The Queen of the South thread

54 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Watched the game tonight on alba and I was actually was quite surprised and impressed with how you played until you went 1-0 up then after that Falkirk showed why they're unbeaten and QOTS showed why they're in a dogfight relegation battle out of the games I've seen QOTS this season it was definitely the most you offered going forward but the defending after taking the lead was absolutely dreadful and way to open against Falkirk.

You were right about Mombongo.

14 minutes ago, bod said:

He actually wasn't as bad tonight than what he was for us but his finishing is still absolutely dreadful he's got nowhere near the ability to play for a full time team.

1 minute ago, Ian Mcleod said:

He actually wasn't as bad tonight than what he was for us but his finishing is still absolutely dreadful he's got nowhere near the ability to play for a full time team.

Yep, missed a very good chance last week and again tonight.

2 minutes ago, bod said:

Yep, missed a very good chance last week and again tonight.

He missed a couple of very good chances tonight imo 2 or 3 that he should have been hitting the target at least. 

Edited by Ian Mcleod

If this team played in the Southern Counties of rhe 80s and 90s they would be scraping along rhe bottom two or three  places.

Lets be honest about it, we could assemble a squad from this thread and beat them nine times aut of ten. The club is shite from top to bottom. 

Marv is going to guide us through these "choppy waters" apparently. That's reassuring to know. 

So who do we want to come down from the Championship and up from L2? 

I know we've discussed how in-house interviews aren't going to be tough on the manager, but it makes me wonder what the point of doing them at all is when we have to wait for nearly 3 minutes into a 5 minute interview before the interviewer actually asks him a question.

Edit to add that my first question after conceding 4 goals wouldn't be "should we be taking more shots" but "do you think we were punished for playing such a high defensive line?".

Edited by Slipmat

10 hours ago, bod said:

I thought he was a handful last night and unlucky not to score. Our issue lies further back. McKay should never play defensively for us again and Logan a headless chicken. Midfield Ferguson missing again and Cochran has been very poor recently. Until we stop conceding a barrow load of soft goals we are going to win nothing. When we went ahead again last night I just prayed for us to shut up shop but again terrible tactics and awful team selection shot us down. 

7 hours ago, Slipmat said:

I know we've discussed how in-house interviews aren't going to be tough on the manager, but it makes me wonder what the point of doing them at all is when we have to wait for nearly 3 minutes into a 5 minute interview before the interviewer actually asks him a question.

Edit to add that my first question after conceding 4 goals wouldn't be "should we be taking more shots" but "do you think we were punished for playing such a high defensive line?".

I agree. Sandra never asks an open ended question and we should ask: what precisely are you going to change to get us out of this, when are Brydon and Church back. Why didn’t you play Houston and Efe along with your apposite questions above. Honestly I’ve interviewed dozens of people on camera in my previous job ( and I’m not a journalist) and this is basic stuff. It looks like a Stasi staged video every week. The bit that got me was that we were ‘fantastic’ for half an hour. Well that’s no good if we lose 4-1…

It's the wee bit at the end where he goes "I will drag this team where it needs to be at the end of the season" that gives me the fear. He obviously won't. He says it with total conviction whilst having no clue how to be a manager. It's just a deluded, self-soothing ramble. It really brought home to me that we probably are about to get relegated.

There needs to be a protest by the Lochfield Road entrance or something at the Kelty game because Bartley remaining in post is vandalism. 

1 minute ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

It's the wee bit at the end where he goes "I will drag this team where it needs to be at the end of the season" that gives me the fear. He obviously won't. He says it with total conviction whilst having no clue how to be a manager. It's just a deluded, self-soothing ramble. It really brought home to me that we probably are about to get relegated.

There needs to be a protest by the Lochfield Road entrance or something at the Kelty game because Bartley remaining in post is vandalism. 

Sadly I think you are right. He is a terrific orator but has zero skill at this level as a football manager, sadly. I like a lot of others was drawn in by the compelling narrative and young, cool, professional look but there is no substance. I don’t think he has a clue how to get us out of this. We are a full time team with a reasonable budget. How are we third bottom? 

20 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Sadly I think you are right. He is a terrific orator but has zero skill at this level as a football manager, sadly. I like a lot of others was drawn in by the compelling narrative and young, cool, professional look but there is no substance. I don’t think he has a clue how to get us out of this. We are a full time team with a reasonable budget. How are we third bottom? 

Don't worry, we won't be third bottom for long.  By Saturday night we'll have lost away to Alloa and Annan will have dispatched Kelty at home so we'll be equal on points with Annan and could well be 9th on goal difference if we capitulate badly at Alloa (entirely possible given the total demotivation of the squad under the guidance of this manager/board).  The week after we go to Accies and we all know what happens there.

It's time to get the post code for Bonnyrigg into the sat navs folks, this is now a L2 club in all but name.

10 hours ago, qos_75 said:

If this team played in the Southern Counties of rhe 80s and 90s they would be scraping along rhe bottom two or three  places.

Lets be honest about it, we could assemble a squad from this thread and beat them nine times aut of ten. The club is shite from top to bottom. 

The fortunes of clubs at our level are always somewhat cyclical, you get your few years in the sun and that's followed by a return to the doldrums before hopefully the cycle turns in your favour again, so it could be argued that this has been coming our way.  I just never thought that the decline would come this fast nor plumet so steeply.  I never thought I'd ever see the levels of garbage that came our way in the Harkness years again, yet here we are and the Harkness levels of shite are about to be challenged in the next few months.  That we don't even have a board (well, OK we apparently do just now but in name only) to take necessary key drastic actions at a time of such deep crisis just totally beggars belief.

7 minutes ago, lyle be back said:

You could argue that the Boatd are failing in their fiduciary duty tbh.

Perhaps in theory, but who is actually going to do anything about it?  They know they won't be challenged.  I'm sure they're not quaking in their boots at the thought.

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

I thought he was a handful last night and unlucky not to score. Our issue lies further back. McKay should never play defensively for us again and Logan a headless chicken. Midfield Ferguson missing again and Cochran has been very poor recently. Until we stop conceding a barrow load of soft goals we are going to win nothing. When we went ahead again last night I just prayed for us to shut up shop but again terrible tactics and awful team selection shot us down. 

We must have been at different games. I thought both Logan and Fergusson played well. 

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

In other words, you fancy him and have given him more credit than he deserves. Even now you can't be objective. He has no oratory skills whatsoever nor have i seen evidence of this supposed intelligence he has over our previous managers. If you actually listen to his interviews, he drones on in a monotone until he gets bored or the interview runs out of time. At the beginning of the season, when his message was positive, i didn't hear any conviction or passion in his voice. It was as if he was reading the ingredients on a pack of biscuits. George Galloway is an example of a talented orator. He could read a list of ingredients and make it sound like poetry. I know i'd switch off if i had to listen to Bartley droning on in training everyday.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Don't worry, we won't be third bottom for long.  By Saturday night we'll have lost away to Alloa and Annan will have dispatched Kelty at home so we'll be equal on points with Annan and could well be 9th on goal difference if we capitulate badly at Alloa (entirely possible given the total demotivation of the squad under the guidance of this manager/board).  The week after we go to Accies and we all know what happens there.

It's time to get the post code for Bonnyrigg into the sat navs folks, this is now a L2 club in all but name.

Not looking great for Bonnyrigg in L2 tbh but you're probably good to just save it for a year or two.