The Queen of the South thread

37 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Rumours that out beloved Chairman is either in or heading to Australia very soon. 
Get him sacked Billy and get that stadium sorted asap. 

I'll have a look around to confirm this rumour. 

Edit to add; maybe he's coming to interview me for the managerial role? He's obviously heard of my limited success coaching my son's U9 team. 

Edited by Swarley

17 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Watched the interview after reading the comments on here and felt the same as a lot of the posters on here. Any time I watch a Bartley interview he likes to say how he takes responsibility, whilst simultaneously blaming individuals for their errors. It's a real pet hate of mine when managers talk about 'individual errors' - you picked the individual, you asked them to play in a way which resulted in an error, and you picked a team that couldn't score a single goal which meant the error actually mattered. They never discount wins due to 'individual brilliance' obviously, it only works with errors...

The highlighting of these errors is only going to make players play even safer resulting in an even more slow, plodding style of play. We've lost a bunch of goals through giving daft possession away in our own third both last season and this season, but McCabe's comments are always positive towards the player and he genuinely takes responsibility by saying 'I ask them to play that way so it's my fault' etc. You have to accept that at League 1 level players will mess up the basics from time to time no matter how much preparation is done. If the system or tactics mean that these errors are regularly costing you then there are bigger issues that need addressed.

I also found it weird how he spent about half the interview on the one error. Losing 1 goal away to Alloa is more than acceptable and I'd bet if you offered most managers that before a game they'd gladly take it, backing themselves to at least get 1 goal and get a point or get 2 or more. It doesn’t seem like that is the major issue.

What get’s me the most is that most of the players he’s gone on about this season are the ones HE brought in. He said he knew these players, watched them, and knew what they would bring to our club!

The majority are so young, inexperienced, and naive it’s unbelievable. Every single game has been the same this season we’ve made the same mistakes at the back and yet he still has them trying to do what they’re not capable of doing.

He needs to go and take a few of his youngsters with him. Make no mistake under him we are heading at best for a relegation playoff and possibly worse.

5 hours ago, Swarley said:

Out of curiosity, what would it take for a change in the Board Room? Does someone need to buy shares from the current Board? If so what kind of sum would we be talking about?

No need to buy shares. 

I haven't refreshed my knowledge of the articles recently, but from memory it's something like:

• minimum 5% shareholding to bring a motion at the AGM to sack a director or elect a new director.
  • for the motion to pass requires 50% + 1 of votes cast on the basis of 1 share, 1 vote.
  • any new director has to own at least one share.

However, there are three very large groups of shareholdings (I believe it's: Davie Rae, the Houlistons, the Blounts). Their holdings are sufficiently large that any motion to sack or appoint a new director would in effect require at least two of the three in support. 

5 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Rumours that out beloved Chairman is either in or heading to Australia very soon. 

He wasnt are the Falkirk game, I assumed he was already in Oz. 

1 hour ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

No need to buy shares. 

I haven't refreshed my knowledge of the articles recently, but from memory it's something like:

• minimum 5% shareholding to bring a motion at the AGM to sack a director or elect a new director.
  • for the motion to pass requires 50% + 1 of votes cast on the basis of 1 share, 1 vote.

However, there are three very large groups of shareholdings (I believe it's: Davie Rae, the Houlistons, the Blounts). Their holdings are sufficiently large that any motion to sack or appoint a new director would in effect require at least two of the three in support. 

Doesn't matter how you wrap it up – losing games to the bottom sides in League 1 is, and always has been unacceptable.

Forget all the systems, formations, players etc. This club has, with incredulous contempt for its true custodians – the wonderful, honest, loyal Queens supporters – refused to change its out-dated, archaic, back-slapping, mates-rates work practices and pretentiously looked down on "lesser" clubs' work models (Arbroath, etc).

Out of date, out of ideas, without true leaders – a relic completely disrespectful to its peers. Queens will always have its fans but it is finished as an organisation fit to dine at the top table.

Anger must now take the place of apathy and a blanket boycott take place to rid Palmerston of its parasites – unrelenting in its efforts until dignity, humility and professionalism replaces the back street, low-life, disrespectful culture that pervades Queen of the South FC..

I mention no names specifically, and will not revert to abusive language; however, start somewhere in the boardroom and oust every one of them.

6 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

You want Billy to sack himself, that'll be an interesting conversation. He wasn't at the Kelty away game, don't know if he's been seen since though. If he's in Oz he's possibly just visiting his relatives and friends who live there. 

