The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I've thought for a good while now he'll get another go at it next season and would only be sacked towards November/December time if it's been yet another poor first half of the season. 

Lucky if crowds will be above the 600 - 650 mark by end of this season way things are going. Surely that would be reason enough to get  rid?

1 minute ago, rubber_duck said:

Lucky if crowds will be above the 600 - 650 mark by end of this season way things are going. Surely that would be reason enough to get  rid?

You would think so and if it was my call he'd already be gone but I'm not so sure what you describe would lead to his dismissal. 

3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

You would think so and if it was my call he'd already be gone but I'm not so sure what you describe would lead to his dismissal. 

Wonder what the BoD, in relation to average crowd size, based this seasons playing budget on? 1100 odd or thereabouts? Less? If approx 10-15% down on that surely the manager is culpable, of sorts. 

58 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Since it became much less likely we would be relegated I've thought he'll get another go at it next season and would only be sacked towards November/December time if it's been yet another poor first half of the season. 

^^^ Yep, this.

39 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Average attendance 2016/17: 1,857

Average attendance 2023/24: 874 (and falling)

That level of decline is surely an existential threat. I don't know why the club isn't in crisis mode.

Not totally fair - Queens were a Champinship team in 2016/17

3 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Average attendance 2016/17: 1,857

Average attendance 2023/24: 874 (and falling)

That level of decline is surely an existential threat. I don't know why the club isn't in crisis mode.

Falkirk have made no secret of the fact it’s been a struggle maintaining a full time playing budget in this division so I’ve honestly no idea how you manage to sustain full time football on crowds that low while in the third tier! Did the club have big built up cash reserves to fall back on when relegated? Or is somebody externally funding an operating loss? 

4 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Falkirk have made no secret of the fact it’s been a struggle maintaining a full time playing budget in this division so I’ve honestly no idea how you manage to sustain full time football on crowds that low while in the third tier! Did the club have big built up cash reserves to fall back on when relegated? Or is somebody externally funding an operating loss? 

We had just under 900k in the bank when we got relegated. 

The Queen's Arena also gives us some income. 

There's a reason why we have a team stuffed with youth and that's because their wages are low. 

Would expect us to be part time next season as the accounts must look horrific now and subsequent attendance will drop to 500 levels. 

Shame as we used to be quite settled in the championship till this current Chairman took over and slowly destroyed everything - and still he remains with only a few mutterings of displeasure on the internet as pressure.  Fans have given up, we've  no fight left,  utterly done as a club. 

Edited by Kunter

7 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Not totally fair - Queens were a Champinship team in 2016/17

Indeed.  That's a huge part of the decline people are identifying.  There's nothing sneaky or misleading about comparing the figures.

We got very much better gates when we played at a higher level among bigger clubs.

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Since it became much less likely we would be relegated I've thought he'll get another go at it next season and would only be sacked towards November/December time if it's been yet another poor first half of the season. 

Yeah, that probably sounds about right.

I'd hope, however, that the bar for retaining his services next winter would be pretty high.  I'd want us to be challenging for the title in a Falkirk-free landscape, rather than just hoping to sneak into the top four.

I'm not sure if the attendance figures quoted above are entirely accurate since our lowest league crowd this season was 945 v Kelty, in fact the only game that drew a lower number was the challenge cup game against Arbroath (786).  Perhaps the above numbers account for all games (home and away), or home fans only for Palmerston matches.  (This is when we need SD to be on hand to clarify matters)!

That said, the decline in attendances in my opinion pales in comparison to the decline on the pitch and standards in place at the club.  For example, 10 seasons ago we took Saturday's opponents, St Mirren, to a replay in the Scottish Cup with the following team:

Clark; Mitchell, Durnan, Higgins, Holt; McShane, McKenna; Burns, Paton, Russell; Reilly.  On the bench were Atkinson, Lyle, Carmichael, Dowie & Dzierzawski.

If any of the BOD were to look at that team and compare it to the bunch of charlatans and gangsters*, or our current standing in the game and struggles to beat the likes of Kelty, Stirling and Montrose (with no disrespect meant to those clubs) could they honestly say that their overseeing of the club is becoming at best, complacent, or at worst shambolic?  Indeed, based on MB's signings and managerial record, how can they possibly be content to continue in the direction we are going in with him in charge?  There just seems to be a general shrugging of the shoulders and acceptance of decline with no idea or instention as to how to arrest it.  Hanging onto an incompetent manager on purely on financial grounds while we flail about in lower mid table in the hope that he can somehow elevate us to fourth place in the third tier says it all about the lack of ambition or priority at top end of the club.

* not in the Derek Lyle sense of the word.

2 hours ago, Kunter said:

We had just under 900k in the bank when we got relegated. 

The Queen's Arena also gives us some income. 

There's a reason why we have a team stuffed with youth and that's because their wages are low. 

Would expect us to be part time next season as the accounts must look horrific now and subsequent attendance will drop to 500 levels. 

Shame as we used to be quite settled in the championship till this current Chairman took over and slowly destroyed everything - and still he remains with only a few mutterings of displeasure on the internet as pressure.  Fans have given up, we've  no fight left,  utterly done as a club. 

Presumably cash reserves will have been well and truly burnt through pretty soon? Falkirk have been running operating loses ever year in this division and burnt through a similar pot of money post relegation pretty quickly and that’s with crowds holding up around the 4k mark. I’ve no idea how Queens are managing to sustain a full time operation to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Kunter said:

My memory is that we had a big tax bill outstanding and we're notorious around town for not paying our bills when this Chairman took over, but I could be mis-remembering?

34 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Presumably cash reserves will have been well and truly burnt through pretty soon? Falkirk have been running operating loses ever year in this division and burnt through a similar pot of money post relegation pretty quickly and that’s with crowds holding up around the 4k mark. I’ve no idea how Queens are managing to sustain a full time operation to be honest. 

Yeah, I'm sure we're not aware of the full/real picture here which could indeed be pretty dismal.  That said, I doubt that Falkirk's FT budget is comparable to Queen's FT budget, there will be an order of magnitude of difference and the evidence supports this.  Although Queens sign players on FT contracts, they're mostly sourced from a lower market than Falkirk's - eg we signed a "striker" Doherty from a poor relegated Clyde side (hardly an attractive prospect you'd imagine).  Our bar is set substantially lower than Falkirk's and the squads and of course our league positions reflect this.  I'd also imagine that the backroom operation at Falkirk will be substantially more expensive than at Palmerston - out of necessity we tend to run things on a shoestring.

Edited by Otis Blue

2 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

The board are running the club into the ground and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the begging buckets out again soon.

4 hours ago, Slipmat said:

I'm not sure if the attendance figures quoted above are entirely accurate since our lowest league crowd this season was 945 v Kelty, in fact the only game that drew a lower number was the challenge cup game against Arbroath (786).  Perhaps the above numbers account for all games (home and away), or home fans only for Palmerston matches.  (This is when we need SD to be on hand to clarify matters)!

Other websites have your average crowd as 1201 & 1218.

5 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

The board are running the club into the ground and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the begging buckets out again soon.

Correct…..The new account figures due out soon will be very interesting