The Queen of the South thread

40 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Remarkable that Bartley seems to have survived (for another week at least) such a run.

4pts from 33 in the league. 

Just checked our other recent sackings and all were on "not as bad" a run. Johnston, Naysmith, Fowler and MacPherson all had at least 8 points from their last 11 games. Gibson had 15 (and 18 from 12)

Not suggesting those sackings were wrong at all but just staggered that BoD can allow this to continue.

What is keeping him in post? It has to be cost/lack of alternative? 

I am hoping (and praying now) that there is a clause in his contract that he gets an untouchable year.... which gives us the first week in January before he can be punted.... The board will be scathing with results and very much doubt they will be happy so fully expect this has been a stinker of a binding contract......

59 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Thing is, we're not scoring goals at the other end either.  Which can mean one of two things:  either we are playing a system which restricts the number of chances we can create, which in turn adds pressure on the forwards to turn a ridiculously high percentage of chances into goals - something that even Paton couldn't do last season given the number of chances he spurned;  or the nine other clubs have defenders who just don't make mistakes, in which case you have to ask why are their defenders not playing at a higher level?

To make mistakes as a defender you need to be under pressure. Other teams know how we play, slow from the back so can push up knowing they won't be caught out as we don't have enough attackers up front. We don't pressure other teams back 4/5 like they do to us so allows them more time on the ball, more thinking time to make that pass under no pressure.

In Dundee United match we didn't play so much at the back, was it the same at Hamilton 

38 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I think you/we all know the answer to your question (and it's not the latter).

Zip will happen before Saturday, and I think zip will happen before the New Year - I just hope that by then it's not too late to steady the ship and avoid L2.

There is a real possibility we could be bottom of the league after the Edinburgh game. League 1 (one)!!!!!

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I think you/we all know the answer to your question (and it's not the latter).

Zip will happen before Saturday, and I think zip will happen before the New Year - I just hope that by then it's not too late to steady the ship and avoid L2.

Yep, seems that way. Obviously no idea on figures but what price is worth giving out 3 points to each of our fellow relegation challengers before then? As said, if this isnt sorted out before January we could easily be rock bottom. 

3 hours ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Remarkable that Bartley seems to have survived (for another week at least) such a run.

4pts from 33 in the league. 

Just checked our other recent sackings and all were on "not as bad" a run. Johnston, Naysmith, Fowler and MacPherson all had at least 8 points from their last 11 games. Gibson had 15 (and 18 from 12)

Not suggesting those sackings were wrong at all but just staggered that BoD can allow this to continue.

What is keeping him in post? It has to be cost/lack of alternative? 

That's an incredible stat. One win, one draw and nine losses in league one. To even try to make that stat happen would be difficult. Even you or I in charge would struggle to set up a team and motivate them to do worse.

I feel for you guys, seems like you are where we were two years ago (or even worse). 

I rarely make comment on other teams managers but did so on here after the game at ours where you lost by one goal. Bartley's post match interview was absolutely deluded and I worried for you then. Really surprised you've stuck with him so long, even if it's financial surely someone experienced in the team or coaching staff could have taken over in the interim and not done worse? Isn't that what the likes of kelty did with tidser and that's gone well enough so far.

At this point I really hope there's some kind of release clause after the first year but even if there is, as others have said, we could be sitting bottom by then. 

WG and MB have been failures but I think had they originally came in earlier instead of our BoD clinging on to the previous manager there was a belief we may have had a better chance of avoiding relegation/sneaking 4th place, respectively. The reality is they took too long to replace the manager and it cost us. This could be the 3rd time in a row. They really need to get their fingers out their arses and do the deed or their hesitancy could cost us for the 3rd time in a row. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

At this point I really hope there's some kind of release clause after the first year but even if there is, as others have said, we could be sitting bottom by then. 

WG and MB have been failures but I think had they originally came in earlier instead of our BoD clinging on to the previous manager there was a belief we may have had a better chance of avoiding relegation/sneaking 4th place, respectively. The reality is they took too long to replace the manager and it cost us. This could be the 3rd time in a row. They really need to get their fingers out their arses and do the deed or their hesitancy could cost us for the 3rd time in a row. 

