The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

The bit about the fan was mentioned on Off The Ball and he emailed in to say he had been to three QOS games in his life.

If you didn't like the talking heads in that one don't watch the ICT V Falkirk one as it has Janey Godley who even more unfunny than usual as she knows nothing about football and James Allan of Glasvegas who looks like an absolute bawbag ( he is wearing shades in the darkened screening room)

James Allan played for Gretna. 

This fact alone confirms his status as an absolute bawbag of the highest order.

Edited by Slipmat

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

At least 4 of our cup final team played for Gretna. Not sure I want to put any of them into a bawbag category. 

Each to their own though.

Fair enough point.  But the four in question did redeem themselves when they came to Queens 😎

59 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Fair enough point.  But the four in question did redeem themselves when they came to Queens 😎

To be honest, we have a lot thank Gretna for. 

9 hours ago, qos_75 said:

To be honest, we have a lot thank Gretna for. 

We can be thankful that Gretna operated an unsustainable financial model and we were lucky* to inherit some of their cast-off players, yes.  There's no denying that Tosh, MacFarlane or McQuilken would have signed for us had they not had some existing link to the locality.  Andy Aitken was a slightly different case as he had been unceremoniously snatched away from us by Gretna but was well thought of enough to be welcomed back to Palmerston, and could be deemed to be equally local to both Gretna and Queens.

(* it could be argued that we were in a way unlucky, as meeting the wage demands of those players undoubtedly set us down the road to the bucket collections at Palmerston within 3 years when we were staring down the barrel of going out of business).

Aside from those signings though, I can't off the top of my head think of a single other reason to be thankful.  Gretna made serious attempts to poach our support, whether by infiltrating Dumfries schools with their propaganda, or taking over Greystone Rovers - the youth club with which Queens had a strong relationship and sourced players from for the previous 50 odd years - in all but name.

I worked regularly in the Gretna area in the days when they played in English non-league in front of double figure crowds, so I have a great deal of sympathy for the community there who had there club stolen from them, especially those that bought into the "living the dream" nonsense.  But there's no getting away from the fact that had the Mileson led Gretna not melted away like Icarus's wings we may not have had a Queen of the South FC to watch today, certainly not at our current level.

There was some chat in the match thread yesterday about our set pieces. According to transfer market website, Rhys McCabe has four assists this year and a 'goal participation' of 10%. That seems incredibly low for a guy who takes all our set pieces and takes long throws.
The excitement for McCabe's long throw boils my piss every time he takes one. Not just our own commentary team (who should know better that they're useless) but other ones as well [emoji38] Have any of his assists come via this throw? I can't recall us having any meaningful chances from one other than yesterday when Buchanan shot over the bar and Goss against Ayr in the first game at the death. But for the latter I'm not sure if it was even McCabe or a throw that it came from.

The excitement for McCabe's long throw boils my piss every time he takes one. Not just our own commentary team (who should know better that they're useless) but other ones as well [emoji38] Have any of his assists come via this throw? I can't recall us having any meaningful chances from one other than yesterday when Buchanan shot over the bar and Goss against Ayr in the first game at the death. But for the latter I'm not sure if it was even McCabe or a throw that it came from.

The long throws are absolutely shite

First assist was a free kick for Obilye in 6-1 horsing to Hearts. Second was for same player in 2-1 win over Morton. BBC live updates refers to a cross following a corner. Third was in 4-2 win against arbroath. A free kick from McCabe found, well you can probably guess by now, who headed in to make the game 2-1 to Arbroath. Fourth was in 1-1 home game against ICT when he gave ball to Fitz before his run.

No throw in assists and I can't recall any causing a stramash (do recall a few when Buchanan missed chances)

Two free kicks into box for assists. He did come fairly close with a free-kick against Hibs the other week.

No corner assists - above suggests he may have hit a corner, it came back to him and he flung it back into the mix. But that's it.

So his throws are completely non effective as I thought! Can't help but think if he has assisted with his feet more often he'd be better placed to receive a throw and swing it in rather than throw the thing.

So his throws are completely non effective as I thought! Can't help but think if he has assisted with his feet more often he'd be better placed to receive a throw and swing it in rather than throw the thing.
Yeah really don't remember his throw-ins doing much. I do recall a few that yielded chances for Buchanan but he's even worse in the opposition box than he is in ours.

I'd agree with you. A throw-in is taken to him and a ball whipped in might do something. Might...

I think McCabe flatters to deceive. Not our worst midfielder but, obviously, no world-beater either. Can't see us fighting many clubs to secure his signature to stay on.

