The Queen of the South thread

Yep on the rangers os he's agreed a 3 year deal

On the BBC Website - Nicky Clark: Rangers agree deal to sign Queen of the South striker

Cheerio Nicky. Can't say I ever warmed to him, and I think the whole team deserves credit for that goal tally, but also admit I didn't grumble when he kept scoring.

I think he's the right sort of chap for The Rangers. Maybe that's why I never warmed to him.

Since leaving Queens he's been second choice keeper at Morton and Hamilton Accies, David Hutton probably isn't a keeper you want between the sticks for a promotion charge.

Then again neither is Chris Smith.

Did I hear somewhere that Smith was quitting football in order to join the polis?

At least he'll always be remembered quite fondly down here... :lol:

Clark has got to be the least-liked record scoring striker in football history! However strange it is, it's a sentiment I fully concur with. His future destination won't gain him any fans either.

For what it's worth I don't think he'll be a success at The Rangers.

On the BBC Website - Nicky Clark: Rangers agree deal to sign Queen of the South striker

Cheerio Nicky. Can't say I ever warmed to him, and I think the whole team deserves credit for that goal tally, but also admit I didn't grumble when he kept scoring.

I think he's the right sort of chap for The Rangers. Maybe that's why I never warmed to him.

It`s all about opinion I guess but for me Nicky was absolutely outstanding this season. Not just his goals but the huge improvement in his overall play. Credit to him and good luck to him in my view. I`d much rather he wasn`t going to Rangers but the guy was excellent for us this season. Chance for some financial security and to play for the team he supports. Can`t see many folk turning that down.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Did I hear somewhere that Smith was quitting football in order to join the polis?

At least he'll always be remembered quite fondly down here... :lol:

I might be wrong but I'm sure he's now signed with Stenny?

Sure I watched him on the highlights on the SFL website, he guffed a pass and allowed someone in for an easy goal.

I might be wrong but I'm sure he's now signed with Stenny?Sure I watched him on the highlights on the SFL website, he guffed a pass and allowed someone in for an easy goal.

He's signed for us next season.

Had one howler in the last game of the season which is probably what you are referring to.

Was different class apart from that certainly more than capable for this level.

It`s all about opinion I guess but for me Nicky was absolutely outstanding this season. Not just his goals but the huge improvement in his overall play. Credit to him and good luck to him in my view. I`d much rather he wasn`t going to Rangers but the guy was excellent for us this season. Chance for some financial security and to play for the team he supports. Can`t see many folk turning that down.

It's a largely irrational dislike on my part, I know. Agree he vastly improved - but I think it's impossible to split that out from the vast improvement of the whole team. I don't wish him ill by any means, though am irked by his comments about 'the best team' blah blah blah.

I am not also sure it is a decent career move for him, time will tell.

According to todays standard Kevin Smith has been released. So I would guess everyone that Magic wanted to keep from last term has been fixed up apart from Robinson and Young.

I take it McShane has also been released and Black has turned down a new deal.

If Robinson is not going to sign I notice Paul Gallagher and Jonny Tuffey are free agents at moment

That will probably mean 3 more new faces coming in .

Maybe Ryan Donnolly in for Smith ?

Part of me wishes Clark all the best for the future, but the other part hopes he scores 3 goals, The Rangers fail to get promoted and Queens win the First Division! :P

Would not be surprised at all if Smith is gone . Promises so much with that talented left foot but hasn't really delivered . Injury has not been kind to him either to be fair. His brief highlights for me were the hat trick against Morton nearly two years ago and that delicious cross ( that I was right in line with ) for Clarks equaliser v East Fife.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I know I've posted on this matter before, but does nobody else have a problem with what Clark is quoted as saying in today's Scotsman?

"My dad has been great for me throughout my career,” added Clark. “He has been there and done it. He played for Rangers as well, of course, so when they came in for me he was really keen for me to sign."

Lest we forget, Clark's dad is the Queen of the South assistant manager. Clark has enjoyed a record breaking season at Queens and was offered a contract to stay. Why the Hell would a senior management figure at our club be "really keen" for him to leave?

I can accept that in the real world, someone might be excited about their son signing for a big club. The whole idea that this can be so blatantly declared, without causing any kind of stir however, is annoying and downright disrespectful.

Clark senior maybe needs to remember who he works for.

I know I've posted on this matter before, but does nobody else have a problem with what Clark is quoted as saying in today's Scotsman?

"My dad has been great for me throughout my career, added Clark. He has been there and done it. He played for Rangers as well, of course, so when they came in for me he was really keen for me to sign."

Lest we forget, Clark's dad is the Queen of the South assistant manager. Clark has enjoyed a record breaking season at Queens and was offered a contract to stay. Why the Hell would a senior management figure at our club be "really keen" for him to leave?

I can accept that in the real world, someone might be excited about their son signing for a big club. The whole idea that this can be so blatantly declared, without causing any kind of stir however, is annoying and downright disrespectful.

In fairness Clark junior should perhaps have kept that too himself. As disappointing as it is, I don't think we should be too hard on father or son.

Both of them have contributed to an absolutely fantastic season. Let's face it not many would have been too disappointed if Nickyhad left in the summer last year.

I am not going to let the comments sour my opinion of either of them. We have had some great times over the last nine months and Nicky has earned his big pay day. I am sure his last season with Queens will live with him for a very long time. Instead of being pissed off I wish him all the best.

"My dad has been great for me throughout my career,” added Clark. “He has been there and done it. He played for Rangers as well, of course, so when they came in for me he was really keen for me to sign."

Did it occur that he may have meant really keen for him to sign for Rangers over an English or Polish club rather than really keen for him to leave Queens?

That Clark Jnr was going to be leaving us in the summer has been realistically obvious for months, no matter how good an offer we made him. After that it was only about the destination. Rangers confirmed interest was I believe quite late on and earlier it had looked like he'd head down South. In that context I see no problems at all with the quote.

Cant see anything particularly wrong with it, to be honest. As SD says, the context of the quote could be totally different to how your portraying it.

I see no problems at all with the quote.

No, I didn't think you would.

Personally, I think Sandy Clark found himself in a conflicted position here and it might have been more respectful if he and his son had trodden more carefully and been more sensitive.

I acknowledge myself that in reality, it's likely that there's little about the conversations between the two that would have been unusual.

I'm genuinely irked however that because it's Rangers who've come in, nobody can expect Sandy Clark to do anything other than fly a Rangers flag, despite being our employee.

The appearance of quotes like those is disrespectful to Queens.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

The only issue I have with that quote is that it's terrible advice from Clark Snr. A move to England would have been a far better career move, and staying with us would've offered him a chance to deal with some unfinished business in a league he has previously failed in.

I appreciate the reasons behind his move but they don't sit well with me. It's a pathetic lack of ambition and shows a terribly small minded attitude.