The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash

Do any of our players have a song/chant about them? I can't think of any. You'd think in a season as good as this, with a potential club record goal scorer, Clark, for example, would be a fans' favourite with his name being sung every week like Dobbie or Weatherson.

Not an important point and maybe I've just not picked it up, but a bit odd nevertheless.

Guest Flash

Nicky Clark has a chant to the tune of "Baby Give it Up". Others off the top of my head are;

We all dream of a team of Derek Youngs.

Viva Chris Mitchell.

DURNS!

McGuffie scores, we're on the pitch.

I've honestly never heard any of those. Maybe because I've not been to that many away games. Definitely haven't heard them at Palmerston.

Cammy , you can't compare Clark and Holmes saying they have had one good and bad season each. One year ago , Clark , as a young player , wasn't ' ready' and playing under a poor manager and in a lacklustre side. Holmes , on the other hand, had been a senior player for a long time and was as good as he was ever going to be. While I appreciated some of Holmers qualities , Clark is a different goal scoring beast altogether. He will do very well but I cannot be fully behind him now. Thanks for the memories Nicky.

The comparison with Holmes wasn't entirely serious! After making that post I was all set to get shot down, not only for bringing up the H word, but also for suggesting Clark isn't anything other than wonderful and a Queens legend. I'm quite surprised to see that most people view the Clark situation in the same way as myself.

I've honestly never heard any of those. Maybe because I've not been to that many away games. Definitely haven't heard them at Palmerston.

Away games are where the majority of singing/chanting is done. The best you'll get at Palmerston is the occasional outburst of "Championees" (anyone else a bit bored of that chant?). I thought the Ramsdens Final was one of the best atmospheres I've been involved in. Standing and singing for the full duration.

Edited by palmy_cammy

Ok , I am glad you were half joking . Clark has worked his bollocks off this season and richly deserves a big move . I just wish he would have went down South instead of there. Will now have horrible ' the rangers' fans gloating to me about this at work and I am sure I won't be the only one . Still think that McCoist will need a transfer budget of 10 million to win the second division , such is his managerial skills.

Ok , I am glad you were half joking . Clark has worked his bollocks off this season and richly deserves a big move . I just wish he would have went down South instead of there. Will now have horrible ' the rangers' fans gloating to me about this at work and I am sure I won't be the only one . Still think that McCoist will need a transfer budget of 10 million to win the second division , such is his managerial skills.

He won`t get that. If he doesn`t get off to a flying start next season then he`ll be sacked.

That said I`ll be amazed if Rangers don`t absolutely walk SFL2.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Remember clark was saying a few weeks ago he wants to get to the highest level possible and as quick as possible. Personally think this isn't a great move for him playing against teams he has just played against for a whole season might not even start for rangers only thing good about this move is the wage he will pick up .

Another talent tempted to the dark side with the OF shilling.

Can't even argue that the coaching would be better as Ally clearly doesn't have a clue so he's not likely to progress much there either.

Another talent tempted to the dark side with the OF shilling.

Can't even argue that the coaching would be better as Ally clearly doesn't have a clue so he's not likely to progress much there either.

Very good point.

And so it comes to pass. Nicky deserves a rousing send off today after what he has accomplished this season. Whilst I do not rate McCoist as a manager, he was a very good striker so must have some useful tips to pass on to Nicky. I can't help feeling, however, that Nicky will struggle to score so many goals even in a very dominant Rangers side.

We may even be playing against Rangers next season in the SPL2.

I know what you mean here.

I'm not going to pretend Clark hasn't been terrific this season, because he clearly has been. He's scored a ridiculous number of goals overall, and has hit the target in games against Hibs, Rangers, Kilmarnock and Partick in the final.

However, he's a Hell of a lot less irreplaceable than say, Dobbie was ever going to be. The fact is we've created so many chances this season, that our front players couldn't really have failed to be among the goals. Whilst the best strikers have got to be prepared to miss, it's also true that Clark does miss his share of sitters.

