The Queen of the South thread

Are there?

The prodigal son returns, I hope not, he's not for this league.

As NEexile pointed out, I meant Zander. The clue was in the "keeper" ;)

I would agree you with about the left side of midfield. Russell did ok there but I'd like to see someone else brought in to provide genuine cover/competition and to give us the option of playing Russell up front.

ryan conroy been told to find a new club by Dundee. would take him right away

So would I, actually. Decent left sided player, who could probably play in the middle too. Another option from set pieces too.

In fact, if McIntyre continues to use a diamond formation he could fill the left midfield role perfectly

McIntyre is definitely playing it safe by assembling largely the same squad as last season.

Agreed and it's not a policy I'd particularly oppose.

There's a certain irony however, in that he spent the first third of last season buggering up a successful squad from the previous season.

Anyway back to the Wullie Gibson thing he scored an amazing goal against his local team at Tfs and that is what he is capable of what a waste of a great talent

He only ever scored 3 goals for us, which is pretty poor. Interestingly all of them came against teams from Angus.

Agreed and it's not a policy I'd particularly oppose.

There's a certain irony however, in that he spent the first third of last season buggering up a successful squad from the previous season.

The squad retention over the past couple of years has been to an extent generally unheard of at this level. It's definitely a good thing. Although it would be nice to have a few "wonderkids" going up a few levels for 6-figure fees as has happened to a few clubs in this Division, there is a lot to be said for having a squad of Championship-standard, solid performers. Particularly next season when 4th is the realistic peak of our ambitions.

I spent a lot of last season concerned that we'd see a massive overhaul this Summer as McIntyre put his own stamp on the team. It appeared he didn't rate some of our best players, and I expected the likes of Durnan and Holt to leave for pastures new and a manager who rated them.

As it's turned out, he is largely on the same wavelength as the majority of fans. He's a tough man to try and read that's for sure!

The major plus point is we will not blunder our way through the first three months next season. Results will be topsy turvy and that will be expected in a league with such teams involved. A comfortable ( hopefully) fourth or fifth awaits Queens come May 2015.

The major plus point is we will not blunder our way through the first three months next season. Results will be topsy turvy and that will be expected in a league with such teams involved. A comfortable ( hopefully) fourth or fifth awaits Queens come May 2015.

Yes, hopefully we'll avoid a spell like the autumn one we endured last time.

In the season ahead, a 4th place finish really would be quite an achievement. Assuming the big 3 divide the top 3 spots between themselves (and although it's not certain, that really ought to be how it unfolds, admin notwithstanding), then we'd have to get above the part time sides as well as Livi and Raith again, but also Falkirk and that won't be easy.

Last season, I thought 4th should be the least of our ambitions; this time it realistically is, as Cammy says, the height of them.

The squad retention over the past couple of years has been to an extent generally unheard of at this level. It's definitely a good thing. Although it would be nice to have a few "wonderkids" going up a few levels for 6-figure fees as has happened to a few clubs in this Division, there is a lot to be said for having a squad of Championship-standard, solid performers. Particularly next season when 4th is the realistic peak of our ambitions.

I spent a lot of last season concerned that we'd see a massive overhaul this Summer as McIntyre put his own stamp on the team. It appeared he didn't rate some of our best players, and I expected the likes of Durnan and Holt to leave for pastures new and a manager who rated them.

As it's turned out, he is largely on the same wavelength as the majority of fans. He's a tough man to try and read that's for sure!

Yes, hopefully we'll avoid a spell like the autumn one we endured last time.

In the season ahead, a 4th place finish really would be quite an achievement. Assuming the big 3 divide the top 3 spots between themselves (and although it's not certain, that really ought to be how it unfolds, admin notwithstanding), then we'd have to get above the part time sides as well as Livi and Raith again, but also Falkirk and that won't be easy.

Last season, I thought 4th should be the least of our ambitions; this time it realistically is, as Cammy says, the height of them.

Agree with both. I definitely think 4th would be a really good achievement next season and it's certainly not "the least we should expect" as opposed to last season. Realistically the top 3 should be what we all expect and as a betting man I would be going for Falkirk for 4th*. 5th/6th would be a pass mark for me this season. 4th really would be a great achievement as there are no teams in the league that I see us taking a guaranteed 9 points from (maybe Cowden :P)

My own personal hopes for the coming season would be to finish midtable and do ideally beat the 'top 3' a couple of times throughout the season, on their own patch would be even sweeter.

To be quite honest though, there aren't any other teams outwith 'the top 3' and Falkirk that will see 5th as unrealistic IMO. The title race will be interesting but the relegation spot could possibly home a few teams as well.

* Out of interest, when was the last time we finished above Falkirk in the league?

Edited by 19QOS19

Out of interest, when was the last time we finished above Falkirk in the league?

Would it be that season when they should have gone down, but were saved by Airdieonians' demise?

I think it was our first or second season back up, so it must be a decade or more ago.

Would it be that season when they should have gone down, but were saved by Airdieonians' demise?

I think it was our first or second season back up, so it must be a decade or more ago.

Nope. The season that Falkirk should have gone down was 2001/02, the season we won the second division.

That bit I knew, I had to look up when we last actually finished above them as I know we haven't done so since I started watching. In fact it was 1979 when we were relegated after finishing bottom of the First Division. Falkirk spent that season in the Second Division so were below us automatically.

The only time we've ever got close to doing so was in 2003 when we finished a single point behind them in 5th spot, the year Inverness won the league.