The Queen of the South thread

Kidd looked dangerous going forward and winning the penalty which he converted, although the keeper should have saved his second which was a free kick. He was playing in the hole, just off Dykes who was up front. Kev seemed unbelievably comfortable and strolled through the game.

how did kidd and tkevin play? heard the 20s have a lot of good young players but just don't get a chance with first team

The 20's actually have some good young players who don't get a chance with the 20's, never mind first team

Or maybe someone who cares about the club & youth development

Sure the club is doing best it can they can only field 11 players at a time and like the rest of the teams they take the chance to field first team squad players that aren't getting much game time to keep them match fit.

Are the club ment to play all the young lads just for the sake of it.

Sounds like they're developing pretty well tbh. If they aren't getting a game for the 20s then the chances of them ever being good enough for the first team are pretty slim.

Think you are missing my point, It's not about being good enough as I would like to think if they were not good enough they would not be there in the first place, its about being given the opportunity. Take Monday night for instance, from memory there was 6 first team members in the team (which would have been 7 if Pat Slattery was not out on loan), therefore leaving 4 or 5 places left for all the other development squad members. It has been discussed on this forum before when the U19 & reserve league were scrapped in favour of this new U20 set up, how teams would use it, some for youth development & some as a reserve league. It's fine if your in the first team squad & training every day & getting game time. It's not so good for your development if your only training a few hours a week & not been given the opportunity to play in these games or being a bit part player.

Sure the club is doing best it can they can only field 11 players at a time and like the rest of the teams they take the chance to field first team squad players that aren't getting much game time to keep them match fit.

Are the club ment to play all the young lads just for the sake of it.

No they are not but what about the lads trying to come through, how do they get there chance.

Think you are missing my point, It's not about being good enough as I would like to think if they were not good enough they would not be there in the first place, its about being given the opportunity. Take Monday night for instance, from memory there was 6 first team members in the team (which would have been 7 if Pat Slattery was not out on loan), therefore leaving 4 or 5 places left for all the other development squad members. It has been discussed on this forum before when the U19 & reserve league were scrapped in favour of this new U20 set up, how teams would use it, some for youth development & some as a reserve league. It's fine if your in the first team squad & training every day & getting game time. It's not so good for your development if your only training a few hours a week & not been given the opportunity to play in these games or being a bit part player.

No they are not but what about the lads trying to come through, how do they get there chance.

In the past 15 years we have very rarely brought any player through our own youth system that has been moved on for a fee Infact have we ever ? If we are using the league to give the odd fringe player game time then that suits me.

The last few players to come through our youth system to have a sustained run in the side being Mcshane, Reilly and Holty before that it was Burnsy and willie Gibson so as you can see the conveyor belt is a shade slow in producing talent.

In the past 15 years we have very rarely brought any player through our own youth system that has been moved on for a fee Infact have we ever ? If we are using the league to give the odd fringe player game time then that suits me.

The last few players to come through our youth system to have a sustained run in the side being Mcshane, Reilly and Holty before that it was Burnsy and willie Gibson so as you can see the conveyor belt is a shade slow in producing talent.

Exactly, that's why it should be looked at. A club like ours should be looking at bringing through players from the youth system & maybe profiting on them if possible, if not then why not just scrap the whole thing.

Definitely a disgruntled parent whose boy isn't getting a game.

You couldn't be further from the truth, though I do know parents who have & who have had boys at the club.

The problem with the young boys is that it is a huge jump to Championship level from the under 20's.Even the boy we have from Killie on loan is finding it hard and he plays for Scotland.

Disagree with the Kiltie comment the twice I have seen the lad play he has done well and plays as tho he is older and wiser than he is, up till getting injured both times snd having to go off.

I have watched a few under 20's games and honestly don't think very many if any could make the step up to championship level despite going 11 games undefeated wich is a shame but a few of them are still young enough to progress in a few years time.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH