The Queen of the South thread

Certainly looked a better player at the start of the season than McShane did, just let down by some defensive frailties (lightweight and perhaps not tracking back as much as needed). But whilst McShane was given game time to improve (and he did), Dzierzawski was dropped rather harshly (considering McShane's early season performances) and has hardly featured since.

Find it a bit unfair that McIntyre didn't give him the time to allow him to fully adapt to the Scottish game. Looked as if he had bags of potential and could've been a creative midfielder in a solid but unimaginative team.

Dzierzawski has shown promise, particularly in pre-season and the cup game against Hearts but he's struggled to get to grips with the pace of the game and has struggled to make any kind of impact in the league. Understandably, he's also a bit naive defensively.

I'd keep him next season to see if, with a bit more experience, he can show that early promise again but there was absolutely nothing harsh in him being dropped.

Dzierzawski has shown promise, particularly in pre-season and the cup game against Hearts but he's struggled to get to grips with the pace of the game and has struggled to make any kind of impact in the league. Understandably, he's also a bit naive defensively.

I'd keep him next season to see if, with a bit more experience, he can show that early promise again but there was absolutely nothing harsh in him being dropped.

Only found it harsh as arguably McShane was the poorer player during that period and Dzierzawski was the one that was dropped. Doesn't mean that he didn't deserve to be dropped, just found it a little unjust that he was dropped and McShane wasn't.

Could argue that it's justified now with McShane's performances improving but can't help but feel that Dzierzawski could turn out to be a missed opportunity. It's all dependent on how he'd develop if given the game time though. Certainly has the vision and technique to play a good ball.

For anyone who may be interested Queens U19's play Celtic at Palmerston this afternoon with a 2pm ko.

Queens lost 3-1 after the game stood at 0-0 at half time with a team that included first team squad members Calum Antell, Pat Slattery, Aidan Smith, Scott Hooper & Craig Neill.

Only found it harsh as arguably McShane was the poorer player during that period and Dzierzawski was the one that was dropped. Doesn't mean that he didn't deserve to be dropped, just found it a little unjust that he was dropped and McShane wasn't.

Could argue that it's justified now with McShane's performances improving but can't help but feel that Dzierzawski could turn out to be a missed opportunity. It's all dependent on how he'd develop if given the game time though. Certainly has the vision and technique to play a good ball.

Except McShane was dropped - for the league game against Hamilton, the week after the cup win. He returned to the team, at Dzierzawskis expense and has kept his place since.

Had you said to me after pre-season that McShane would have been a regular in the side ahead of Dzierzawksi I would have laughed at the prospect. However, given their performances this season, McShane is clearly in the team on merit.

ETA - actually, McShane hasnt kept his place since then, I was wrong. Dzierzawski came back into the team and played three games over Christmas and New Year ahead of McShane. Neither started in the early Jan victory over Alloa before McShane returned to the team the following week.

Edited by Mr X

Except McShane was dropped - for the league game against Hamilton, the week after the cup win. He returned to the team, at Dzierzawskis expense and has kept his place since.

Had you said to me after pre-season that McShane would have been a regular in the side ahead of Dzierzawksi I would have laughed at the prospect. However, given their performances this season, McShane is clearly in the team on merit.

ETA - actually, McShane hasnt kept his place since then, I was wrong. Dzierzawski came back into the team and played three games over Christmas and New Year ahead of McShane. Neither started in the early Jan victory over Alloa before McShane returned to the team the following week.

Could still say that McShane had the more game time over the period before Christmas whilst Dzierzawski was reduced to sub appearances and the odd start, despite McShane putting in some particularly poor efforts. Granted, Dzierzawski didn't do much of note in those early games of which he started, but then again neither did McShane.

Admittedly I did miss the Livingston, Cowdenbeath and Hamilton games over Christmas in which Dzierzawski started all three so maybe he was particularly poor in those games and I missed it. If so it's a reasonable explanation as to why McShane has been favoured heavily over him since, in conjunction with an increase in consistency and performance.

Back to the original post, can we expect to see him feature again for Queens this season? If he wasn't to appear again I'd expect him to maybe leave on loan over the Summer (believe he's on a 2 year contract), especially if McIntyre doesn't rate him.

Edited by Chupacabra

Could still say that McShane had the more game time over the period before Christmas whilst Dzierzawski was reduced to sub appearances and the odd start, despite McShane putting in some particularly poor efforts. Granted, Dzierzawski didn't do much of note in those early games of which he started, but then again neither did McShane.

Admittedly I did miss the Livingston, Cowdenbeath and Hamilton games over Christmas in which Dzierzawski started all three so maybe he was particularly poor in those games and I missed it. If so it's a reasonable explanation as to why McShane has been favoured heavily over him since, in conjunction with an increase in consistency and performance.

Back to the original post, can we expect to see him feature again for Queens this season? If he wasn't to appear again I'd expect him to maybe leave on loan over the Summer (believe he's on a 2 year contract), especially if McIntyre doesn't rate him.

Dzierzawski has started 11 games, McShane 25. If you take out the last 10 games, which is McShanes "run", if you like. That makes 11 v 15 over the rest of the season. I dont think you can really say McShane has been given any preferential treatment or significantly more chances.

Certainly in October/November both were regularly starting games

Guest TOPFITTER

Dzierzawski has started 11 games, McShane 25. If you take out the last 10 games, which is McShanes "run", if you like. That makes 11 v 15 over the rest of the season. I dont think you can really say McShane has been given any preferential treatment or significantly more chances.

