The Queen of the South thread

The chances of a fourth placed team (us) battling through four extremely tough games to then beat a fresh SPL team - that have had their feet up - is slim to say the least. I believe we will finish fourth , failing in the play offs but will enjoy anyway.

I don't think we will be promoted either. My comment was with regard to SD's table that showed us as being the form team in the league.

If that continues we would give ourselves a fighting chance at succeeding in the playoffs. Particularly against a Premiership team that is in the habit of losing.

We would of course have to get by two other form teams in the league to even reach that stage. It is very much a very big 'if'. I would give whoever finishes 2nd a strong shout in going up though.

I don't think we will be promoted either. My comment was with regard to SD's table that showed us as being the form team in the league.

If that continues we would give ourselves a fighting chance at succeeding in the playoffs. Particularly against a Premiership team that is in the habit of losing.

We would of course have to get by two other form teams in the league to even reach that stage. It is very much a very big 'if'. I would give whoever finishes 2nd a strong shout in going up though.

Yeh, at least it is a chance . The SPL teams only agreed to this strange play off format because they are very much in the driving seat , banking on the opposing team being tired and possibly carrying knocks/ disciplinary problems into the two games.

They do have to play extra league games though JR. I'm just happy we've finally got a playoff, although I don't see what's wrong with the traditional 2nd vs 11th. I don't really think finishing 4th in a 10 team league really qualifies you for being in with a shout for promotion. I won't say no to the extra excitement and revenue a potential playoff will raise for us though.

For any given 2nd tier side in the play- offs the odds are clearly against, but the chances of more than one such side moving upwards are of course infinitely better this year than they've been for a generation.

Barring a dip in form, it's now looking fairly likely that we might get Falkirk in such an initial contest. Getting above them would net us more prize money and allow us to face them at home in the second leg at the weekend.

I'm trying not to get too presumptuous - we were far from impressive today and are equally far from secure in a play-off place. I do think it's worth looking upwards though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

In McIntyre we trust.

Some of us had faith in the manager.

We aimed for 4th as a realistic prospect for a newly promoted team.

McIntyre has delivered.

The tedious detractors should eat some humble pie.

You know who you are.

In McIntyre we trust.

Some of us had faith in the manager.

We aimed for 4th as a realistic prospect for a newly promoted team.

McIntyre has delivered.

The tedious detractors should eat some humble pie.

You know who you are.

Fourth was the least we should have hoped for, given the strength of our squad.

Anything less would have represented abject failure.

As Bobby Jones once said, you don't praise a man for not robbing a bank.

McIntyre detractor #1 here

Firstly delighted to win ugly and get 3 points today and cheered players in way out for it

1. We haven't got 4th yet

2. At least 4 people round about me were moaning about the poor fare vs second bottom

3. Standard of finishing shows we need a goal scorer

4. Defence , McShane and Reilly were excellent today but rest were gutter

Fourth was the least we should have hoped for, given the strength of our squad.

Anything less would have represented abject failure.

As Bobby Jones once said, you don't praise a man for not robbing a bank.

Youre a hard man to please! I wonder if youre opinion would have been the same had Johnston still been manager and we were in the same position

Had Johnston still been manager, we'd be alongside Dundee and Hamilton.

Pure conjecture. McIntyre has us as the form team through four months of the season. While Johnston may have started better with a more settled side, theres absolutely nothing to suggest he could have produced that kind of form over that long a period

McIntyre detractor #1 here

Firstly delighted to win ugly and get 3 points today and cheered players in way out for it

1. We haven't got 4th yet

2. At least 4 people round about me were moaning about the poor fare vs second bottom

3. Standard of finishing shows we need a goal scorer

4. Defence , McShane and Reilly were excellent today but rest were gutter

It wasnt the greatest of games, but we created chances and won the game. Perhaps some people need to lower their expectations.

Pretty much every fan has been saying we need a goal scorer all season.

Burns was nowhere near "gutter", neither were Lyle or Paton when they came on, although the players they replaced didnt have great games. Hardly unusual for a few players in the side to have off days, although with Russell it is become more and more concerning how often his "off days" are

Pure conjecture. McIntyre has us as the form team through four months of the season. While Johnston may have started better with a more settled side, theres absolutely nothing to suggest he could have produced that kind of form over that long a period

And rather less to suggest he couldn't.

Of course it can only be conjecture. I don't even hold Johnston up as some genius who can do no wrong. Managing is an inexact science and certain elements, not all of which were his doing, conspired to enable his success last year. I've no doubt that the club's then circumstances meant that he benefited from a tail wind.

The reality is however that by accident or design, he had a strong squad that was destined to also do well at this level, if allowed to.

I honestly believe that our recent form should actually work against McIntyre in any assessment of his performance, rather than for him.

His job's been easy and he's spent much of his tenure thus far, making an arse of it.

And rather less to suggest he couldn't.

Of course it can only be conjecture. I don't even hold Johnston up as some genius who can do no wrong. Managing is an inexact science and certain elements, not all of which were his doing, conspired to enable his success last year. I've no doubt that the club's then circumstances meant that he benefited from a tail wind.

The reality is however that by accident or design, he had a strong squad that was destined to also do well at this level, if allowed to.

I honestly believe that our recent form should actually work against McIntyre in any assessment of his performance, rather than for him.

His job's been easy and he's spent much of his tenure thus far, making an arse of it.

Really? What evidence is that then?

How is meeting expectations "making an arse of it"?