The Queen of the South thread

Getting relegated was probably the best for the likes of Gavin, Holty and Nicky Clark. Playing at a less difficult level and consistently playing well was probably more beneficial than surviving and playing gusball for another season.

The problem with the young boys is that it is a huge jump to Championship level from the under 20's. Even the boy we have from Killie on loan is finding it hard and he plays for Scotland.

That's a good point, it also applies to the jump from U17 straight to U20, as before it was scrapped there were U19's & reserves like down in England they still have U18 & U21 giving more opportunity for players to play competitive games.

I think it's worth remembering that by and large our u20's squad is very young. It was mostly assembled as an u19 squad before the SPFL moved the goalposts and it was young even for a 19's squad. Of the actual 20's squad itself only Lyndon Dykes has turned 19 and only Jak Ashton and Dylan Neill are even 18 yet. The rest of them are all 16 and 17. Of the fringe first teamers who play regularly in the Development League, Atkinson and Hooper are about to turn 20 (and Pat Slattery is 21 though now out on loan anyway) but the rest are much younger. Salim Kouider-Aissa and Dean Smith are 18 and Aidan Smith is only 17. They might be regarded as first team players because they have a squad number and train up the road but between them they've got 4 first team starts and 3 of those were Atkinson last season, the other being Hooper when we fielded a fringe team at Cowdenbeath in last season's closing game. I'm not sure how often Kevin Dzierzawski has actually played for the 20's? I don't think Kidd's played more than a couple of times (he's age eligible too for that matter) and McKenna once. It's not really the case that we're filling out the Development team with senior players, the boys that are playing are generally development age players.

The 20's squad is also possibly a littlle bigger than it needed to be having been largely put together before the new u20 league set up came in that allowed the use of half a dozen older players and when there was an expectation that they'd be playing u19 games and filling out half the squad in reserve league games. The club has recognised that some of them were not playing enough football and addressed it in most cases. Jamie Kerr was allowed to join Glenafton whilst there are currently six players out on Development Loans which let them turn out for other clubs at the weekend whilst remaining eligible for the 20's if required.

I'm not going to comment on the merits of individual players. I haven't managed to see the 20's this season for a start (a by product of them playing on midweek nights now, I managed to catch a few games last season when they played Sundays). However, given the quality of our first team these days, it would take a really special player to break into that squad at the age most of them are. It doesn't mean they've no chance of developing to that level. Even Holt and Reilly, good as they clearly are, weren't playing 1st team at that age much and that was in a much weaker first team. Most of the boys have at least 3 years of qualification left at that age level and a fair number of them are still at school and not training full time.

I think it's worth remembering that by and large our u20's squad is very young. It was mostly assembled as an u19 squad before the SPFL moved the goalposts and it was young even for a 19's squad. Of the actual 20's squad itself only Lyndon Dykes has turned 19 and only Jak Ashton and Dylan Neill are even 18 yet. The rest of them are all 16 and 17. Of the fringe first teamers who play regularly in the Development League, Atkinson and Hooper are about to turn 20 (and Pat Slattery is 21 though now out on loan anyway) but the rest are much younger. Salim Kouider-Aissa and Dean Smith are 18 and Aidan Smith is only 17. They might be regarded as first team players because they have a squad number and train up the road but between them they've got 4 first team starts and 3 of those were Atkinson last season, the other being Hooper when we fielded a fringe team at Cowdenbeath in last season's closing game. I'm not sure how often Kevin Dzierzawski has actually played for the 20's? I don't think Kidd's played more than a couple of times (he's age eligible too for that matter) and McKenna once. It's not really the case that we're filling out the Development team with senior players, the boys that are playing are generally development age players.

The 20's squad is also possibly a littlle bigger than it needed to be having been largely put together before the new u20 league set up came in that allowed the use of half a dozen older players and when there was an expectation that they'd be playing u19 games and filling out half the squad in reserve league games. The club has recognised that some of them were not playing enough football and addressed it in most cases. Jamie Kerr was allowed to join Glenafton whilst there are currently six players out on Development Loans which let them turn out for other clubs at the weekend whilst remaining eligible for the 20's if required.