11 v 15 in my book is a significant difference 36.36%, however if it is not to you try this,,,you give me £100 I give you £64 back,,,,, ;)

To the main point though McShane IMO took his chances better and has progressed, it's life and football, Win Some Lose Some !!!!!

11 v 15 in my book is a significant difference 36.36%, however if it is not to you try this,,,you give me £100 I give you £64 back,,,,, ;)

To the main point though McShane IMO took his chances better and has progressed, it's life and football, Win Some Lose Some !!!!!

Those four games only represent 10% of the season so far though ;) Statistically, you could say there is a significant difference but, as you say, the point is that both players had chances and McShane simply took his where Dzierzawski didnt. Theres nothing to suggest that McShane was "favoured" or Dzierzawski "harshly" dropped.

Going by your figures then (cba looking them up myself anymore), pre-Christmas McShane had started 15 games and Dzierzawski 8. This despite McShane putting in some very poor performances, including the Cowden game in which you were very highly critical of him.

Dzierzawski on the other hand had been pretty uninspiring but still relatively tidy in possession. So why almost double the starts for McShane, despite being noticeably worse in that period?

Edited by Chupacabra

Going by your figures then (cba looking them up myself anymore), pre-Christmas McShane had started 15 games and Dzierzawski 8. This despite McShane putting in some very poor performances, including the Cowden game in which you were very highly critical of him.

Dzierzawski on the other hand had been pretty uninspiring but still relatively tidy in possession. So why almost double the starts for McShane, despite being noticeably worse in that period?

Maybe because he wasnt "noticeably worse"? If McShane is so favoured, why was he dropped for the games over Christmas? At the end of the day, both had a, relatively, similar number of games in the first team before McShane became a regular starter and Dzierzawski didnt.

I probably did give McShane a hard time after the Cowden game, I dont remember. Very impressed you do :lol:

Maybe because he wasnt "noticeably worse"? If McShane is so favoured, why was he dropped for the games over Christmas? At the end of the day, both had a, relatively, similar number of games in the first team before McShane became a regular starter and Dzierzawski didnt.

I probably did give McShane a hard time after the Cowden game, I dont remember. Very impressed you do :lol:

I only remember it as I don't often post on this site. I remember arguing that McShane was only a slightly lesser player than McKenna technically in his position and provided good cover. You were horrified by that statement and so began a tedious argument. Probably a fifth of my posts so far were done on that thread :P

Anyway I'll concede that if Dzierzawski doesn't make another competitive appearance for Queens it'll be a waste of his talent. Clearly has an eye for a pass and I don't think McIntyre has allowed him to develop like he did McShane (4 more starts in the period before McShane's run of games is still significant, equates to about a whole month of starts).

Edited by Chupacabra

I only remember it as I don't often post on this site. I remember arguing that McShane was only a slightly lesser player than McKenna technically in his position and provided good cover. You were horrified by that statement and so began a tedious argument. Probably a fifth of my posts so far were done on that thread :P

Anyway I'll concede that if Dzierzawski doesn't make another competitive appearance for Queens it'll be a waste of his talent. Clearly has an eye for a pass and I don't think McIntyre has allowed him to develop like he did McShane (5 more starts in the period before McShane's run of games is still significant, equates to about a whole month of starts).

Im still horrified at that statement :P As well as McShane has done lately, he's a long way off being as good as McKenna.

I was a big fan of Dzierzawskis early on (and not so much of McShanes, although I dont think anyone noticed) and I hope he does get some more game time next season to see if he can develop into a decent player at this level, which I think he can. McShane is doing a lot better than I thought he would, but he too has work to do

McShane like others have come on leaps and bounds since Christmas, he fully deserves to start. It's amazing what regular starts and game time can do to the individual's performances.

We could find ourselves in 5th place after Saturdays games if results go against us. Dumbarton play their game in hand against Morton on tues night and play Alloa at home on sat where as we don't have a game as Raith play in the final on Sunday.......it would take a fair swing in goal diff for this to happen though!

It would require Dumbarton to win their two games by an 11 goal margin in total. It's got about the same chance of happening as me being elected the next Pope!

There's every chance they'll be on the same points though. I'd be delighted if they dropped some points in those two games somewhere.

Im still horrified at that statement :P As well as McShane has done lately, he's a long way off being as good as McKenna.

I was a big fan of Dzierzawskis early on (and not so much of McShanes, although I dont think anyone noticed) and I hope he does get some more game time next season to see if he can develop into a decent player at this level, which I think he can. McShane is doing a lot better than I thought he would, but he too has work to do

Agreed. For me Dzierzawski has been a massive disappointment, maybe i held out to much hope for him after the friendlies where i thought he was really impressive. Like you say maybe next season, he'll kick on but i don't think he'll be here. Watched him versus Annan reserves and didn't even know he was playing, so poor, Graham beside him had a much better game. McShane has been a major plus point in the last 5 or 6 games, I really was not a fan but he's knuckled down massively and now puts in a shift, and playing really well. Probably better than Kerr the last 2. With the number of centre mids we have at the moment i think 'the yank' and Derek Young will probably be away at end of season. Can't really see us bringing any in either still be well covered if they two go.

Be interesting summer I think.

It would require Dumbarton to win their two games by an 11 goal margin in total. It's got about the same chance of happening as me being elected the next Pope!

There's every chance they'll be on the same points though. I'd be delighted if they dropped some points in those two games somewhere.

Bookmarked Your Holiness! :-P