The Queen of the South thread

Signing these "last hurrah" kind of players has had mixed outcomes in the past. Allan Johnston, Brian McLaughlin, Stuart Lovell, Stevie Tosh, Brian Reid, Andy Goram, Barry Wilson and Neil MacFarlane were all marquee signings who could be considered past there best when signed, succeeded and at times excelled with the club.

Tell me about Goram excelling in a Queens shirt. My memory is clearly playing up.

Haven't you heard?

The place is rife with them. Rife!

It always is!

I just couldnt think of what kind of rumour there could be about tickets.

Signing someone over 30 who used to be really good on big wages for one last hurrah is a transfer policy that is a distinctly Rangers thing to do and copying their model of player recruitment and financial structure isn't something I'd recommend.

Personally I've always thought Cuthbert was a good goalkeeper although he isn't as agile as Lee he's pretty solid and dependable (apart from that goal in the first leg of the playoffs) I guess around similar for this. I also rate Zander better than Lee as he is more commanding and a lot of potential to get better. He has a bright future if he avoids injury.

There isnt much in it, for me, between Robinson and Clark. Im not counting Zanders potential, as his future isnt going to be with Queens, unfortunately.

None of those are comparable to McFadden in the slightest way, not to mention bringing Neil Macfarlane (wrongly) into support your argument is an unforgivable sin. The impact of his wages bringing a little more season tickets wouldn't be viable (unless he was willing to drop his wages) and be a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere on something we need. Those players were available at an affordable wage and fitted in the coaches plans rather than for purely "generating an interest."

They are comparable in the sense that they were high wage risks on older players coming to the end of their career- much like Faddy. It goes without saying that wherever Faddy ends up his wage will be decreased dramatically due to his stock falling after an injury ravaged season at Motherwell. I refuse to believe for a second that any Queens fan wouldn't be excited by him coming and my view is this could be our chance in a lifetime to get players we couldn't normally get as the championship will unlikely have the same prestige ever again. Sure it would be easy to play it safe and accept mediocrity with the squad we currently have, but I would like to see us try and compete for a playoff spot, which if we kept the same squad would be highly unlikely as things stand.

They are comparable in the sense that they were high wage risks on older players coming to the end of their career- much like Faddy. It goes without saying that wherever Faddy ends up his wage will be decreased dramatically due to his stock falling after an injury ravaged season at Motherwell. I refuse to believe for a second that any Queens fan wouldn't be excited by him coming and my view is this could be our chance in a lifetime to get players we couldn't normally get as the championship will unlikely have the same prestige ever again. Sure it would be easy to play it safe and accept mediocrity with the squad we currently have, but I would like to see us try and compete for a playoff spot, which if we kept the same squad would be highly unlikely as things stand.

Is it? Obviously, a lot will depend on the players other teams bring in but our squad is stronger than last seasons (presuming we get a competent keeper during the summer), arguably a lot stronger than the squad that started last season.

Falkirk have already lost a couple of their best players and seem likely to lose Loy too. I dont see any reason why we shouldnt be able to compete with them for fourth spot, along with Dumbarton unless Murray jumps ship.

Is it? Obviously, a lot will depend on the players other teams bring in but our squad is stronger than last seasons (presuming we get a competent keeper during the summer), arguably a lot stronger than the squad that started last season.

Falkirk have already lost a couple of their best players and seem likely to lose Loy too. I dont see any reason why we shouldnt be able to compete with them for fourth spot, along with Dumbarton unless Murray jumps ship.

Our squad is far better compared to the start of last seasons but the league is now miles better with the addition of 3 top teams. Falkirk still finished comfortably ahead of us and I would reckon they are still better than us so with this in mind the best we could hope for is 5th. If Loy leaves that does give us more hope though. I know right now Hibs barely have a squad, but you would imagine come august they will have a bigger and better squad. Raith are being fairly active and as you say Dumbarton will be decent with Murray in charge. However I feel they will be in the same boat as us and will be around mid table.

Edited by football maniac

Our squad is far better compared to the start of last seasons but the league is now miles better with the addition of 3 top teams. Falkirk still finished comfortably ahead of us and I would reckon they are still better than us so with this in mind the best we could hope for is 5th. If Loy leaves that does give us more hope though. I know right now Hibs barely have a squad, but you would imagine come august they will have a bigger and better squad. Raith are being fairly active and as you say Dumbarton will be decent with Murray in charge. However I feel they will be in the same boat as us and will be around mid table.

I think we will be a lot closer to Falkirk this season, in terms of strength, if they lose Loy.

A lot will come down to how strong the top 3 are. Our record against the top 3 last season was very poor, but we still managed to finish fourth. If the top 3 are stronger next year they will take more points off the likes of Falkirk and Dumbarton. I think that will put us much closer to challenging those two for fourth

Guest TOPFITTER

One QUEENS fan here who wouldn't be excited, mildy interested at best ;)

Two weeks left to join the Queens Trust if you want to be in with a chance of winning one of the 5 season tickets we have on offer!

Please help us to continue the Trust by joining. Members are vital!

Thanks to those that have been in touch already to rejoin and the good number of new members.

Please follow link below for further info.

http://queenstrust.org/?p=396

Edited by JTulip

It was me. His contract at Raith was only to the summer and he was never going to stay as he has another club set up. I really can't say anymore than that as it's not my place.

People who've known me on P&B, QOS mad and the prior message boards will know that I'm not one to talk shite or create a made up rumour. Time will reveal his destination!

I remember you had some sort of link with Robinson but can't quite remember what.