The Queen of the South thread

Aye, a reality is required I think. We're not the draw we perhaps once were. If we were getting the scraps of FT players in the Championship we're hardly going to suddenly get better quality a division below. I'm happy we won't be signing Goss as he's a player I never rated the first time around but he's a proven scorer at this level and one I'd expect us to be trying to attract. That's just where we are right now, sadly. 

13 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Cue extended wailing and gnashing of teeth by the Palmy faithful ... 🤔

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

If we are targeting promotion then the last thing we need is signing a batch of Annan players to mix with last year's flops topped with youth. 

Geezz aim higher..

FWIW, my OP above wasn't intended to be taken literally ... I think the relevant term is "irony" ...

Watching the squads assemble its going to be interesting to compare the level of players being recruited by the FT clubs (ICT, Cove and ourselves I think).  This will give an indication of the sorts of budgets each has and of course at the moment no one knows what will transpire at ICT once the chaos eventually settles down.  Of the three, I still expect Queens to be at the lower end of that particular market.

Of the PT sides, I'm expecting Arbroath, Alloa and Montrose to be the strongest - and I wouldn't be surprised to see Arbroath challenging for the title.

As always, the key for Murphy will be ... can he spot a player within a limited market, how good are his contacts, does he have a clear vision of the make-up of his ideal team, can he use the loan market well and can he build and motivate a cohesive team unit.  Gonna be an interesting month ahead.

19 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Watching the squads assemble its going to be interesting to compare the level of players being recruited by the FT clubs (ICT, Cove and ourselves I think).  This will give an indication of the sorts of budgets each has and of course at the moment no one knows what will transpire at ICT once the chaos eventually settles down.  Of the three, I still expect Queens to be at the lower end of that particular market.

Of the PT sides, I'm expecting Arbroath, Alloa and Montrose to be the strongest - and I wouldn't be surprised to see Arbroath challenging for the title.

As always, the key for Murphy will be ... can he spot a player within a limited market, how good are his contacts, does he have a clear vision of the make-up of his ideal team, can he use the loan market well and can he build and motivate a cohesive team unit.  Gonna be an interesting month ahead.

Murphy will be able to spot a quality player that is the easy part but getting him to sign for us will be  very difficult .

As you say the next month will be crucial Murphy really has a massive job trying to get a squad good enough to challenge at the right end of League 1.

28 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Without 'presuming', I think that (or would expect) his scouting/network will be Northern English based, so will be interesting to see who he can bring in, especially if we continue then to train at Hamilton. He seems to have got stuck straight in with no farting about which is great news so will be an interesting few weeks now that players will be returning from Holidays etc and being offered terms.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Murphy will be able to spot a quality player that is the easy part but getting him to sign for us will be  very difficult .

That's what I meant when I said that he'd have to ... "spot a player within a limited market".  In other words, his ability to offer attractive wages will be limited.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

On your questioning about Murphy the answer is no. Kissed the Blarney Stone.

Just now, annan4eva said:

On your questioning about Murphy the answer is no. Kissed the Blarney Stone.

Any relation to Harry Stone? When it comes to blethering pish he'll be hard pushed to beat you. 

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

As you say the next month will be crucial Murphy really has a massive job trying to get a squad good enough to challenge at the right end of League 1.

What’s our budget this year ? 

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Any relation to Harry Stone? When it comes to blethering pish he'll be hard pushed to beat you. 

You’ll soon see. Not at all bad yersel.

7 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

You’ll soon see. Not at all bad yersel.

Still waiting on you coming back with proof that there's a debate by Queens fans on this thread about who's finishing in the bottom 2 with Annan. Or are you admitting it was pish.

3 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Still waiting on you coming back with proof that there's a debate by Queens fans on this thread about who's finishing in the bottom 2 with Annan. Or are you admitting it was pish.

Don't forget Murphy signed for us because of our budget, apparently. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Don't forget Murphy signed for us because of our budget, apparently. 

That was one reason he gave sure. 

46 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

That was one reason he gave sure. 

So you said. And I'm still waiting for the interview he said it :lol:

I get that we're not exactly flush right now.

However, I still don't get all the talk about how limited our budget must be in these surroundings.  We're one of the biggest clubs in this league.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I get that we're not exactly flush right now.

However, I still don't get all the talk about how limited our budget must be in these surroundings.  We're one of the biggest clubs in this league.

I agree. I find it mental fans are constantly moaning about budgets. We should be aiming for this league next season along with the likes of Arbroath and Inverness. 

Absolutely we should be seeking to win this league next season.  However, financial muscle can't be ignored and in that respect I think that there will be a few clubs in and around the same level ... I think we should be in there with a good shout, but I don't see us being streets ahead of anyone else in terms of financial signing power.  I'm expecting a very close league.

32 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Absolutely we should be seeking to win this league next season.  However, financial muscle can't be ignored and in that respect I think that there will be a few clubs in and around the same level ... I think we should be in there with a good shout, but I don't see us being streets ahead of anyone else in terms of financial signing power.  I'm expecting a very close league.

Yes, but to read the tone of some of what's here, it appears that we're crippled by a miniscule budget that makes it almost impossible to compete at the top end.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that we're enormously wealthy, or that budget isn't important - it overwhelmingly is.  I'm just reacting to the suggestion that we're somehow massively outmuscled in this regard by the little clubs around us.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, but to read the tone of some of what's here, it appears that we're crippled by a miniscule budget that makes it almost impossible to compete at the top end.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that we're enormously wealthy, or that budget isn't important - it overwhelmingly is.  I'm just reacting to the suggestion that we're somehow massively outmuscled in this regard by the little clubs around us.

I don't think we'll be massively outmuscled either, I just don't think there'll be anyone markedly ahead either. Last season nobody was matching the financial wherewithal of Falkirk or Accies - this season should be much more even.