The Queen of the South thread

31 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Well, one thing's for sure ... Marvin's not going anywhere soon now - I'm assuming the BOD liked what they saw today!

Looks like this has the makings of another batsh*t crazy season from Queens.

Next up: an Embra in freefall at home, Stirling away and the massive Southern/Borders/Dumfriesshire/not-Galloway/Solway derby with Annan at home ... on the face of it three winable ties - dare we hope?  Surely not?  We should know better shouldn't we?

Delighted with today but any time we've had a good result we've followed it up with another poor performance. Given the state of Edinburgh the now I won't be looking too much into next week's result if we get the win. The Stirling game should be an indicator as to whether or not we've turned a corner IMO. It feels very much like a stay of execution at this point. 

Outstanding result and what we have been waiting on... but what changed? I wasn't there to comment on tactics/formation but it seems there was a change away from the way MB historically this season has had us playing?  Am i being too cynical? I think there has been alot of discussions with the BoD this week, even with training in Palmy, and I'm convinced that after that result, a change in tactic was 'advised' (without coffee).  That in itself is a worry if true but hey ho.... a few more than winable games coming up now and more of the same please.....

My views on the manager remain the same, but league safety is the priority for now so focus on that 

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Delighted with today but any time we've had a good result we've followed it up with another poor performance. Given the state of Edinburgh the now I won't be looking too much into next week's result if we get the win. The Stirling game should be an indicator as to whether or not we've turned a corner IMO. It feels very much like a stay of execution at this point. 

I agree that Stirling will be a better barometer than next week. On paper the forthcoming fixtures give us an opportunity to potentially hoist ourselves into the lofty heights of mid-table. It sounds as though we were on the front foot “right from the off” yesterday something that has rarely been the case this season. An attacking philosophy is certainly a much more sensible strategy than aimless passing deep in our own half so let’s hope that we can follow up in the coming weeks with more of the same.

The first priority has to be to get as far away from second bottom as possible and then see if we can genuinely look upwards.

Don't think even the most ardent of supporters expected that result yesterday even though we have shown in the cups how we're capable of playing. With the right personnel and playing further up the park on the front foot makes all the difference. As has been mentioned the remainder of this month, with its favourable looking fixtures is pivotal. A play-off place is still achievable and to get it as a form team wouldn't be a bad thing.

Yesterdays result probably got Bartley to January and saved BH money, let's see what the next few games bring.

Edited by bod

Just can’t understand yesterday. The previous week was like watching a second rate pub team play. With the exception of maybe Reilly no one was even trying,  so to score 4 goals pretty unbelievable. Not sure where this now leaves us as obviously the team can play when they want to.

Think next weeks game against Edin City will prove how lucky Queens are to have an astute businessman in charge of the finances. Edin will turn up with a team full of there u20's squad. The Edinburgh players have not been paid wages for the last two months... Tough time for them lads... 

Anyway great win yesterday hopefully the team can continue on from that and win the last 3 games of the year & revive the play off push... 

Get the squad down training at Palmerston more often too. It's the least the players can do. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

43 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Think next weeks game against Edin City will prove how lucky Queens are to have an astute businessman in charge of the finances. Edin will turn up with a team full of there u20's squad. The Edinburgh players have not been paid wages for the last two months... Tough time for them lads... 

Anyway great win yesterday hopefully the team can continue on from that and win the last 3 games of the year & revive the play off push... 

Get the squad down training at Palmerston more often too. It's the least the players can do. 

If the Edinburgh "first -teamers" are free to leave are there any we would take?

If Ambrose goes at Christmas, would it be worth taking Fontaine until the end of the season. Marv will know him from their days at Hibs.

52 minutes ago, bod said:

If the Edinburgh "first -teamers" are free to leave are there any we would take?

If Ambrose goes at Christmas, would it be worth taking Fontaine until the end of the season. Marv will know him from their days at Hibs.

Budget wise we might have to off-load first before bringing any in.

But yes, Fontaine might be a more solid/stable presence in the back line.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

How is Marvin doing? I haven't kept myself abreast with Queen of the South this season. He's never struck me as the kind of guy I would be running through brick walls for just from listening to him on the radio.

