The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, Swarley said:

I see Cove have punted Jim McIntyre (apologies if previously discussed). Should we be afraid or interested? His win % from his tenure with QoS was 46.3% (according to Wikipedia) which isn't awful, but I can't recall if the standard of play was deemed entertaining?

A 46% win percentage is very good rather than 'not awful', especially when you consider it was achieved at Championship level. The football was good in my opinion.

You'll get polarised opinions. @Monkey Tennis among others detested him, felt he tinkered unnecessarily with Allan Johnston's double winning team, and achieved what he did in spite of himself rather than through genuinely taking the club forward.

Others, including me, would say he was one of the most driven and professional managers we ever had and was largely eventually proven correct on the tinkering he did. He had a great eye for a player. He turned Iain Russell into a winger rather than centre forward, he stopped Ian McShane from leaving the club and turned him into the linchpin of our midfield. He brought in Mark Kerr. He brought in Andy Dowie who though he had a poor 1st 3 or 4 months went on to be probably our best centre back in the last decade (or at least the best one who wasnt on loan from St Johnstone). And after a false start with Calum Antell he also brought in Zander Clark. James Fowler probably got more out of them in the 2nd season but it was largely the team McIntyre rebuilt.

That said, it can be argued that it took a while to get up to speed and the season he had in charge was one where we should have been 4th and were, and only got clear of a part time Dumbarton side to clinch 4th in the last few games. We never seriously threatened the top 3 of Dundee, Hamilton and Falkirk all season and lost to Falkirk in the playoffs despite leading 3-1 with 45 mins left of the 2nd leg.

And despite doing well early on with Ross County and winning them the League Cup, he eventually lost favour there and his stint at Dundee was disastrous (wrong club, fans never wanted him). He hasnt set the heather on fire at Cove either though despite losing 6-1 at the weekend, it hasnt been awful either (think they've only lost 2 in 10) and his sacking does on the face of it look a lot like making way for Hartley's return than any genuinely awful performance.

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm just waiting on tenterhooks for the knock at the door from the police. Should I go on the run do you think? I didnt get any fake plastic moustache in this year's Xmas crackers 🥸

No one said the police were coming to your door? Stop being so childish. I was getting at the fact that you’ve already been warned for running back to P&B with gossip for little greenies so obviously and understandably you’ll now be left in the dark on a lot of important matters that us big boys have to deal with. 

Anyway, manager announced today boys, then 2 players announced today or tomorrow with 1 being a loan. 

Think McIntyres "sacking" at Cove may have come a bit too late for him to be in the running here, although maybe it wasn't a secret within football  that he was going. We are probably a bit far down the line now (hopefully) in appointing  a Manager to include new prospects. 

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

... We never seriously threatened the top 3 of Dundee, Hamilton and Falkirk all season and lost to Falkirk in the playoffs despite leading 3-1 with 45 mins left of the 2nd leg...

Aye we blew that big time.  Was a real shame as wee Bob Harris had scored a cracker (free kick I think it was) to put us 3-1 up in the tie.  We had a decent support up there that day.

15 minutes ago, Dudleyghu said:

No one said the police were coming to your door? Stop being so childish. I was getting at the fact that you’ve already been warned for running back to P&B with gossip for little greenies so obviously and understandably you’ll now be left in the dark on a lot of important matters that us big boys have to deal with. 

Anyway, manager announced today boys, then 2 players announced today or tomorrow with 1 being a loan. 

So who turned the job down after a contract was agreed?

Who is the new manager to be announced later today? 

10 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye we blew that big time.  Was a real shame as wee Bob Harris had scored a cracker (free kick I think it was) to put us 3-1 up in the tie.  We had a decent support up there that day.

The free kick Harris scored at Falkirk was in a Scottish Cup tie. Pretty sure Bob McHugh scored the goal that put us 3-1 up on aggregate in the play off tie. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

The free kick Harris scored at Falkirk was in a Scottish Cup tie. Bob McHugh scored the goal that put us 3-1 up on aggregate in the play off tie. 

Me and my memory ... again!  Note to self, must check the records before posting shite!  Cheers.

Was at both games too, remember going mental when wee Bob's FK went in - great wee player.

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

The free kick Harris scored at Falkirk was in a Scottish Cup tie. Bob McHugh scored the goal that put us 3-1 up on aggregate in the play off tie. 

Yeah Bob McHugh scored all of our goals in that tie. More or less all he ever did for us. One league goal v Dumbarton and three playoff goals v Falkirk in a week.

57 minutes ago, Dudleyghu said:

I was getting at the fact that you’ve already been warned for running back to P&B with gossip...

Good to see you're not making those same mistakes though, eh?...

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

A 46% win percentage is very good rather than 'not awful', especially when you consider it was achieved at Championship level. The football was good in my opinion.

You'll get polarised opinions. @Monkey Tennis among others detested him, felt he tinkered unnecessarily with Allan Johnston's double winning team, and achieved what he did in spite of himself rather than through genuinely taking the club forward.

Others, including me, would say he was one of the most driven and professional managers we ever had and was largely eventually proven correct on the tinkering he did. He had a great eye for a player. He turned Iain Russell into a winger rather than centre forward, he stopped Ian McShane from leaving the club and turned him into the linchpin of our midfield. He brought in Mark Kerr. He brought in Andy Dowie who though he had a poor 1st 3 or 4 months went on to be probably our best centre back in the last decade (or at least the best one who wasnt on loan from St Johnstone). And after a false start with Calum Antell he also brought in Zander Clark. James Fowler probably got more out of them in the 2nd season but it was largely the team McIntyre rebuilt.

That said, it can be argued that it took a while to get up to speed and the season he had in charge was one where we should have been 4th and were, and only got clear of a part time Dumbarton side to clinch 4th in the last few games. We never seriously threatened the top 3 of Dundee, Hamilton and Falkirk all season and lost to Falkirk in the playoffs despite leading 3-1 with 45 mins left of the 2nd leg.

And despite doing well early on with Ross County and winning them the League Cup, he eventually lost favour there and his stint at Dundee was disastrous (wrong club, fans never wanted him). He hasnt set the heather on fire at Cove either though despite losing 6-1 at the weekend, it hasnt been awful either (think they've only lost 2 in 10) and his sacking does on the face of it look a lot like making way for Hartley's return than any genuinely awful performance.

That's a pretty fair assessment of our respective stances.

I think that season probably represented our best chance, and a poor early spell, characterised by unnecessary tinkering, kept us clear of contention.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

As others have said, your timeline's a bit wonky.

If my memory serves - a fairly big if these days -  we lined up against our rumoured new manager in the 'Bob Harris Cup tie'.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As others have said, your timeline's a bit wonky.

And as I have acknowledged ... my timeline's a bit wonky ... and not for the first time!

Edited by Otis Blue

13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Just please ... naw.

There does seem a criteria for some on here that they have to have previously managed us: Fowler, MacIntryre and Naysmith within the last week. Not that Holt meets that.

Edited by Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army

29 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Gary Holt? 

No, the guy mentioned in the New Manager thread yesterday.

SD has wisely deleted his confused response, featuring bizarre references to the likes of Chisholm.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, the guy mentioned in the New Manager thread yesterday.

SD has wisely deleted his confused response, featuring bizarre references to the likes of Chisholm.

I completely misunderstood your point. I thought you were saying at the time we were playing against someone expected to be our new manager then. It was only later I realised you meant McCann. It really wasn't clear.