The Queen of the South thread

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That wasnt your point though. Its what you've retrospectively decided to make your point after your 'outside the box' mantra was debunked as absolute nonsense. 

So there was no money pumped in under the Connolly promotion push? 

45 minutes ago, Kunter said:

What nearly sent us under was the Chisholm / Rae years buying expensive has been players we didn't even need. 

So basically pushing the boat out to buy better players nearly put us under, exactly what your advocating the current Board does for Bartley now. Who in your opinion were these expensive has - beens we didn't need? 

To me sign a good quality 18/19 and then cover for injuries with reserves if required. Not poor quality that has not cut it for a number of seasons even with ourselves or other teams and then with our rumours of a run of mill journeymen to try and get us out of this division. Falkirk are miles ahead of us in quality of player they are signing. Hamilton are signing experience in Martin and Kilday we are signing kids compared to them. I really hope MB proves me wrong again but I have the fear with standard of player he is signing. 

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

So basically pushing the boat out to buy better players nearly put us under, exactly what your advocating the current Board does for Bartley now. Who in your opinion were these expensive has - beens we didn't need? 

It wasn't splashing the cash under Connolly that nearly sent us under, it was pushing for promotion to the spl in the championship under Rae / Chisholm that did.

Don't forget we were only propped up by the BOD and gate money back then - no income from the arena. 

2 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

To me sign a good quality 18/19 and then cover for injuries with reserves if required. Not poor quality that has not cut it for a number of seasons even with ourselves or other teams and then with our rumours of a run of mill journeymen to try and get us out of this division. Falkirk are miles ahead of us in quality of player they are signing. Hamilton are signing experience in Martin and Kilday we are signing kids compared to them. I really hope MB proves me wrong again but I have the fear with standard of player he is signing. 

Exactly this. 

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

What nearly sent us under was the Chisholm / Rae years buying expensive has been players we didn't even need. 

I wouldn't say that the players signed by Chisholm were either over-expensive or unneeded.  Within a year of reaching the cup final he had to replace MacDonald, O'Connor, Dobbie & Aitken amongst others.  Unfortunately his eye for a player was pretty atrocious, as he brought in the likes of Bryn Halliwell, Stewart Kean, Marc McAusland and Tom Parratt as replacements, together with disastrous loan signings such as Craig Sives and David Bingham.  Arbuckle admittedly showed promise before a horrific injury as good as ended his career a couple of months after he signed.

What nearly sent us under was the ridiculous notion that the home crowds of 3000 that we attracted in the aftermath of the cup run and Europe was going to be the new norm in seasons to come and Rae spunked money around based on that flawed thinking, and a failure to fully understand the costs of going full-time.

Edited by Slipmat

32 minutes ago, Kunter said:

It wasn't splashing the cash under Connolly that nearly sent us under, it was pushing for promotion to the spl in the championship under Rae / Chisholm that did.

Don't forget we were only propped up by the BOD and gate money back then - no income from the arena. 

Rae pushing the boat out is something you seem to be advocating this BoD does even though you admit it almost sent us under in the past. 

How much money do you think the arena generates? 

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Rae pushing the boat out is something you seem to be advocating this BoD does even though you admit it almost sent us under in the past. 

How much money do you think the arena generates? 

Ok ok. No one is saying that we would splash cash that would jeopardise the future of the club.

Some thoughts. 

I have real faith in MB and his ability to coach players to be better. He definately signed well last season as opposed to the terrible signings WG made. Some of his signings on paper seem well founded ( goalie and full backs) the issue is around mixed reports for Doherty, McClelland and McGuffie (plus for me the empty but cheap jersey of Irving). His re-signings have been spot on. 

Undoubtedly, on the face of it, some of our direct competitors for promotion have signed quality players…Falkirk with McIvor and Agedyman, Covid with Burrell etc. 

in my humble opinion we need at least 2 quality forwards ( lower league like Paton was, English hidden gems like Connor Shields was at Aldershot) and a commanding and experienced centre half. Ok I know it’s not easy but it’s important. 

Given our current financial position ( healthy balance sheet, still money in the bank) and the Boards avowed intent ( in supporting MBs ambitions on appointing him) it isn’t unreasonable to expect some funds to be made available otherwise we are stuck for the next 5-10 years in the third tier of Scottish football as opposed to 20 out of the last 22 years in the second tier. This would be a medium to long term disaster and likely a precursor to PT mediocrity. 

Its only mid June and we haven’t had a proper game yet so let’s give Marv the benefit of the doubt ( smart guy, good coach, good judgement to date) but I do think he needs support from the club to bring in quality signings for these 3 slots. An ex Finance Director of mine said…you never cost cut your way to success! 

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Ok ok. No one is saying that we would splash cash that would jeopardise the future of the club.

Some thoughts. 

I have real faith in MB and his ability to coach players to be better. He definately signed well last season as opposed to the terrible signings WG made. Some of his signings on paper seem well founded ( goalie and full backs) the issue is around mixed reports for Doherty, McClelland and McGuffie (plus for me the empty but cheap jersey of Irving). His re-signings have been spot on. 

Undoubtedly, on the face of it, some of our direct competitors for promotion have signed quality players…Falkirk with McIvor and Agedyman, Covid with Burrell etc. 

in my humble opinion we need at least 2 quality forwards ( lower league like Paton was, English hidden gems like Connor Shields was at Aldershot) and a commanding and experienced centre half. Ok I know it’s not easy but it’s important. 