League position says it all really. The odd outstanding/ unexpected result amid a sea of dross. 

I knows some think there should be a  separate 'nostalgia' category but there isn't so I make  no apology for the following which is totally relevant to QOS and certainly of interest to those of us of a certain generation.

Robert (Rab) Thorburn - who seems a thoroughly nice guy - has posted on Facebook that Ian Reid is suffering from dementia. A prolific scorer from the early seventies , always committed and although not the tallest could rise above tough tall defenders to get his head on the ball.  He, and so many others, in the course of their work have provided us with pleasure, and entertainment over the years and we should not forget them.  Wish him and his family well.

He was part of that team of the seventies who provided some memorable results against Dundee 6-0 (LC), St,Johnstone 3-2 (SC) and of course Ayr United 2-2 then 5-4 (SC) as well as a fantastic run in the League from being bottom in Nov '76 to finishing 6th I think , maybe 5th which doesn't sound much but considering where we were before then a remarkable achievement against some very good teams.

It was also mentioned that Mike Jackson, Billy McLaren and Ches  - stalwarts of the Club -are all affected by illness at the moment. I could say much more about each one of them but will just share a memory of Billy McLaren for now.  Jan 1973 home to East Fife (SC) - then a top Division team - crowd 5, 000 plus on the day that there was the first ever Sunday Market in the Car Park - Traffic chaos !  Anyway, East Fife had a great winger, Bertie Miller, who was the typical diminutive Scottish winger and he clashed with big Billy. Wisely he moved swiftly away  but Billy , as you would imagine, pursued him across the pitch to let him know what was what !  The image of the tall McLaren chasing this tiny winger amused me at the time and has stayed with me to the present day.

These guys are heroes of mine, and I am sure of many others here, and I wish to thank them for the memories they have provided and wish them and there families well.

That group seemed to have a special bond evidenced, after their playing days, by meeting up for reunions on a regular bais.

40 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I knows some think there should be a  separate 'nostalgia' category but there isn't so I make  no apology for the following which is totally relevant to QOS and certainly of interest to those of us of a certain generation.

Robert (Rab) Thorburn - who seems a thoroughly nice guy - has posted on Facebook that Ian Reid is suffering from dementia. A prolific scorer from the early seventies , always committed and although not the tallest could rise above tough tall defenders to get his head on the ball.  He, and so many others, in the course of their work have provided us with pleasure, and entertainment over the years and we should not forget them.  Wish him and his family well.

He was part of that team of the seventies who provided some memorable results against Dundee 6-0 (LC), St,Johnstone 3-2 (SC) and of course Ayr United 2-2 then 5-4 (SC) as well as a fantastic run in the League from being bottom in Nov '76 to finishing 6th I think , maybe 5th which doesn't sound much but considering where we were before then a remarkable achievement against some very good teams.

It was also mentioned that Mike Jackson, Billy McLaren and Ches  - stalwarts of the Club -are all affected by illness at the moment. I could say much more about each one of them but will just share a memory of Billy McLaren for now.  Jan 1973 home to East Fife (SC) - then a top Division team - crowd 5, 000 plus on the day that there was the first ever Sunday Market in the Car Park - Traffic chaos !  Anyway, East Fife had a great winger, Bertie Miller, who was the typical diminutive Scottish winger and he clashed with big Billy. Wisely he moved swiftly away  but Billy , as you would imagine, pursued him across the pitch to let him know what was what !  The image of the tall McLaren chasing this tiny winger amused me at the time and has stayed with me to the present day.

These guys are heroes of mine, and I am sure of many others here, and I wish to thank them for the memories they have provided and wish them and there families well.

That group seemed to have a special bond evidenced, after their playing days, by meeting up for reunions on a regular bais.

I was also very sorry to hear of Ian Reid’s illness and of course Billy McLaren, Ches and Mike Jackson.

Reidy was a class act and if he had been blessed with pace we would not have been able to secure his services. Great finisher and a great team player. As you say that group had a great bond/team spirit and Mike Jackson was hugely responsible for creating that togetherness.I remember Mike as a player (although I was young at the time!!) - he was slow but what a great midfield player - oozed quality.

