily take him back next season on loan if possible and I think it would benefit him more playing another season at this level. 

Thanks. Every time I've seen him for the youth team, I've always thought he was a decent player. He was compared to Nathan Patterson regularly throughout his youth career, but he just didn't develop physically the way Patterson did. I take it he's a bit more physically imposing now (or at least, not so small and weak that strikers can pick on him)?

PS: would give an extra greenie for having the captain as a profile pic if I could

13 minutes ago, G51 said:

Thanks. Every time I've seen him for the youth team, I've always thought he was a decent player. He was compared to Nathan Patterson regularly throughout his youth career, but he just didn't develop physically the way Patterson did. I take it he's a bit more physically imposing now (or at least, not so small and weak that strikers can pick on him)?

PS: would give an extra greenie for having the captain as a profile pic if I could

Unfortunately Dom Thomas gave him a bit of a hard time when we played Dunfermline a few games back there and it cost us a couple of goals.  There’s a good bit to be worked on defensively but going forward he has no fear with the ball at his feet. He is still young tho and mistakes are expected for a lad his age playing his first professional season. 

looking forward to pubs getting back open and The Captain to get back into the swing of things. 

8 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Unfortunately Dom Thomas gave him a bit of a hard time when we played Dunfermline a few games back there and it cost us a couple of goals.  There’s a good bit to be worked on defensively but going forward he has no fear with the ball at his feet. He is still young tho and mistakes are expected for a lad his age playing his first professional season. 

looking forward to pubs getting back open and The Captain to get back into the swing of things. 

Yeah I watched the highlights of the Dunfermline game. Thomas bodied him. Sat him down too easily for one of the goals and was able to draw him out and spin him by getting the ball over the top.

I think what I like about him is that his flaws are correctable. The stuff he's good (driving forward, decision making when attacking etc) at is the stuff that's difficult to teach. But you can easily stick him in a gym and add some muscle to his body, and you can easily teach him the basics of blocking crosses and defensive positioning.

On another note, interested to see Ciaran Dickson in and out of the team. Was one of the most promising prospects in the Rangers youth academy but was rumoured to have a serious issue with application and professionalism. Will likely leave Rangers this summer.

Edited by G51

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

On another note, interested to see Ciaran Dickson in and out of the team. Was one of the most promising prospects in the Rangers youth academy but was rumoured to have a serious issue with application and professionalism. Will likely leave Rangers this summer.

Rumour here that Dickson has already been sent back to Rangers prior to our game at the weekend for problems in training. Don’t know how true this is but he wasn’t in our squad at the weekend. 

1 minute ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Rumour here that Dickson has already been sent back to Rangers prior to our game at the weekend for problems in training. Don’t know how true this is but he wasn’t in our squad at the weekend. 

Yeah I could believe that. Some of the stories I've heard about him aren't great.

He's in serious danger of joining the long list of talented Scottish players who completely fucked it.

10 hours ago, G51 said:

Yeah I could believe that. Some of the stories I've heard about him aren't great.

He's in serious danger of joining the long list of talented Scottish players who completely fucked it.

Breen and Medube from you guys  on loan also. I believe their contracts are also coming to an end. Would have them both back as I think there is some potential there. Breen steadied our defence and if he was beside a better CB think it could work. As for Medube he needs to pass the ball more. He started no too bad for us and then went off the boil, don’t know if that Covid carry on maybe affected him but I think he could be a half decent player if he knuckled down. 

14 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

This Friday is Dobbie’s last game then. Bowing out in an empty stadium really is heartbreaking. 

Is that confirmed then?  If true it's a pity that his time at Queens has petered out over the past couple of seasons.  Taking longer to get over injuries combined with Johnston's unsuitable tactics for his style of play has severely curtailed his game time/effectiveness.   As you say,  heartbreaking that fans won't be there to give him the send off he deserves. I've said before I'd rather see him go somewhere else if his time here was mainly going to be as a bit part player and bench warmer.  If he is leaving it would be nice if the Club could arrange some sort of farewell game or testimonial when crowds are allowed back. 

Edit: Just checked the OS to see it's been confirmed.  

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

6 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

This Friday is Dobbie’s last game then. Bowing out in an empty stadium really is heartbreaking. 

LEGEND of a man 💙

We can't just let him walk away from Palmerston without a send off .

Very difficult to do anything with covid but to let a Legend of a man just walk away just seems wrong to me .

Queens will never get another player like him I feel lucky that I have seen play .

Absolutely gutted he won't get the send off he deserves. No mention of actually retiring which makes me think the rumours of him joining Thistle could be true.

I fully expect him to still score next season, especially if it's for McCall who'll have the sense to play a system that suits him and not hinder him like the AJ system.

11 hours ago, G51 said:

He’ll probably be another Burt and leave yous then end up at the team he supports. No great loss if that’s his attitude