The Queen of the South thread

On 09/07/2024 at 13:08, CM. said:

I agree with Derek Fergusons point on doing more homework on what individuals are like outside of football before going ahead and signing them. 

With two of Bartley's signings (Hutchinson and Raggett) I very much doubt if he had even seem them play, never mind researched their attitudes or what they got up to in their free time.  Both seemed to be signed on the recommendations of his brother, who as far as I am aware has absolutely no knowledge of Scottish football.  The fact he gave Hutchinson a two year deal is beyond belief.

8 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

With two of Bartley's signings (Hutchinson and Raggett) I very much doubt if he had even seem them play, never mind researched their attitudes or what they got up to in their free time.  Both seemed to be signed on the recommendations of his brother, who as far as I am aware has absolutely no knowledge of Scottish football.  The fact he gave Hutchinson a two year deal is beyond belief.

I'm sure Raggett played against EK in the friendly. And at the time I can remember thinking they had got him off the street to make up the numbers as it looked like the first time he had ever set foot on a football pitch. Should have been another massive red flag when he signed him on the back of that performance. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

We were told the same about Innes Cameron... 

Happy enough with the signing. Always expected and wanted a striker on loan at this point. There aren't going to be any free agents the now that are going to be an asset up front. Given Kennedy was used up front the other day I'd probably rather see another CB come in now. 

He's far more direct than Cameron and from what i've seen, more natural in front of goal. 

More Bobby Wales than Cameron. 

Every Manager seems to say they will not sign players just for the sake of it, they have to be a good fit for the club and the team, and have  to have the right attitude,  blah blah. It seems that Bartley hasn't looked too deeply into the habits and attitude of some of the players HE signed. 

50 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Every Manager seems to say they will not sign players just for the sake of it, they have to be a good fit for the club and the team, and have  to have the right attitude,  blah blah. It seems that Bartley hasn't looked too deeply into the habits and attitude of some of the players HE signed

We can only dream of where we would be now if they and the rest had carried out the instructions they were given!

Just now, bod said:

We can only dream of where we would be now if they and the rest had carried out the instructions they were given!

5th, maybe 6th?

I'm not sure it was Bartley not doing his homework, more that he genuinely thought he could change them. 

On the logic that if he changed their attitudes and habits they would become better players. 

Its a nice idea but it clearly didn't work. 

19 hours ago, rubber_duck said:

Is Mumbungo still with Accies or was he released? Given the relatively urgent need for more forwards, could go worse than giving him another chance. 

Obviously since this message was posted you've signed a boy on loan from Kilmarnock however if you are still looking for a striker I think you would be much better trying to go for someone like Joe McGlynn who also seems to of left us even though there's been no conformation on him than what you would be going for Mumbongo. 

1 hour ago, lyle be back said:

Let's hope we get addicted to Craik

It’s going to be a huge jump from youth football to League 1 level, the under 21 sides in the Lowland League don’t exactly set the heather on fire. Why is it our own youths never get a chance, yet we are all expecting someone else’s to do it for us.

11 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

Why is it our own youths never get a chance, yet we are all expecting someone else’s to do it for us.

Maybe because ours generally aren’t good enough and I’m pretty sure Lewis Gibson came from the youths.

If the Killie boy is being linked with Premier teams down south then that would suggest he’s got something about him.

Edited by Dougie Mills

1 hour ago, Bluenortherner said:

It’s going to be a huge jump from youth football to League 1 level, the under 21 sides in the Lowland League don’t exactly set the heather on fire. Why is it our own youths never get a chance, yet we are all expecting someone else’s to do it for us.

Have you taken in many of our reserve games?   

16 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Every Manager seems to say they will not sign players just for the sake of it, they have to be a good fit for the club and the team, and have  to have the right attitude,  blah blah. It seems that Bartley hasn't looked too deeply into the habits and attitude of some of the players HE signed. 

The problem with Bartley as we subsequently found out was that he knew all of the cliches and the in vogue sound bites, the right things to say in front of the cameras - but he didn't actually understand what they meant or how to apply them in practice. He just knew how to talk the talk ...

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

The problem with Bartley as we subsequently found out was that he knew all of the cliches and the in vogue sound bites, the right things to say in front of the cameras - but he didn't actually understand what they meant or how to apply them in practice. He just knew how to talk the talk ...

I'd agree. I bet he came across as great in the interview. All the right answers and probably had a smashing PowerPoint presentation. But always seemed too rigid in his ways. The first few months after he took over were impressive but we never replaced either Kevin Dabrowski or Rhuri Paton for his first full season. Was always going to be harder but he was frustrating as hell. And that's before the playstation stuff. 

Looking forward to the season starting and hopefully things going well under Murphy and we can stop talking about him, whether or not he stops is another thing.

On 10/07/2024 at 20:25, Bluenortherner said:

Hearts B came second in the lowland league last year and Celtic B came sixth. What's your idea of setting the heather on fire for a youth team in a mens league?

Hearts B just scudded Kelty 5-2 on Tuesday. Given you'll be one of if not the lowest paying full time team in Scotland loans should be imperative this summer for you to bring in some quality.

Just look at Wales, Steven and Sutherland's impact at Alloa last season.

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

Less than 2 day until the first competitive game. Must be about time the home strip is getting revealed. 

IMG_3252.jpeg