In some ways that squad underachieved a little - but a very entertaining time to watch Queens.

3 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

No apology necessary NW for your post. I too was lucky to witness these players grace Palmerston. Shame to hear of their health problems but we can always think back to the pleasure they gave. As you say they meet up occasionally, can't think of any squads since then who had such a bond. Wishing them all the best. 

5 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

No probs @Nithsdale Wanderer I'm of that vintage too, and the club thread is fine for this (in my view).

Rab Thorburn was at Strathclyde University when I was there (75-79), he was doing Mech. Engineering.  I'm sure I heard that he's a very successful businessman these days.  If only he had a few scoobies to spare and was daft enough to plough them into Palmerston!

Real shame about Iain Reid - such a classy forward, scored some lovely goals for us, including finishing a lovely move in a 2-1 win at Brockville that earned us a brick through the bus window leaving the ground - sadly quite a few of those goals with his head which has no doubt contributed to his dementia.  Tragic to hear.

Fondly remember that East Fife cup tie, they were in the top league that season and it was the very first Sunday that fitba had been allowed by the SFA/SFL so it drew a big crowd of 5,702 (according to Iain McCartney's fine book).  That was before the days of segregation and fans used to change ends at half time but for some reason the EF fans thought they'd stay put in the Portland Rd for the second half - bad move lads, they got punted double quick time when the home fans arrived!  Won that game with a John Dempster penalty - think maybe Derek Renton (ex Hearts) was fouled for the penalty?  Went to the next round up at East End Park (also a Sunday game) and that drew 7,692 with The Pars also in the top league then - and alas my hero John Dempster managed to miss a sitter, clearing the bar somehow from the six yard line.  East End Park was a cracking old time stadium back then.

We had a fine side then with guys like Allan Ball (rip), Iain McChesney, Billy Mclaren, Crawford Boyd, Jimmy Donald, John Dempster, Iain Reid and the late but great Tommy O'Hara who was a marvellously gifted ball player.  Dempster was very much the penalty taker then and had a bullet of a right foot on him.  Sad to hear that several of that side are having their struggles now - best wishes to all.

13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

No probs @Nithsdale Wanderer I'm of that vintage too, and the club thread is fine for this (in my view).

Rab Thorburn was at Strathclyde University when I was there (75-79), he was doing Mech. Engineering.  I'm sure I heard that he's a very successful businessman these days.  If only he had a few scoobies to spare and was daft enough to plough them into Palmerston!

Real shame about Iain Reid - such a classy forward, scored some lovely goals for us, including finishing a lovely move in a 2-1 win at Brockville that earned us a brick through the bus window leaving the ground - sadly quite a few of those goals with his head which has no doubt contributed to his dementia.  Tragic to hear.

Fondly remember that East Fife cup tie, they were in the top league that season and it was the very first Sunday that fitba had been allowed by the SFA/SFL so it drew a big crowd of 5,702 (according to Iain McCartney's fine book).  That was before the days of segregation and fans used to change ends at half time but for some reason the EF fans thought they'd stay put in the Portland Rd for the second half - bad move lads, they got punted double quick time when the home fans arrived!  Won that game with a John Dempster penalty - think maybe Derek Renton (ex Hearts) was fouled for the penalty?  Went to the next round up at East End Park (also a Sunday game) and that drew 7,692 with The Pars also in the top league then - and alas my hero John Dempster managed to miss a sitter, clearing the bar somehow from the six yard line.  East End Park was a cracking old time stadium back then.

We had a fine side then with guys like Allan Ball (rip), Iain McChesney, Billy Mclaren, Crawford Boyd, Jimmy Donald, John Dempster, Iain Reid and the late but great Tommy O'Hara who was a marvellously gifted ball player.  Dempster was very much the penalty taker then and had a bullet of a right foot on him.  Sad to hear that several of that side are having their struggles now - best wishes to all.

I was at EEP that day too and remember that miss by Dempster. In his defence, the pitch was a midden that day which surely contributed.