Forwards

John Baird (28)

Derek Lyle (33)

Gavin Reilly (21)

Iain Russell (31)

Aidan Smith (17)

Dean Smith (18)

Ages at 1st August 2014

Updated Queen of the South squad following the new signings of John Baird and Lewis Kidd. Clearly it's short a goalkeeper too which will be Zander Clark most likely.

A few of the players positions are debatable. Kidd can also play right back. Russell spent most of last season on the left side of either a three man attack or a four man midfield. Carmichael and Paton might also be considered "attackers" potentially. Hooper and the two Smith's are senior apprentices and members of the first team squad but neither Smith has yet got on the pitch competitively and Hooper only has an appearance against Cowdenbeath in the last game when we fielded a virtual second eleven.

Reasonably young squad over the piece with only five players over 30 when the season starts, and Derek Lyle the oldest player at 33 now that Derek Young and Ryan McGuffie have departed from last year's squad. Average age of the squad is 24.4 as it stands and the likely addition of Clark will just reduce the average. Removing the three apprentices takes the average up a little to 25.4.

Russell should be down as a midfielder. Like it or not he only played up top last season when we had injuries, I don't expect to see him up top this season.

Gerry McCabe has left the club to take up a new role as Paul Hartley's assistant at Dundee.

http://www.qosfc.com/new_newsview.aspx?newsid=2357

Sorry to see this, Cabey looked to be the calming influence of the team, who's the smart money on as his replacement?

The squad retention over the past couple of years has been to an extent generally unheard of at this level. It's definitely a good thing. Although it would be nice to have a few "wonderkids" going up a few levels for 6-figure fees as has happened to a few clubs in this Division, there is a lot to be said for having a squad of Championship-standard, solid performers. Particularly next season when 4th is the realistic peak of our ambitions.

I spent a lot of last season concerned that we'd see a massive overhaul this Summer as McIntyre put his own stamp on the team. It appeared he didn't rate some of our best players, and I expected the likes of Durnan and Holt to leave for pastures new and a manager who rated them.

As it's turned out, he is largely on the same wavelength as the majority of fans. He's a tough man to try and read that's for sure!

I like a lot of your posts, informative and a lot of common sense. Unlike a lot on here.

Give SD a break, will you?

Comparing me to SD is like comparing Dobbie and Kean!

I'll take the compliment though Hawk, thank you! I don't know about informed though, I just post my take on things. Which is what forums such as this are all about I suppose.

I'll take the compliment though Hawk, thank you! I don't know about informed though, I just post my take on things. Which is what forums such as this are all about I suppose.

What's your thoughts on our options at left back Cammy? :-)

I think in Holt we have one of the best full-backs in the league and in Higgins we have ample cover. It's certainly no weaker than right-back where we have a solid performer in Mitchell, and if the playoff game is anything to go by, a suitable deputy in Dowie. We also have Kidd who I thought looked more comfortable in that game at full-back rather than midfield.

I certainly don't view left-back as a problem position, do you?

I'm happy with the squad in all honesty. An out-and-out left winger would have been nice. The fact one hasn't been signed yet another striker has indicates that Russell will remain a wide player. I can live with that though.

I think in Holt we have one of the best full-backs in the league and in Higgins we have ample cover. It's certainly no weaker than right-back where we have a solid performer in Mitchell, and if the playoff game is anything to go by, a suitable deputy in Dowie. We also have Kidd who I thought looked more comfortable in that game at full-back rather than midfield.

I certainly don't view left-back as a problem position, do you?

I'm happy with the squad in all honesty. An out-and-out left winger would have been nice. The fact one hasn't been signed yet another striker has indicates that Russell will remain a wide player. I can live with that though.

No I agree with all of that.

Just checking you and Hawk weren't the same person. ;)

One final test, do you think Nicky Clark is capable of scoring 10 or more goals in the championship for either Rangers or us if given a decent amount of starts next season?

One final test, do you think Nicky Clark is capable of scoring 10 or more goals in the championship for either Rangers or us if given a decent amount of starts next season?

If he plays against Hibs 4 times then yes definitely!

True but some folk talk utter rubbish and I'm not sure if they have ever played or been involved in football. I know we all have opinions and are entitled to them but!

No I agree with all of that.

Just checking you and Hawk weren't the same person. ;)

Well there was me agreeing with pc until his second last post. In Holt I think we have a young fullback who COULD go on to higher things but at the moment he is way to raw. When he has a bad game it's an absolute stinker and this season I fear for him.

Looks like Robinson's been released by us, so if you want him back, nows your chance.[/

Didn't get released from Raith just didnt want to go back apparently ????

Edited by Besty

Looks like Robinson's been released by us, so if you want him back, nows your chance.[/

Didn't get released from Raith just didnt want to go back apparently ????

ahh, thought he had been released..

Either way, I'm sure most, if not every rovers fan wanted to see him walk, got a better keeper signed up today than him anyway

I'd take Robinson over Cuthbert any day

Agreed but bar the challenge cup final I don't think he covered himself in glory at Raith. Cuthbert must be raging, played near enough every game at Hamilton and gets chucked. Never really rated him but must be decent cover at Accies if he isn't going to be first choice.