The Queen of the South thread

I take it the Zander Clark posts have been merged from another topic, or did I miss them first time round?

I actually think he is getting a bit of a rough ride from our fans this season. The majority are claiming he's been poorer this season than last, but I think that is more a case of his performances last season being overstated. Simply by being competent he was built up to be a deity as we were comparing him with one of the worst players to ever play for the club.

I think his reflexes are pretty good. He's excellent at one-on-ones, and although he has flapped at the occasional cross even that seems to have improved in recent weeks, possibly after working with Kenny Arthur.

I don't think you could have as many clean-sheets as we do if he was a poor 'keeper. Granted my memory is shocking, but the only goal of late I'd apportion any blame on him for would be Livingston's second in our recent 2-2 game.

All that said, I hope we sign our own permanent goalie next season, and I'm not desperate for it to be Clark. I'd be more than happy if he did sign, but I think we could find an adequate replacement if he didn't.

Guest TOPFITTER

Not quite sure where this idea of Clark's brilliance in one on ones comes from. His attempt to thwart a goal from such an occasion against Livi in the Petrofac Cup, was pathetic.

Monkey Tennis, should Clark return to St Johnstone what in your opinion are Jim Atkinson's chances of becoming No1 at Palmerston? or will he become the prepetual No2 until he up and leaves?

Monkey Tennis, should Clark return to St Johnstone what in your opinion are Jim Atkinson's chances of becoming No1 at Palmerston? or will he become the prepetual No2 until he up and leaves?

To be honest, I've not got a clue. I suspect he might remain as No2, but I've not seen enough to have an opinion on how fair or otherwise this would be.

Well known Queens fan from Dalbeattie. I know who he is, so will others, a regular on the Travel Club buses I think.

Two questions; does he read P&B? And if he does is he likely to travel to Sydney to hunt me down and beat me with a large stick?

Two questions; does he read P&B? And if he does is he likely to travel to Sydney to hunt me down and beat me with a large stick?

That's Harry the Sheik and his good lady , originally from Dumfries & now staying in Dalbeattie

They stand at the same spot every single game

Another victory for the U20's tonight

Airdrie 1 Queens 3

they seem to be on fire at the minute. take it pickard who was on the bench on Saturday is one of there main players? good that hes getting on bench and will show the 20s players that they have a chance of being on the bench. that dykes boy seems to have scored a few what about the two smiths they been playing for the 20s much?

Any news if Michael Paton featured at any point? The paper on saturday said he was over his injury and just needing game time before being ready for 1st team footy so this would have been an ideal chance to give him a runout. Seems like Dykes and Pickard are good prospects and hopefully they can keep on developing into players ready to challenge for a first team place

Having watched quite a bit of the reserves, dykes and pickard are the two outwith hooper etc that standout. dykes when first signed got played in a number positions down middle but seems to have settled uptops bagged something like 7 in 8. Pickard started of as a striker but has dropped deeper and is doing pretty well, but still got to develop in that position, would be fine uptops as well.

It's a pretty young side as well, so the signs are good. Josh Scott is a good player, plays wide right, a lot of pace and has is an absolute tank, takes a bit of stopping once he starts running. dickinson(?) is a centre half I like, and the young right back from Carlisle who's name I can't remember at the moment is also a decent player. Both are only 16.

Despite the doom and gloom of the previous pages, it actually sounds quite positive regarding the youth system. I don't see how someone can say people aren't getting a fair chance when there's a 16 year old boy playing in the u20s. Obviously if you are good enough you're old enough as the saying goes.

What sort of contracts do these boys get? I believe there are various rules and regulations regarding what they can and cannot sign (is it 17 you have to be before you can sign a pro contract?). I know the real world doesn't work like Football Manager, but it would be nice to have something in place that tied these boys down to long term deals. Possibly incentive-based, giving them a rise or an extension after certain milestones (making the first team squad, making x number of first team appearances etc.).

We must be doing something differently to the likes of Falkirk and Livingston, when they are selling on players for 6 figure fees, surely there is more to it than us being an unfashionable club. It is particularly galling in the case of Livingston when such an appallingly run club seems to have such a well run youth setup.

Despite the doom and gloom of the previous pages, it actually sounds quite positive regarding the youth system. I don't see how someone can say people aren't getting a fair chance when there's a 16 year old boy playing in the u20s. Obviously if you are good enough you're old enough as the saying goes.