Given our current financial position ( healthy balance sheet, still money in the bank) and the Boards avowed intent ( in supporting MBs ambitions on appointing him) it isn’t unreasonable to expect some funds to be made available otherwise we are stuck for the next 5-10 years in the third tier of Scottish football as opposed to 20 out of the last 22 years in the second tier. This would be a medium to long term disaster and likely a precursor to PT mediocrity. 

Its only mid June and we haven’t had a proper game yet so let’s give Marv the benefit of the doubt ( smart guy, good coach, good judgement to date) but I do think he needs support from the club to bring in quality signings for these 3 slots. An ex Finance Director of mine said…you never cost cut your way to success! 

Your post is spot on our next 3 signing must be real quality .

It is really difficult to get what we need  with our budget .

You mention Falkirk we will never compete with them financially they have a top end Championship budget probably around double ours .

Hamilton and even Cove will pay a lot more than us so already it is difficult with other full time teams in our League .

We will I you say have to trust Marvin for now hopefully he has a few coming up from down South maybe find another Ayo and a forward like Ayr did with Dipo .

On 03/06/2023 at 14:50, Skyline Drifter said:

Well the QPR fans dont agree with you. They are desperate for him to stay. Pretty sure they'll make a profit on him if he goes this summer.

On 03/06/2023 at 16:28, FrankReynolds said:

Here’s his biggest fanboy. 

Was it 2 million they paid? I highly doubt any club would be silly enough to pay over 2 million for a striker who scored 8 goals in 40 appearances. Only 2 assists in there too before you tell us how good that part of his game is, again. 

On 03/06/2023 at 17:02, FrankReynolds said:

Last year or his contract. Goal scoring isn’t one of his attributes, only 2 assists in 40 appearances too. Wouldn’t hold your breath on him going for more than what QPR paid for him and getting much from the sell on clause,  his value has dropped.

🤔

O RLY? 

5 hours ago, Kunter said:

It was the current BoD that got us through the financial mismanagement by Rae, the very BoD you continually slate. We were also helped by people writing off loan repayments from the Club plus other income received. 

And you still haven't named players signed by Chisholm that weren't worth the money. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

3 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Some thoughts. 

Agree. 

I think he's got the makings of a fantastic manager but if the some what medioacre signings continue and we end up with yet another underwhelming season then he ends up being the fall guy rather than the fact he's only working with the funds he has available. 

As you say, the signings he made during last season actually looked pretty good. 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

It was the current BoD that got us through the financial mismanagement by Rae, the very BoD you continually slate. We were also helped by people writing off loans to the Club. 

Yeah writing off the loans by the previous chairmen was the main one and the purchase of the land which he subsequently made profit on. 

We're here for the football and it's been dire the last 5 seasons. 

Relegation play off followed by almost certain relegation but saved by the pandemic then actual relegation.  This last season high expectations followed by the sacked manager, failure to make a top 4 and now (so far) signing the same kind of calibre that's got us into this mess the last 5 seasons and yet we're apparently meant to be grateful and shouldn't complain. 

Seems to me we're going on about what John Connolly did 20 odd years ago and conveniently forgetting what Alan Johnston did the last time we earned promotion.  He didn't go out signing loads of journeymen. I remember in my season preview saying Nicky Clark was a midfielder and he turned out to be a not too bad striker!

I personally think there are far too many players allowed on the bench now and everyone thinks they need to be of a certain quality.  Personally, I'd like to see a "first team squad" of around 15 and give more local youngsters the chance to at least sit on the bench.

Brilliant from our Lydon  typical goal from him using his pace and power then his assist for Dobbie sorry McLean was first class .

Away from a brilliant Scotland win are we back in training tomorrow .

Really hope we have some quality   trialists who turn out  to be brilliant here's hoping .

Strange but last season at this time I thought our squad was good enough to challenge at the top look how that worked out but this season right now I don't think we will do anything with what we have signed so far I hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Brilliant from our Lydon  typical goal from him using his pace and power then his assist for Dobbie sorry McLean was first class .

Agreed. It continues to baffle me that some people don't rate his time at Queens. A total grafter, even when he was used as a kind of right wing target man for Robinson's weird kick outs.

25 minutes ago, louisxiv said:

Agreed. It continues to baffle me that some people don't rate his time at Queens. A total grafter, even when he was used as a kind of right wing target man for Robinson's weird kick outs.

^^^ This.

Every time I saw big Dykes playing for Queens he never did less than work his socks off, even when it wasn't going well for him or the team - perfectly reflected in his goal against Norway.

The awareness and touch of that layoff for the second last night was just filthy ... 👌

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

^^^ This.

Every time I saw big Dykes playing for Queens he never did less than work his socks off, even when it wasn't going well for him or the team - perfectly reflected in his goal against Norway.

The awareness and touch of that layoff for the second last night was just filthy ... 👌

First time I saw Dykes against Alloa at Palmerston he caught my eye with his pace & power and caused us no end of bother so great to see him fulfill his potential. 

On 17/06/2023 at 11:37, Greenacres said:

Our next 2 signing are crucial a decent striker and centre half .

It is a gamble bringing unknown players  from down South but Ayo was a good signing plus look at Ayr they got Dipo from nowhere .

It is going to be very  difficult to replace Paton right now we have no goals in the team .

O,Hara  ex Dunfermline and Brownlie are the type we should be going for .

I’m confused. Daily Record rumour that Paul McKay who is a free agent after being released by Queens might be signing for them. Surely a mistake as contracted til May 2024. Do they know something we don’t or are they inept, as usual?