I'm not going to comment on the merits of individual players. I haven't managed to see the 20's this season for a start (a by product of them playing on midweek nights now, I managed to catch a few games last season when they played Sundays). However, given the quality of our first team these days, it would take a really special player to break into that squad at the age most of them are. It doesn't mean they've no chance of developing to that level. Even Holt and Reilly, good as they clearly are, weren't playing 1st team at that age much and that was in a much weaker first team. Most of the boys have at least 3 years of qualification left at that age level and a fair number of them are still at school and not training full time.

is dykes the Australian boy? so if hes 19 surely they will be looking at him to move upto first team next season? th two smith boys are real prospects and have a chance. when there next game?

is dykes the Australian boy? so if hes 19 surely they will be looking at him to move upto first team next season? th two smith boys are real prospects and have a chance. when there next game?

Lyndon Dykes has dual British / Australian nationality but yes, that's him. He has family locally.

The next Development League game is on Tuesday night away to Airdrie. We're due to be at home to Annan the week after but there's no definite date for that one set yet. The fixtures tend to be finalised a week at a time.

did Reilly not get loaned out for a season too when he was young (still is). I'm sure he did well preseason but was loaned out to a south league team to gain experience and came back a better player

He spent a year at Gretna, either the season we went down or the one before that, can't remember which.

He spent a year at Gretna, either the season we went down or the one before that, can't remember which.

He was loaned to Gretna from Sept 10 to May 11 when he was 17. Brannigan's season. He was with us as an amateur at the time, had a full time job too and wasn't able to train up the road with our other young players so he had a year on loan at Gretna after scoring his first goal for the first team as a teenage sub. Worked out well for everyone and rejoined the fold full time in Gus' season when he was a regular sub and started scoring goals.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Oh well, with most of them being eligible then for the next 3 years, lets hope all of them get a fair opportunity over that period & hopefully then provide bodies for the first team. Then ultimately create some revenue in years to come.

Edited by qos8

A wee Friday night brain teaser to think about over your wee nips.

The question/questions I have for all Queens fans and especially those that are even older than me.

Who is the youngest Queens scorer of a competitive goal and hat trick and the oldest scorer of a competitive goal and hat trick?

With the latter I was torn between Jackie Brown, Jimmy Rutherford, Billy Houston or possibly Jim Patterson who did it against Aberdeen.

Cheers in advance.

ps I don't know any of the answers.

I'm not one for having a pop at our youth players. I think it's great that we have so many waiting in the wings. But I have to admit that in the few occasions I've seen Dean play I haven't been impressed. You don't expect wonders from the youngsters but with the likes of Reilly, Burns, Gibson et al, and even Slattery, there has always been a "spark" there that made/makes me think they could develop into a prospect. I just don't see it with young Dean. He will hopefully prove me wrong, but I'm quite doubtful. In all honesty, I'd have had him out on loan well ahead of Slattery.

I'm not one for having a pop at our youth players. I think it's great that we have so many waiting in the wings. But I have to admit that in the few occasions I've seen Dean play I haven't been impressed. You don't expect wonders from the youngsters but with the likes of Reilly, Burns, Gibson et al, and even Slattery, there has always been a "spark" there that made/makes me think they could develop into a prospect. I just don't see it with young Dean. He will hopefully prove me wrong, but I'm quite doubtful. In all honesty, I'd have had him out on loan well ahead of Slattery.

I agree with this. Although I still think Dean has some potential, but for me Aidan Smith is a better player and I'm amazed that he hasn't been given some game time yet.

I agree with this. Although I still think Dean has some potential, but for me Aidan Smith is a better player and I'm amazed that he hasn't been given some game time yet.

I can't say I'm amazed we haven't seen him given game time, both young laddies knowhere near good enough for this level yet.

A wee Friday night brain teaser to think about over your wee nips.

The question/questions I have for all Queens fans and especially those that are even older than me.

Who is the youngest Queens scorer of a competitive goal and hat trick and the oldest scorer of a competitive goal and hat trick?

With the latter I was torn between Jackie Brown, Jimmy Rutherford, Billy Houston or possibly Jim Patterson who did it against Aberdeen.

Cheers in advance.

ps I don't know any of the answers.

Would think Andy Thompson may be youngest

I can't say I'm amazed we haven't seen him given game time, both young laddies knowhere near good enough for this level yet.

Agree totally.The youngsters should be either loaned to the Ayrshire Super League/Lowland League or Annan /bottom tier teams.Going on loan to South of Scotland teams isnt going to do anything for their development .

Was there a player called Allen in the 90's who was only 16 when he played for Queens and I think he scored. Think this was about time Doig made his debut too

You thinking of Craig Allen (defender) don't remember him scoring or playing 1st team he came from glasgow area around same time as Jamie Mcallister, Lilley & Nesovic.