Just dawned, it's the Manager you want sacked. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

24 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

Doesn't matter how you wrap it up – losing games to the bottom sides in League 1 is, and always has been unacceptable.

Forget all the systems, formations, players etc. This club has, with incredulous contempt for its true custodians – the wonderful, honest, loyal Queens supporters – refused to change its out-dated, archaic, back-slapping, mates-rates work practices and pretentiously looked down on "lesser" clubs' work models (Arbroath, etc).

Out of date, out of ideas, without true leaders – a relic completely disrespectful to its peers. Queens will always have its fans but it is finished as an organisation fit to dine at the top table.

Anger must now take the place of apathy and a blanket boycott take place to rid Palmerston of its parasites – unrelenting in its efforts until dignity, humility and professionalism replaces the back street, low-life, disrespectful culture that pervades Queen of the South FC..

I mention no names specifically, and will not revert to abusive language; however, start somewhere in the boardroom and oust every one of them.

"Parasites" "low life", "disrespectful" you're not doing a good job of steering clear of abusive language there.

8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'll admit to not being there yet, but I reserve the right to change my tune if we soon drop yet another tier and still look hopeless.

We really can't afford to drop another tier, that really would be tempting fate and flirting with disaster.  We have to sort this now.  I was and am willing to give Bartley time to learn his trade - but that particular "deal" only holds good if we are at least a safe mid-table side or flirting with the promotion play-offs ... we can't afford to provide time to learn his trade if that encompasses a relegation battle.  This needs fixed, and it needs fixed this season.

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

I think there was a steady decline over a few years when Queens were in the Championship. I think there has been a dramatic decline in the last two seasons. If you parachuted this or last season’s team directly into the Championship, I think they’d be miles adrift at the bottom. Even the Queens team that got relegated was still in with a chance of staying up with a couple of games to go. The League 1 teams Queens have had would have been relegated from the Championship with many weeks of the season remaining.

^^^ Can't argue with any of this.

7 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

"Parasites" "low life", "disrespectful" you're not doing a good job of steering clear of abusive language there.

There is no two ways about this for me and that is that Billy Hewitson controls everything at board level and both the other two members fear losing their highly held prestige and privileges if they disagree with him so they are happy to toe the line.

There is no ambition across the board and it's not going to change unless Hewitson steps in or we supporters step in.

I have such a deep dislike for Hewitson that I even imagine him trying to work alongside any new member, or in any sale of the club so that some form of agreement can again be made for him to stay.

Now or never for a major protest to get rid of this buffoon because, if he survives this, then he's with us till death (of the club or himself).

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

I think there was a steady decline over a few years when Queens were in the Championship. I think there has been a dramatic decline in the last two seasons. If you parachuted this or last season’s team directly into the Championship, I think they’d be miles adrift at the bottom. Even the Queens team that got relegated was still in with a chance of staying up with a couple of games to go. The League 1 teams Queens have had would have been relegated from the Championship with many weeks of the season remaining.

Yeah, that's probably fair.

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

This is as testy as I've seen the Queens thread, especially aimed at the board. No wonder SD stopped posting. 

I don't think we're overly precious as a group of fans. We see ourselves as a decent sized town/club that should be capable of competing at Championship level, but at the same time we recognise that the league structure operates correctly on sporting merit so that if our standards drop then we rightly need to swallow our pride and rebuild again at L1 level. So a sojourn in L1 is what it is provided we can see the seeds of a rebuild and we would cut the BOD/manager some slack for a couple or so seasons to steady the ship ready to go again

However, the risk of dropping to the bottom tier is too great for many of us and particularly with the new pyramid structure and the rise of independently funded junior/village clubs.

The MO of Queens fans is not to protest noisily but instead just not to attend - so a drop to the bottom tier would see a drastic drop in attendances (which are already slumping alarmingly) leading to even more cuts in budget and the inevitable slippery slope. These are worrying times.

Thankfully I am an exile at the moment so don't have to suffer the experience of a game. But I have experienced a William H take the club to the depths. A bit of history seems to be repeating itself. An autocratic chairman who actually appears to be a victim of the Peter Principle. 

On 13/11/2023 at 14:06, Priti priti priti Patel said:

No need to buy shares. 

So are you saying that Hewitson doesn't own that many shares? If so, then is it the backing of Rae/Blount/Houliston that have made him chairman?