This is all about cost. Will be  over £50,000 to get rid of  Marv with no guarantee any new  manager will do better.

Huge gamble for a club our size to take .

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

That's an incredible stat. One win, one draw and nine losses in league one. To even try to make that stat happen would be difficult. Even you or I in charge would struggle to set up a team and motivate them to do worse.

I feel for you guys, seems like you are where we were two years ago (or even worse). 

I rarely make comment on other teams managers but did so on here after the game at ours where you lost by one goal. Bartley's post match interview was absolutely deluded and I worried for you then. Really surprised you've stuck with him so long, even if it's financial surely someone experienced in the team or coaching staff could have taken over in the interim and not done worse? Isn't that what the likes of kelty did with tidser and that's gone well enough so far.

In the last 4 seasons I don’t think Falkirk have ever been as bad as queens currently are. Even in the seasons when they didn’t finish in the playoffs they were at least still close. The only playoffs queens have any chance of this season are the relegation playoffs. 

10 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

In the last 4 seasons I don’t think Falkirk have ever been as bad as queens currently are. Even in the seasons when they didn’t finish in the playoffs they were at least still close. The only playoffs queens have any chance of this season are the relegation playoffs. 

They did manage to miss out on the top 4 and the play-offs altogether one year.  That struck me as a staggering achievement for a club of their size.  

We're obviously a smaller club, but we're giving them a real run in the comedy performance stakes this year. If we slip into relegation territory, even Falkirk fans will have to admire such profound crapness.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They did manage to miss out on the top 4 and the play-offs altogether one year.  That struck me as a staggering achievement for a club of their size.  

We're obviously a smaller club, but we're giving them a real run in the comedy performance stakes this year. If we slip into relegation territory, even Falkirk fans will have to admire such profound crapness.

They missed out two seasons in a row (20/21 and 21/22) but the point I was making is that even during those seasons I don’t think Falkirk were as bad as queens currently are. 

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

This is all about cost. Will be  over £50,000 to get rid of  Marv with no guarantee any new  manager will do better.

Huge gamble for a club our size to take .

Behave , the BOD take some stick at times but when it comes to managerial contract they’re not silly. 

30 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

That's true but I was alluding (perhaps vaguely!) as much to the fact that as well as points totals not being as you would expect for a full time club of our size we were also appointing inexperienced managers to get us out of a hole while at the same time starting to become the focus of media and other fans attention in a negative way with the infamous "that's not a question" night, similar ish to the post match Bartley rants.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yep. This.

26 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

They missed out two seasons in a row (20/21 and 21/22) but the point I was making is that even during those seasons I don’t think Falkirk were as bad as queens currently are. 

Unfortunately we went down the road of managers (one who was appointed and didn’t even apply for the job, and in his first interview looked liked a smug greasy fat arse) and then a succession of experiments with English shop dumplings so called footballers, coupled with the best top “coaches”. Wasn’t until we appointed an experienced head that we assembled a decent 15. At pains to say but Queens look like they’ve/they are copying our footprint. Sincerely hope you don’t go down, still a great ground and support.

Edited by Springfield

47 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

They missed out two seasons in a row (20/21 and 21/22) 

Yes, you're right.  

The first of them was abridged, but it still seems incredible that they finished up adrift of the play-offs.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

14 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

So, big financial problems developing at Edinburgh City. Will they come to Queens rescue this season? ... straws, clutching at ... etc etc

I imagine we’ll have our own financial problems sooner rather than later to worry about - sub 1000 crowds and continued league 1/2 football isn’t sustainable for a “full time” club.

2 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

I imagine we’ll have our own financial problems sooner rather than later to worry about - sub 1000 crowds and continued league 1/2 football isn’t sustainable for a “full time” club.

Good. Get us part time and get in some decent players...

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good. Get us part time and get in some decent players...

Clubs like Queen of the South are constantly faced with an array of factors to consider when participating in the debt finance market – predominantly pricing, maturities, the potential impact of relegation or promotion, the assets available to provide or take as security and the myriad of rules and regulations applicable to them and their activities.

I doubt that a move to part-time football would allow us to continue with our major interests out with the playing side.