The Queen of the South thread

How come we got on ok without a target man last season and yet playing in a better league we now seemingly need one?

The type of fotball we played last season would have been fine in this division. The only reason we apparently need new players is because the manager has made the team ineffective.

Replace Clark with Russell and play the same way as last season is all we need to do. And this has been the case since the season started.

I have been thinking about this one . Move Russell away from the wide position and there is no guarantees at all that whoever comes in for him will score goals from a position Iain has been. Therefore we won't be better off goalswise, especially if Russell is not as effective ( goal threat) up front. I would be inclined to keep him there for reason stated and concentrate on getting a striker in. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/doonhamers-sign-amateur-striker/

Little snippet on the SPFL website. He's been signed to the 19s squad, doesn't mention how old he actually is.

He was 17 at the end of October.

EDIT - Just actually clicked the link and see it's a feature story on the SPFL website which explains the sudden interest I suppose. It was on our own website last midweek (on the bottom of the story of Ian McShane signing a new contract) so they are a bit behind.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Would beg to differ.

ES Clydebank played for one season 64/65 after which Shire moved back to Falkirk for 65/66.

Clydebank then played in the reserve league for a couple of years.

Third Lanark went out of business at the end of 66/67 and Clydebank were elected and played the 67/68 season.

Ferranti had one good cup run in the early 70's including a game against Partick at Firhill which I was at with a Thistle supporting mate.

About that time it was decided to bring the numbers in the old second division up to 20 and despite much better claims from Highland League clubs Ferranti were elected. They were essentially just a works team with no fans and so had to change their name and move ground to Meadowbank.

Queens were one of many who voted for them citing easier travel as a reason. Pretty shameful really imo.

It's good but it's not right. Clydebank did indeed play a year of reserve football after being de-coupled from East Stirlingshire, but their first season as a standalone club in Division 2 was 1966/67. Third Lanark were amongst their opponents in what was their final season. Division 2 had actually been uneven with 19 clubs until that season so Clydebank balanced it at 20, before it was almost immediately reduced back to 19 after a year due to Third Lanark going tits up. The league carried on with 19 clubs for 7 seasons until Ferranti were elected for season 1974/75. Interesting aside to the Bankies/Shire thing was that a stand was moved from Firs Park to Kilbowie in 1964. It was all that remained of the merger in the end after the Shire managed to escape from the clutches of the Steedmans.

Art and Music have always had a tendency to breed snobbery. Tell some people that you prefer Lowrie to Van Gogh or R&B to Brahms and they can get very indignant, poo-pooing your preferences and opinions as insignificant and banal.

Judging by some of the posts on this thread it now appears that snobbery has reached the football supporter. Express an opinion that you prefer the more direct approach to get the ball into the opposition's penalty area, either on the ground or in the air, rather than watching it take innumerable passes just to get to the half-way line, and you run the risk of being branded a 1950's throw-back if not an actual troglodyte.

Cue the howls of derision but I confess that watching the likes of BOREcelona tippy-tappying about has me tearing out what little is left of my hair and shouting at the telly for them to "get it forward quicker and try and score some goals". (expletives deleted). Don't get me wrong I can appreciate that they are excellent in what they do, and it is obviously appreciated by many, but for me it is mind numbing if not actually sleep inducing. If both teams are playing this style then it definitely cures my insomnia. Of course there are times when they will rack up a few goals in a game which probably says more about the standard of opposition than it does about their style of play.

Football is a simple game made difficult by over-coaching, baffling tactics and formations that most players probably don't understand, and worrying too much about how the opposition will play. Rubbish! Get the ball into the opposition's penalty area as quickly and as often as possible which will at least give you a chance of scoring goals.

A backward and outdated approach, possibly, and more entertaining in my opinion but probably not refined enough for the football snobs.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Art and Music have always had a tendency to breed snobbery. Tell some people that you prefer Lowrie to Van Gogh or R&B to Brahms and they can get very indignant, poo-pooing your preferences and opinions as insignificant and banal.

Judging by some of the posts on this thread it now appears that snobbery has reached the football supporter. Express an opinion that you prefer the more direct approach to get the ball into the opposition's penalty area, either on the ground or in the air, rather than watching it take innumerable passes just to get to the half-way line, and you run the risk of being branded a 1950's throw-back if not an actual troglodyte.

Cue the howls of derision but I confess that watching the likes of BOREcelona tippy-tappying about has me tearing out what little is left of my hair and shouting at the telly for them to "get it forward quicker and try and score some goals". (expletives deleted). Don't get me wrong I can appreciate that they are excellent in what they do, and it is obviously appreciated by many, but for me it is mind numbing if not actually sleep inducing. If both teams are playing this style then it definitely cures my insomnia. Of course there are times when they will rack up a few goals in a game which probably says more about the standard of opposition than it does about their style of play.

Football is a simple game made difficult by over-coaching, baffling tactics and formations that most players probably don't understand, and worrying too much about how the opposition will play. Rubbish! Get the ball into the opposition's penalty area as quickly and as often as possible which will at least give you a chance of scoring goals.