I've been resigned to his departing for a while, but it's still the case that there's only one other club I'd be this unhappy to see him leave us for.

I'm afraid I'll find it impossible to enjoy seeing him on the scoresheet next season.

His goal scoring record is indeed pretty amazing. He scored a goal a game in the Scottish Cup and League Cup and was only one goal away from doing the same in the Ramsdens (4 in 5 games)

Even if he doesnt score today 40 goals in 46 games is absolutely fantastic at any level.

I don't really see where he would fail after playing in the league and scoring many goals. Only way he will fail is if he cant handle the pressure of playing for Rangers where he'll be expected to put in a great shift ever game.

Lol going by the shifts your players have put in this year sure he will manage.

Record Watch Update

Presumably the final update to the season records post ( i might do a bit of research into things like clean sheets when I get a chance though!). Today's 1-0 win over Albion Rovers extended out many of the already broken records and of course Nicky Clark's winner ties the club single season scoring record that has stood for 81 years. An amazing achievement. The best defence record and best goal difference are now formally confirmed though it was obvious for a while they'd be coming.

Club Records Already Set:

All time record points total for a season was 67 achieved in the 2001-02 championship season. We finish this season on 92 points, smashing the previous best to smithereens.

Latest First League Defeat in a season. We didn't lose our first league game until December 11th. The previous record was November 9th.

(Tied Record) Most Games Unbeaten from the Start of the Season. We were beaten in our 14th League game which matches the 13 game unbeaten start to 1985/86.

Most wins in a season - 24 in 1961/62. Again, another record smashed. The new record is 29.

Record Unbeaten Run in a Season - 16 games in 1950/51. New record set of 18 games, ended at Stenhousemuir.

Earliest Date for Clinching a League Title - 20th April 2002 was the previous earliest (it was 28th April 1951). This one was clinched on 27th March 2013.

Most points in a season using 2 points for a win - 55 in 85/86 (which was a 39 game season). This season's record equates to 63 despite being three games shorter.

Least defeats in a season - 5 in 1932/33. Best post war is 6 in 1950/51. This season we lost just TWO league games.

(Tied Record) Record Unbeaten Run at Home (League Only) - 18 games. We will go into next season with a chance to beat this.

Least goals conceded in a league season - 31 in 1923/24 but that was a 30 game season. 33 in a 38 game season in 74/75 is probably better. However, this season finishes with just 23 goals conceded.

Best goal difference in a season - +45 in 1961/62. We finish this season with a goal difference of +69.

(Tied Record) Most Goals for an Individual in a Season (All Competitions) - J Rutherford 41 goals, Nicky Clark ties this with 41 goals in 46 games.

And, the one that got away...................

Most goals scored in a season - 99 in 1931/32. Best post war is 94 in 1959/60. We came up just short on this one, finishing the league season with 92 goals. Still an astonishing return in modern football though.

Happy to hear of any corrections in the above existing records? I might have missed something or there may be errors in the source data somewhere.

Guest Flash

Although we didn't know it at the time, we actually had enough points to win the league on 2 March, when there were 10 games left.

I'm gutted this season is over, it is one which I'm sure will stay with all of us forever. It has been simply sensational.

On a side note, i noticed mcguffie was given the captain's armband today (with higgins playing). Am I reading too much in to this, or does anyone else think that that might be the last time we see guff in a queens shirt? I really hope he stays, but it seems odd that he was made captain for no apparent reason.

Have it on good authority that Robinson won't be playing for QoS next season. Not great news as he's a good keeper, hopefully he can be replaced with a good signing.

Although we didn't know it at the time, we actually had enough points to win the league on 2 March, when there were 10 games left.

Thats a great stat :)

Was his 100th start seemingly, something to do with that?

Yes. Higgins tweeted last night that he gave Guff the armband because it was his 100th game