The Queen of the South thread

There is a significant financial advantage in getting 3rd over 4th in prize money terms. It's also likely, unless the tie is dead and buried after the first leg, that the weekend gate will be better than a midweek one, particularly in terms of travelling fans.

Is the gate money split for the play-offs?

I was only thinking about on the pitch advantages

Reserves team this afternoon away to Morton

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Antell -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------ Kidd -------------------------------------- Hooper ----------------McCarthy-------------------------Slattery -------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Young ------------------------------------------------------------------

--------D.Smith ------------------------------------Graham -------------------Dzierzawski ------------------A.Smith ---------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Pickard -----------------------------------------------------------------

Subs: Cassidy

Ashton

Scott

Armstrong (GK)

Queens won the game 2-0

Edited by qos8

Didn't know about the prize money difference and good point about the second leg attendance . Still don't think there is an on pitch advantage though .

Don't disagree. I'm not sure at this level that any atmosphere is really intimidating enough to be a major advantage to the home team. Maybe Dundee at a packed Dens?

Is the gate money split for the play-offs?

I was only thinking about on the pitch advantages

It's split between the home club and the SPFL who take half of it apparently. The away club get nothing.

Granted given you only get half the gate, the difference in which leg is on the Saturday is partly offset. Still half of a bigger number is still bigger than half of a smaller one!

Reserves team this afternoon away to Morton

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Antell -----------------------------------------------------------------

------------ Kidd -------------------------------------- Hooper ----------------McCarthy-------------------------Slattery -------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Young ------------------------------------------------------------------

--------D.Smith ------------------------------------Graham -------------------Dzierzawski ------------------A.Smith ---------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Pickard -----------------------------------------------------------------

Subs: Cassidy

Ashton

Scott

Reasonably strong starting eleven for one of our reserve games which are often just fulfilled by the 19's. Seven first team squad members in that, albeit Kidd, Slattery, Hooper and Smith are yet to actually get on the pitch this season.

Don't disagree. I'm not sure at this level that any atmosphere is really intimidating enough to be a major advantage to the home team. Maybe Dundee at a packed Dens?

It's split between the home club and the SPFL who take half of it apparently. The away club get nothing.

Granted given you only get half the gate, the difference in which leg is on the Saturday is partly offset. Still half of a bigger number is still bigger than half of a smaller one!

Reasonably strong starting eleven for one of our reserve games which are often just fulfilled by the 19's. Seven first team squad members in that, albeit Kidd, Slattery, Hooper and Smith are yet to actually get on the pitch this season.

A packed Dens would be intimidating but so could a big stand full of Falkirk fans whether first or second leg . I don't know if the ref was swayed to make that joke decision against us or if it was all of his own accord.

To quote JRSLEFYPEG from the mad site.

"Can't see us slipping up here . Cowdenbeath were really unfortunate not to beat us last time here but we were struggling and this will be a different game .If it wasn't for the unlucky 10 man defeat against Dundee and daylight robbery versus Falkirk then our record over four months or so would be outstanding . We haven't leathered anyone this season and it could be a difficult afternoon for the Fifers . We should win and continue our fine form . The catalyst of our improving form has been getting Zander Clark in goal on loan . He has been outstanding and a real rock at the back ably assisted by our back four . It would be marvellous to get him in permanent but don't think this will happen .. I can see his game time at Palmerston being the springboard for him to be a SPL regular like Robbie Neilson and Jaime McDonald before .These two also really benefited from their spells here . Queens seem to have got better as the season goes on and still stick by my prediction that we will be at home first leg to Falkirk in the play offs on May 6 or 7th"

I would agree with this and dd that this timing coincides with changing to a 4-4-2 formation with Reilly getting more game time has also helped transform our results and performances. Why it took McIntyre so long to realise certain things is beyond me. I just hope our slow start doesn't cost us at the end of the season. Just think where we could be.

Edited to say, Jim did well when he stood in for Zander while he was injured.

Having checked back it is also noticeable that McShane also started getting more regular game time around then and he has certainly got better the more he has played.

There is a significant financial advantage in getting 3rd over 4th in prize money terms. It's also likely, unless the tie is dead and buried after the first leg, that the weekend gate will be better than a midweek one, particularly in terms of travelling fans.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/aberdeen/214573-what-the-new-scottish-league-financial-model-means-for-your-clubs-finances/

Hope this works

Slattery has actually appeared as a sub this season but cannot for the life of me think who it was against.

Eta . It was against Airdrie appearing as a sub in the 84th minute

Edited by Broony88

Not as far as I know. It never did in the SFL playoffs anyway. Not aware that its changed.

All play-offs are simply aggregate score, the old sfl ones, the premiership ones and also the entry to the spfl ones that come in next season.

Interestingly it seems that for the premiership play-offs(but not the other ones ) the league take half the gate reciepts, not a exactly a small sone.

I nice easy one for the stattos; when did we last play in the top division?

Queens were relegated from the top fight at the end of 63/64.

I started supporting in season 64/65 :(

Impeccable timing?

So not quite a once in a lifetime opportunity, but still something that hasn't happened for over half a century. And people would rather sacrifice it for a couple of games against The Rangers. Depressing.

Are there really people thinking like that? Sure enough Rangers and Hearts will bring a couple of decent crowds but so would Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, Killie, Motherwell etc etc if we somehow managed to go up. I know I'd rather see my team in the top flight!

Unfortunately there are quite a few people thinking like that on the Unofficial Facebook page.

Aside from the weak financial argument a few are citing that we're not ready as a reason. Although I tend to agree, and as a result I don't actually think we will go up, if we did somehow make it I wouldn't be complaining.

I'd prefer finishing bottom with a record low points total than having to share a division with the despicable mob from Govan. The fact some people are positively moist about the prospect deeply saddens me.