The General Ross County Chat Thread

14 minutes ago, Reid said:

Darren Brownlie the one who was us a few seasons ago and QoS last season?

8 minutes ago, Staggie_93 said:

Different one I think, came from either Rangers or Dundee United youth team, can't mind which one.

He was described by Ross County's Twitter feed as "ex Rangers".

Looking at Rangers' website, it shows the same DOB as the player who was at Thistle, Cowden and Queen of the South. 

Edited by bunglebonce

Sad news for the team and definitely a loss due to his strength in the air.

Hardly disastrous though SH, and explains the surprise signing of Jay McEveley.

When can we expect Quinn to be back fit and in the team?

I would be concerned if we were without Quinn and Davies for a prolonged period at the start of the season.

I'm not convinced it's all that disastrous to be honest. It's definitely a blow, don't get me wrong. But I always felt Quinn & Davis playing together wasn't the best, there was just no pace between them. Quinn is more than good enough to replace Davies at this level and we have to play someone with a bit more pace alongside him. I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw of McEveley at CB at both games in Hungary.

More importantly though, it frees up quite a lot of money to bring in a gamechanging winger...

Davies is so good on the ball though. He's the only defender the have who can carry the ball into midfield. I guess the guy they signed from Bradford may now be asked to do that job now. Which means a change in tactics, as McIntyre likes a defender to come forward rather than a midfielder to come back.

If McEveley can be that ball playing centre back. We might be okay, but I'm not at all convinced.

I'm just not a Quinn fan at all.

McEveley looked pretty comfortable bringing the ball forward too, to be honest so I don't think it'll change us that much (he was definitely quicker than Davies though). It's hard to say when only watching friendlies, but similarly I think it's jumping the gun a bit to say it's a disaster. It's a blow certainly, but not a disaster.

I'm not convinced it's all that disastrous to be honest. It's definitely a blow, don't get me wrong. But I always felt Quinn & Davis playing together wasn't the best, there was just no pace between them. Quinn is more than good enough to replace Davies at this level and we have to play someone with a bit more pace alongside him. I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw of McEveley at CB at both games in Hungary.

More importantly though, it frees up quite a lot of money to bring in a gamechanging winger...

^^ Pretty much this. Not seen McEveley yet (not since distant hazy memories of seeing him play for Scotland anyway) but not overly bothered if Davies wants to go, despite him being a decent player.

22 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

I'm waiting for bunglebonce to tell me whether to panic or not, until then I'm with Spain.

Ha!  I'm a big fan of Davies, but the best we saw of him post-January was when he and Quinn were allowed to defend deep.

From what I watched of the Hungary games on Periscope, and the Brora friendly on Tuesday night, the midfielders are definitely coming deeper for the ball anyway.

Davies isn't gone yet btw. I'll be surprised if he's here by 1 September, but it's very possible he'll start the season.

I haven't seen enough of McEveley to comment, but he played as much at CB as he did at LB for Sheffield United.

I don't want to see Davies go, but if it frees up a good part of the budget for a winger then it could work ok in the end.

I'll also stand up for Quinn.  I don't think he trained much last season due to injury and we never saw the best of him as a result, but he still showed he's good enough to lead the side.  I thought his form between Jan-May 2015 was excellent, so hopefully we'll see that again soon.

Edited by bunglebonce
I agree with Spain