First assist was a free kick for Obilye in 6-1 horsing to Hearts. Second was for same player in 2-1 win over Morton. BBC live updates refers to a cross following a corner. Third was in 4-2 win against arbroath. A free kick from McCabe found, well you can probably guess by now, who headed in to make the game 2-1 to Arbroath. Fourth was in 1-1 home game against ICT when he gave ball to Fitz before his run.

No throw in assists and I can't recall any causing a stramash (do recall a few when Buchanan missed chances)

Two free kicks into box for assists. He did come fairly close with a free-kick against Hibs the other week.

No corner assists - above suggests he may have hit a corner, it came back to him and he flung it back into the mix. But that's it.
Having just watched goals of season contenders on Queens social, Mebube gave Fitz ball against ICT, not McCabe. Easy mistake to make Transfer Market [emoji23]

Considering we usually lose possession when we take short throw-ins it's been good to see us at least try something different,  although the success rate of anything different happening seems relatively low. Mixing it up a bit is no bad thing imo. 

Considering we usually lose possession when we take short throw-ins it's been good to see us at least try something different,  although the success rate of anything different happening seems relatively low. Mixing it up a bit is no bad thing imo. 
It'd be mixing it up if we went short tbh. Since McCabe has been back in the squad our throw-ins have consisted of him going long and 9 times out of 10 the first man heading clear. A complete waste of possession. Oh what I'd give for us to get a CM who asks for the ball and is comfortable in possession next season.

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
24 minutes ago, Fae_the_ said:

It'd be mixing it up if we went short tbh. Since McCabe has been back in the squad our throw-ins have consisted of him going long and 9 times out of 10 the first man heading clear. A complete waste of possession. Oh what I'd give for us to get a CM who asks for the ball and is comfortable in possession next season.

Yes,  I wasn't very clear there,  I was meaning before we changed to every throw going long,  almost every throw was played too close and possession was usually lost. I think Dykes was the last long thrower and he didn't try all that often.  Long throws and short throw-ins both have a place, if one's not working try the other, mix it up a bit is all I'm saying. 

On 24/04/2021 at 17:43, 19QOS19 said:

A fizzled out season in the end but given I thought we were relegation cannon fodder earlier in the season (along with around 95% of supporters in the division) a 6th/7th place finish is an extremely good achievement and the players and management deserve all the credit they'll receive. I'd have been expecting a new deal for AJ after today as result. I still think we'll regret giving him 2 years but won't focus on that the now.

It's been a real mixed bag of a season. At times we've played some really good football, capable of beating anyone. On the flip-side some of it has been absolute turgid shite. Today's game not a rarity unfortunately.

Off the pitch has been just as eventful. The BoD deserve a lot of credit for giving AJ a budget good enough to get us mid-table but again on the flip-side the George Galloway debacle was a dark affair for the club and the contempt they showed for the support really sticks in the craw. Not once but twice making a complete arse of the apology really leaves a bitter taste.

The media team deserve a huge amount of credit as well. Well done to all involved. The best price in the division and one of, if not the best production on offer. Unbiased and informative commentary and good use of replays on the feed. A couple of hiccups but overall as good as you could hope for.

I expect it'll be another rebuild job for AJ next season but hopefully he can work the loan market as well next season and get a good mix of youth and experience. More importantly I hope we'll be able to view next season's squad in the flesh from the very first kick-off!

Yes, a huge sense of relief today.

For all that relegation remained unlikely entering the weekend, it really was possible and I've been an unashamed knicker wetter/bed shitter for a good couple of weeks now.

I'm just genuinely delighted that when we finally get to go to games, we'll still be in the second tier.

For the third successive year, we've ridden our luck to stay here.  Our trick this time was to have a sufficiently truncated season for our purple patch in the middle to see us through.  I don't think we can keep on being at this end of the table late on and getting away with it indefinitely though.

I've not got a clue what next season will look like for us, but when it rolls round, it'll be incredibly exciting to get back in the ground.

Credit where it's due for this season, but its opposite is also due at points.

1 hour ago, sidofthesouth said:

Looking like Hamilton, Partick & maybe Cove in the division next year to replace Hearts, the dreaded Alloa and probably Morton. Its good to play some different teams, but I think the division will be even tougher next year.

Or Ross County come down, ICT and Dundee stay in the Championship, Cove replace Morton and we end up travelling all over the country every week.

Still, if that does happen at least we'll still have our local derby with Ayr.

Jeezo ....... two trips each to Dingwall, to Inverness and to Aberdeen ...... fair treks those even from South Lanarkshire,  never mind Dumfries ...... I'd prefer the Accies at only 7 miles. 🙂

This might well already have been covered, but there can’t be many other examples in football of a team going into the second last game of the season with promotion and relegation both still a mathematical possibility - especially one which didn’t involve any ridiculous scorelines along the way.

Edited by Adamski