The Queen of the South thread

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If his confidence is shot looking at a football message board then it's an even worse signing than I thought. It was 5 years ago and he's racked up about 12 games since that time. Kind of says it all. Dress it up any way you want, it's an awful signing. Cowie will feature more than him this season, calling it (and praying for it) now.Β 

Unless Cowie is going out on loan again (maybe to a League 2 side) Queens are going to sign a first choice keeper and RossΒ Stewart is back up. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Edited by Artemis

4 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Hadn't heard that!Β  Where's he off to?

No idea tbh. Just been told he hasn't taken the offer.Β 

Β 

1 minute ago, Artemis said:

Unless Cowie is going out on loan again (maybe to a League 2 side) Queens are going to sign a first choice keeper and Ross is back up. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Hopefully! But I would be happy seeing Cowie get his shot.Β 

Posted (edited)

Trying to find even the slightest positive of this signing. The last time he played in this league was with Albion Rovers in 2015/16 and 2016/17 and according to transfermarkt played every league game conceding 44 and 45 goals respectively and keeping 9 clean sheets each time. These numbers don’t seem too bad and I’d assume the defence he had infront of him in these two seasons was much poorer than queens defence will be.Β 

Edited by MazzyStar

5 hours ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

It is Ross Stewart. f**k sake.Β 

Genuinely feel sorry for you all at QOTS.

The absolute worst goalkeeper of all time.Β 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

If his confidence is shot looking at a football message board then it's an even worse signing than I thought. It was 5 years ago and he's racked up about 12 games since that time. Kind of says it all. Dress it up any way you want, it's an awful signing. Cowie will feature more than him this season, calling it (and praying for it) now.Β 

If the average P&B poster got half as much criticism at their work they'd be straight to HR greeting about it.

It seems many of our supporters are waiting to pounce on him the first time he makes an error. Excessive criticism affects decision making and performance. There are studies that show that even skilled surgeons made mistakes when criticized or insulted before performing a routine task. Obviously this is well above the IQ of the average football, but might be worth bearing in mind when willing him to throw the ball back of his own net.

He's never been without a club so he must have something going for him. As has been said, he has a reasonable record at this level.Β  Getting more game time and attention/instruction from the goalkeeping coach should bring him on.

Edited by Terry_Tibbs

2 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

If the average P&B poster got half as much criticism at their work they'd be straight to HR greeting about it.

It seems many of our supporters are waiting to pounce on him the first time he makes an error. Excessive criticism affects decision making and performance. There are studies that show that even skilled surgeons made mistakes when criticized or insulted before performing a routine task. Obviously this is well above the IQ of the average football, but might be worth bearing in mind when willing him to throw the ball back of his own net.

He's never been without a club so he must have something going for him. As has been said, he has a reasonable record at this level.Β  Getting more game time and attention/instruction from the goalkeeping coach should bring him on.

If you're a (shite) footballer, I'd recommend staying off social media tbh. The guy has averaged less than 10 games a season since 2016. That's appalling. I absolutely want him to do well for us but the stats are very much stacked in the "he'll be as shite for us as he has been for the majority of his career". All the positive vibes won't suddenly turn him into a good goalkeeper.Β 

Time will tell, but as I've said I expect either Cowie will take the No 1 spot very early on or we'll be scrambling for a loan signing in January. We are allowed to be disappointed with signings.Β 

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If you're a (shite) footballer, I'd recommend staying off social media tbh. The guy has averaged less than 10 games a season since 2016. That's appalling. I absolutely want him to do well for us but the stats are very much stacked in the "he'll be as shite for us as he has been for the majority of his career". All the positive vibes won't suddenly turn him into a good goalkeeper.Β 

Time will tell, but as I've said I expect either Cowie will take the No 1 spot very early on or we'll be scrambling for a loan signing in January. We are allowed to be disappointed with signings.Β 

He was second/third choice at a higher level since 2016, hence only playing 10 games.Β  As far as i'm concerned, we've signed a League 1 goalkeeper in League 1. That's what i'll be judging him on. That lack of game time probably hasn't helped him but the gaffer thinks there is something to work with.

're Stewart, let's just wait and see how he performs in the pre-season games before judging him for the season ahead.

3 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

He was second/third choice at a higher level since 2016, hence only playing 10 games.Β  As far as i'm concerned, we've signed a League 1 goalkeeper in League 1. That's what i'll be judging him on. That lack of game time probably hasn't helped him but the gaffer thinks there is something to work with.

I genuinely hope you're right. It's hard not to be extremely sceptical mind you. Worst case Cowie gets his shot so that's the positive for me.Β 

To be fair if Stewart was signed as a back-up keeper I'd wouldn't be as concerned.Β  The thing is, apart from his two seasons at Albion he seems to have been a back-up keeper wherever he's been.Β  Take away his Albion stats and he's only made a total of 28 career league appearances (one third of which were in a pretty calamitous spell with us) which is pretty grim for a 29 year old.Β  Yes, he's been at bigger clubs, but as I say he hasn't been signed by any of them as a first choice keeper so it's a bit of a mystery why Murphy thinks he is now ready to do so.

I just hope he's improved since his loan spell here when I seem to recall him flapping about and getting in the way of defenders.

A good chance for Cowie to challenge for a regular start though.Β  Incidentally, by the end of his contract he'll have been a first team squad member for five years.Β  I wonder if he'll be due a testimonial next year despite only having made four league starts for us to date?Β 

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Be surprised if we bring in 3 goalkeepers* if we're running with a squad of 20. Cowie is a year younger than Stone was for the majority of the season so I'm not seeing him as a youth player. If he isn't good enough to feature now (which IMO he is) then he shouldn't have been given a contract.Β 

* Of course this may change in January.Β 

Just concerned he is still injured and not looking likely to return till end Aug/Sept time.

Give Ross Stewart a chance. He did ok in his games for Partick Thistle, contrary to what you might read. I hope it goes well for him and your team.

46 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

No he fucking never.Β 

So, you're not sure then, sitting on the fence kinda thing ...?

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

So, you're not sure then, sitting on the fence kinda thing ...?

Just don’t want to give you guys any false hope. He was abysmal for us, and if you asked 100 Thistle fans if they’d have him back, all 100 would say no.

He might be fine in League One, but there’s a reason that the guy is basically a professional third choice.Β 

12 hours ago, bod said:

're Stewart, let's just wait and see how he performs in the pre-season games before judging him for the season ahead.

No option but to give him a chance. However I saw him in his last spell with us and he was a disaster. The rest of the signings have been excellent but I think Murphy has goofed with this and it may cost us, in points and then having to get someone else in.Β