The Queen of the South thread

Hutchison leaving is the right move for both parties.  Alas, I think we're stuck with Doherty for this season.  Definitely need to do some business up front now and I'm sure the manager/club are working on that aspect behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Disagree. Doherty is a big immobile lump of a player with little goal threat. Hutchison at least had some skill. I agree I would try and offload Doherty though. We look very short of quality at the moment in the wings and upfront. Gibson going was a blow and we need at least one goal scoring forward. 

I'm assuming you're mixing Hutchinson and Doherty up? I'm no fan of Doherty but he can't be described as an immobile lump. The one thing I'll give him credit for is his ability to hold the ball up and for the size of him he's a bit nippy. He just lacks any kind of striker's instinct. 

Hutchinson on the other hand looked exactly how you described Doherty. For a tall guy he was pathetic in the air and I clearly missed the part where he showed he had skill. No surprise to see him fail to score when he went back on loan last season. Hopefully Murphy gets the right forward in next. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm assuming you're mixing Hutchinson and Doherty up? I'm no fan of Doherty but he can't be described as an immobile lump. The one thing I'll give him credit for is his ability to hold the ball up and for the size of him he's a bit nippy. He just lacks any kind of striker's instinct. 

Hutchinson on the other hand looked exactly how you described Doherty. For a tall guy he was pathetic in the air and I clearly missed the part where he showed he had skill. No surprise to see him fail to score when he went back on loan last season. Hopefully Murphy gets the right forward in next. 

Nope I didn’t mix it up. Doherty is a fat useless lump and I agree if we possibly could we should get rid. Hutchison was not fast but at least could take a ball down and had good footwork. Neither actually waz good enough last season. That’s the joy of this board and football. It’s about different opinions. 

7 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Nope I didn’t mix it up. Doherty is a fat useless lump and I agree if we possibly could we should get rid. Hutchison was not fast but at least could take a ball down and had good footwork. Neither actually waz good enough last season. That’s the joy of this board and football. It’s about different opinions. 

I genuinely missed Hutchinson doing anything you described. I wasn't at the Kelty game where he scored, certainly. 

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I genuinely missed Hutchinson doing anything you described. I wasn't at the Kelty game where he scored, certainly. 

I was. I thought there was a player in there and he was also excellent as lone striker at the Falkirk stadium on a poor day for us. I thought he wouldn’t come back but a good pre season was clearly lacking when he was with us. Still the point remains neither were good enough last season. With Doherty his career goal stats are terrible and eyebrows were raised when we signed him. I suspect Bartley thought he could coach something out of him. Look how that worked out. Here hoping Murphy gets in better within the next 3-4 weeks. 

It's probably an academic argument now that Hutchinson has departed but I thought he was miles off the standard required for L1. Letting the player quickly return south last season was one of the few decisions that Bartley got right. Doherty was clearly the better player and in some games looked decent but he was seldom fit and nowadays you cannot compete even at L1 level on a sustained basis if you are not in peak condition. 

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

It's probably an academic argument now that Hutchinson has departed but I thought he was miles off the standard required for L1. Letting the player quickly return south last season was one of the few decisions that Bartley got right. Doherty was clearly the better player and in some games looked decent but he was seldom fit and nowadays you cannot compete even at L1 level on a sustained basis if you are not in peak condition. 

He scored the same number of goals in L1 as the Edinburgh City goalkeeper.

Josh McPake has signed for St Johnstone think he was a signing target for us .

Still plenty of time to get players in would rather wait and try and get quality in than just sign anyone .

On 05/06/2024 at 21:39, Gee locks said:

Inverness won’t go into administration, just an appeal for backing. Would hate to be wrong though, horrible thing to happen to any club (though I must admit it

was fun to watch with a couple of clubs) 

Have you looked at their published accounts?

Aye, read that. if this unnamed player signs it sounds like the end of our interest on trying to get Connelly to re-sign. We can't hang on waiting for players to make up their minds.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Any suggestions as to where Connolly is going? All we need to add is a forward and I think I'd read earlier in the thread he was perhaps going part time? 

You guys have a Maccy Dees and a KFC at that big retail park across from Morrisons IIRC, so you should be well placed to land wee Lee ... 😎

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Any suggestions as to where Connolly is going? All we need to add is a forward and I think I'd read earlier in the thread he was perhaps going part time? 

If he got on well with Andy Graham at the time you'd imagine Alloa would be firm favourites. 

If he stayed I'd be happy enough but if he goes I won't be crying about it. He's scored some terrific goals for us over the years and the boy obviously has talent but the fact he's been floating around down here for so long shows something isn't right. He really should be a regular at a higher level. 

34 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

You guys have a Maccy Dees and a KFC at that big retail park across from Morrisons IIRC, so you should be well placed to land wee Lee ... 😎

This joke flies over my head I'm afraid. Is he fond of some fast food?

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If he got on well with Andy Graham at the time you'd imagine Alloa would be firm favourites. 

If he stayed I'd be happy enough but if he goes I won't be crying about it. He's scored some terrific goals for us over the years and the boy obviously has talent but the fact he's been floating around down here for so long shows something isn't right. He really should be a regular at a higher level. 

Did think Alloa would likely be the shout for him but I'd be surprised if we hadn't spoken to him if he's thinking about going part time. 

I’ve met Connelly a few times and had chats with him, it always came across to me that his attitude was shocking. He’s clearly a player but it’s obviously the reason why we he isn’t playing at the level he should have in the past few years.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

This joke flies over my head I'm afraid. Is he fond of some fast food?

Did think Alloa would likely be the shout for him but I'd be surprised if we hadn't spoken to him if he's thinking about going part time. 

He had a fallout with Bartley last season when he went and bought a KFC and brought it back to the dining room after training instead of having the pre-packed lunch suplied by the club. ( At least that's the story anyway).

On that basis Alloa would be preferable for his as the KFC and McD's are much closer to their ground.