A backward and outdated approach, possibly, and more entertaining in my opinion but probably not refined enough for the football snobs.

^^^ Idiot found

Youre perfectly entitled to your opinion, but you pretty much blew it with that line.

It's good but it's not right. Clydebank did indeed play a year of reserve football after being de-coupled from East Stirlingshire, but their first season as a standalone club in Division 2 was 1966/67. Third Lanark were amongst their opponents in what was their final season.

Having checked, you are indeed correct. Bankies and Thirds did share one season.

Get the ball into the opposition's penalty area as quickly and as often as possible which will at least give you a chance of scoring goals.

I, for one, am not a snob. Passing the ball is the very basis of playing effective football - end of. Pulis' Stoke City will never be remembered outwith the Potteries, whilst the Brazil and Ajax teams of the 1970s have gone down in history as two of the greatest teams of all time. I don't remember the tactics of either the latter pair to be hoofing it aimlessly up the park.

May I suggest you'd be better off at Park Farm if you want to see that sort of game...?

Dad?

^^^ Idiot found

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. Your opinion is just wrong.

Youre perfectly entitled to your opinion, but you pretty much blew it with that line.

I, for one, am not a snob. Passing the ball is the very basis of playing effective football - end of. Pulis' Stoke City will never be remembered outwith the Potteries, whilst the Brazil and Ajax teams of the 1970s have gone down in history as two of the greatest teams of all time. I don't remember the tactics of either the latter pair to be hoofing it aimlessly up the park.

May I suggest you'd be better off at Park Farm if you want to see that sort of game...?

Dad?

May I first thank you all for your responses, unfortunately it has only reinforced my original belief that there is a rising level of snobbery among football supporters. Dare to express an opinion or a preference that is different to the "Modern Establishment" views of how things should be done and you incur the wrath of those who are intolerant of those opinions.

Of course I realise and grudgingly accept that the kind of football I like to watch is almost, if not already, consigned to history, but that does not mean I have to like without question the style of football that is taking over.

Watching Barcelona and the like playing possession football where, to me, it looks like every player in the team has to have a touch of the ball in every move before an effort is made at goals may be alright in the comfort of an armchair watching on TV but on a cold winters afternoon in some Scottish football ground I want to watch a style of football that is fast tempo and attack minded to get the adrenalin pumping.

My views and needs may be simple and, obviously to some outdated, but I reserve my right to express those views whilst respecting, if not agreeing, with others to express their preferences.

May I first thank you all for your responses, unfortunately it has only reinforced my original belief that there is a rising level of snobbery among football supporters. Dare to express an opinion or a preference that is different to the "Modern Establishment" views of how things should be done and you incur the wrath of those who are intolerant of those opinions.

Of course I realise and grudgingly accept that the kind of football I like to watch is almost, if not already, consigned to history, but that does not mean I have to like without question the style of football that is taking over.

Watching Barcelona and the like playing possession football where, to me, it looks like every player in the team has to have a touch of the ball in every move before an effort is made at goals may be alright in the comfort of an armchair watching on TV but on a cold winters afternoon in some Scottish football ground I want to watch a style of football that is fast tempo and attack minded to get the adrenalin pumping.

My views and needs may be simple and, obviously to some outdated, but I reserve my right to express those views whilst respecting, if not agreeing, with others to express their preferences.

Could you drop it, please, with this "snobs" line? It's pretty disrespectful to all concerned and undermines whatever point you may be trying to make. Just because your opinion flys in the face of current and commonly-held beliefs does not make everyone who contradicts you a "football snob."

Secondly, you may have inadvertently hit the nail on the head by claiming that "on a cold winters afternoon in some Scottish football ground I want to watch a style of football that is fast tempo and attack minded." It's exactly because we play football in this country in the winter - and often on sodden, turnip-field pitches to boot - that teams resort to playing a long-ball game! Barca, Bayern or Arsenal simply couldn't play their brand of football at places like Shielfield, Gayfield or Central Park in January or February - smashing it down the middle is the only option because keeping it on the deck is impossible.

You're bang on when you say you've got a right to express your opinion. Just please do so with counter-arguments and opinions, and not by simply labelling people as "snobs."

Could you drop it, please, with this "snobs" line? It's pretty disrespectful to all concerned and undermines whatever point you may be trying to make. Just because your opinion flys in the face of current and commonly-held beliefs does not make everyone who contradicts you a "football snob."

Secondly, you may have inadvertently hit the nail on the head by claiming that "on a cold winters afternoon in some Scottish football ground I want to watch a style of football that is fast tempo and attack minded." It's exactly because we play football in this country in the winter - and often on sodden, turnip-field pitches to boot - that teams resort to playing a long-ball game! Barca, Bayern or Arsenal simply couldn't play their brand of football at places like Shielfield, Gayfield or Central Park in January or February - smashing it down the middle is the only option because keeping it on the deck is impossible.

You're bang on when you say you've got a right to express your opinion. Just please do so with counter-arguments and opinions, and not by simply labelling people as "snobs."

I fear the irony you point out will be lost on him