What sort of contracts do these boys get? I believe there are various rules and regulations regarding what they can and cannot sign (is it 17 you have to be before you can sign a pro contract?). I know the real world doesn't work like Football Manager, but it would be nice to have something in place that tied these boys down to long term deals. Possibly incentive-based, giving them a rise or an extension after certain milestones (making the first team squad, making x number of first team appearances etc.).

We must be doing something differently to the likes of Falkirk and Livingston, when they are selling on players for 6 figure fees, surely there is more to it than us being an unfashionable club. It is particularly galling in the case of Livingston when such an appallingly run club seems to have such a well run youth setup.

Agree with everything you are saying but we can't compete geographically with the others mentioned. Livingston has a catchment area significantly bigger than ourselves and the same with Falkirk. Am I correct in saying Aaron Muirhead, Russell and Guff all started at Newcastle ? So they must keep a close finger on the pulse of goings on in this area and cherry pick the best talent. The old firm and other bigger clubs will also keep an eye on promising players and unfortunately are a much bigger draw than ourselves. The majority of the players that have moved on from Livi have 9/10 been released elsewhere and joined their youth system later on.

What sort of contracts do these boys get? I believe there are various rules and regulations regarding what they can and cannot sign (is it 17 you have to be before you can sign a pro contract?).

There are plenty of 16 and 17 year olds in the u20's squad. As I said a couple of pages ago, Lyndon Dykes is 19 and there are a couple of 18 year olds. The rest of the squad are 17 or under. You have to be 16 to sign a pro contract.

Am I correct in saying Aaron Muirhead, Russell and Guff all started at Newcastle ? So they must keep a close finger on the pulse of goings on in this area and cherry pick the best talent. The old firm and other bigger clubs will also keep an eye on promising players and unfortunately are a much bigger draw than ourselves. The majority of the players that have moved on from Livi have 9/10 been released elsewhere and joined their youth system later on.

I think Muirhead and McGuffie both started in our youth system. Muirhead certainly did. Both then moved on to Annan from where McGuffie (and McMenamin) moved on to Newcastle. I'm not conscious of Muirhead having been at Newcastle at all, Wiki suggests he had a spell at Ayr United's academy in between ourselves and Annan.

As far as I know Iain Russell has never been at Newcastle either. He certainly hasn't been registered outside Scotland since he joined Rangers at 14. I think he may have trained with Annan for a while at younger ages.

Players at young levels move about from time to time and develop at different rates obviously. Danny Carmichael came through our youths but left and had playing time at Workington and Gretna before ending up back here. Gavin Reilly was with Rangers as a young boy before joining us, then Carlisle United, then back to us. Nicky Clark had been released by both Rangers and Aberdeen before coming good late on with us.

Agree with everything you are saying but we can't compete geographically with the others mentioned. Livingston has a catchment area significantly bigger than ourselves and the same with Falkirk. Am I correct in saying Aaron Muirhead, Russell and Guff all started at Newcastle ? So they must keep a close finger on the pulse of goings on in this area and cherry pick the best talent. The old firm and other bigger clubs will also keep an eye on promising players and unfortunately are a much bigger draw than ourselves. The majority of the players that have moved on from Livi have 9/10 been released elsewhere and joined their youth system later on.

I understand all this. I'm not talking about the young players that we have missed out on though, that's a whole different discussion. I'm aware of the problems that being away from the central belt causes. Although a positive spin on that would be to say that we have the advantage of picking the cream of the crop from the whole of the South of Scotland, being the top senior side in the region. Judging by the OS we are also widening our scouting network to include the North of England, with boys from Blackburn, Sunderland, Carlisle, Newcastle, Whitehaven, and Consett on the books.

My post was regarding the ones that do sign with us, not those that slip through the net. In Holt, Reilly, and McShane we have three players that have come through our youth system, racked up a large number of appearances, and will likely move onto bigger things in the not too distant future. We'll be lucky if the development fees that we receive for all three combined totals 6 figures, nevermind the supposed £1 million that Falkirk got for McGrandles. Surely geography has no impact on this?

I'm not meaning this as a particular dig at anyone, although obviously if there is more the club could do then I would encourage them to do it. I'm just genuinely interested on people's thoughts on why we seem to be different to other clubs. Since selling Andy Thomson we've not sold on too many players because they have mostly been average, or worse, so it is a new phenomena to me.