The Queen of the South thread

I think thats a very fair point. Johntson would probably have stuck with the same team at the start of the season - although who knows who we would have ended up with in goals - and that might well have meant a better start, but theres no reason to assume he could have continued last seasons form right through this season. Theres also no reason to assume he would have been able to replicate the form McIntyre has achieved over the last few months.

I think there's pretty good reason to assume he'd have got at least as much out of these players as has McIntyre.

Cammy' s right though - the relevant comparison is not between Johnston and McIntyre; it's between what McIntyre's done and what any sensible person in his position would have done.

I'm not really trying to compare what McIntyre has done against what Johnston would've because that is impossible.

I'm assessing McIntyre and what he has done, against what he should have.

That is possible, and it's clear he ballsed up at the start of the season and it's cost us.

This.

Don't think there will be many at the game. I'm against testimonials and think they should be scrapped in this modern era.

Modern era players who make such an impact at one club like Burnsy has should be lauded not having their big day scrapped. But when 853 people are turning up I tend to agree.

I'm not really trying to compare what McIntyre has done against what Johnston would've because that is impossible.

I'm assessing McIntyre and what he has done, against what he should have.

That is possible, and it's clear he ballsed up at the start of the season and it's cost us.

Ok. So, if we agree that McIntyre is due criticism for the under-performance early in the season - the reasons for it and the extent of it are open to debate but I think most would disagree with at least some of his decision - why, then, are there people unwilling/unable to give him any credit for the run since? Thats the bit I dont get. Its not like our form has been mid-table level, we've been top, or thereabouts, of the form league for several months. I dont understand why, for some, this isnt good enough.

I would say its our inability to take enough points off the three teams above us that has "cost us" this season, more than anything else.

Guest TOPFITTER

Yep tens of thousands, the difference between finishing fourth and higher up the league.

Guess that's that argument won then, don't see how it can credibly be discredited.

McIntyre is getting plenty of credit for our current form. Assuming we keep it up, and there's no reason why we won't, I genuinely believe we can at least get into the second stage of the playoffs.

Performing as we are just strengthens the image in my head of Jim Bowen telling us "here's what you could've won".

He's going the right way for winning me over at least.

Chisholm made a bigger mess with a far more talented squad, and blew our only chance at European glory by opting not to play our greatest ever player.

Now that is unforgivable.

McIntyre is getting plenty of credit for our current form. Assuming we keep it up, and there's no reason why we won't, I genuinely believe we can at least get into the second stage of the playoffs.

Performing as we are just strengthens the image in my head of Jim Bowen telling us "here's what you could've won".

Chisholm made a bigger mess with a far more talented squad, and blew our only chance at European glory by opting not to play our greatest ever player.

"winning you over ". Come on Cammy , you are going soft my man.

Not from some he isnt.

As Ewan pointed out earlier, its not as simple as saying we could have been playing like this all season

I'm prepared for a slagging here, but I thought this afternoon was a piece of nonsense.

Firstly, I'll get out of the way the stuff most Queens fans will agree on:

Burns deserved today and although the crowd wasn't huge, he deserves the several thousand pounds it will have earned him. It was also indicative of the high regard in which he's held that so many returned, some from distance and from other pressing football priorities. I also recognise that a day like this one should rightly be dedicated to fun, with any competitive element coming a distinct second.

However, it went too far in my view. Dobbie and Harris were here as the star turns of that side and while nobody expected or wanted to see them operating at full throttle, the 5 seconds they appeared for was cynical and frankly insulting. Of course their clubs need them and would grant permission for participation today only on certain assurances, but that amounted to duping the fans.

The game itself also bugged me. Watching McCabe walk through to score seemed to tickle plenty, but there's a balance to be struck between watching a football match and watching 'A Shot At Glory'. I thought the balance was missed today.

Good luck to Paul Burns - a guy who deserves to be honoured and rewarded for what he's done fot this club. I wish the fans that showed up this afternoon had been better rewarded for their presence though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Enjoyed today's testimonial really good to see Dobbie & Harris wearing queens colours again, even if it was only for seconds.

Burns had a good turn out (873) in a day of such bad weather.

Ok it wasn't a capacity crowd or anything but it did beat all attendances in the two lower leagues in Scotland bar the Dunfermline match.

the Dumbarton v Alloa game had only 600 odd in a championship match.

The game was played in a fantastic spirit it was good to see almost the whole squad in attendance.

Monkey Tennis what did you expect to get out of the match?

I'm prepared for a slagging here, but I thought this afternoon was a piece of nonsense.

Firstly, I'll get out of the way the stuff most Queens fans will agree on:

Burns deserved today and although the crowd wasn't huge, he deserves the several thousand pounds it will have earned him. It was also indicative of the high regard in which he's held that so many returned, some from distance and from other pressing football priorities. I also recognise that a day like this one should rightly be dedicated to fun, with any competitive element coming a distinct second.

However, it went too far in my view. Dobbie and Harris were here as the star turns of that side and while nobody expected or wanted to see them operating at full throttle, the 5 seconds they appeared for was cynical and frankly insulting. Of course their clubs need them and would grant permission for participation today only on certain assurances, but that amounted to duping the fans.

The game itself also bugged me. Watching McCabe walk through to score seemed to tickle plenty, but there's a balance to be struck between watching a football match and watching 'A Shot At Glory'. I thought the balance was missed today.

Good luck to Paul Burns - a guy who deserves to be honoured and rewarded for what he's done fot this club. I wish the fans that showed up this afternoon had been better rewarded for their presence though.

Each to his/her view but IMHO somewhat sad.