The General Ross County Chat Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

leakviaco.thumb.png.f7148c8c8ed6f254d7632ce7d6ce8851.png

Charts really didn't like Iacovitti last season 😅

Wow let’s hope Leak is as good as his chart reads , Iacovitti was very good for us though but this on paper at least looks encouraging 

Thanks a lot randomguy

The Leak chart is interesting, thanks for sharing. No comparisons should be made here though I reckon.

Don't think we can compare Iacovitti to Leak as it is totally different leagues and completely different scenarios. Salford City finished 7th in League 2 last season making the play-offs (losing in the semi final). The Salford defence certainly won't have been tested anywhere near as much as County's who were fighting a relegation battle. While there is definite question marks about the quality of the Premiership, County play in a league where pretty much every match the defence is thoroughly tested and usually aren't favourites in every match pretty much. If it was a comparison from a player from a struggling League 1 club, e.g. Morecambe, then a comparison would be more accurate.

I’m flabbergasted at the number of people that thought Iacovitti was, for the most part, good last season. He was nothing more than a meat and potatoes centre back. He’d head a brick if it came towards him. However, he was one of the worst players I’ve seen at County for a few years in possession. He had no composure on the ball and would just shell it up the channel at any given opportunity.

As long as Leak doesn’t do that, he’ll be an upgrade. 

2 hours ago, yoda said:

Iacovitti was Alex Keddie for Generation Z. 

Solid in the air and solid at aimlessly hoofing the ball upfield. 

Keddie was actually passable at left back when used there, Iacovitti, the less said the better.

7 hours ago, Sonam said:

The Leak chart is interesting, thanks for sharing. No comparisons should be made here though I reckon.

Don't think we can compare Iacovitti to Leak as it is totally different leagues and completely different scenarios. Salford City finished 7th in League 2 last season making the play-offs (losing in the semi final). The Salford defence certainly won't have been tested anywhere near as much as County's who were fighting a relegation battle. While there is definite question marks about the quality of the Premiership, County play in a league where pretty much every match the defence is thoroughly tested and usually aren't favourites in every match pretty much. If it was a comparison from a player from a struggling League 1 club, e.g. Morecambe, then a comparison would be more accurate.

Aye its hard to compare. The "club weighted value" compares them solely to players who've played at the selected club, in the selected division, to try and compensate for that. So you can see Leak even for Salford CBs in League Two was giving them some value, while it thinks Iacovitti by County top flight standards was fairly poor last season.

I dunno how well it works yet though, just pump these out and see what people think really.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye its hard to compare. The "club weighted value" compares them solely to players who've played at the selected club, in the selected division, to try and compensate for that. So you can see Leak even for Salford CBs in League Two was giving them some value, while it thinks Iacovitti by County top flight standards was fairly poor last season.

I dunno how well it works yet though, just pump these out and see what people think really.

In effect, fans rating Iacovitti seem to be using their own “club weighted value” in that they’re comparing him to those around him at the club. Imo he was the best centre back at the club last year, but the bar wasn’t exactly high. It will be interesting to see how our central defence function this year. Will our club captain get a game?

Seem history hasn't treated Iacovitti well.  I thought he improved with every season he was with us.  Yeah he wasn't great going forward, but was pretty solid at the back and was certainly lot less culpable than Baldwin last season. 

Correct me if I am wrong but he was never red carded for us, and picked up only 12 yellow cards over 116 appearances, pretty good for a CB.

My perception of Iacovitti's worth to the team is in how comparatively few goals were conceded as a result of his own actions, but I don't have anything to back that up with. It seemed to me that he was rarely culpable for goals conceded. He was an excellent man marker and trouble mostly avoided him. He was easily the best 'defending' defender at the club last season and, aside from White, was the biggest goal threat at set-pieces at the other end of the pitch. His game management was spot on, too.

His passing wasn't hot but I can forgive long balls from a centre-back much more than from a full-back.

Spoiler

I have thought of looking at all of the goals conceded last season, to see if there was anything in my own opinion, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Edited by bunglebonce

I think the only thing that springs to mind about being a weakness with Iacovitti was his propensity to go to ground, especially in the box when he had little chance of winning the ball- a penalty given away at Celtic springs to mind, but it's not like this was a regular thing.

7 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

Thought he looked very sharp in pre-season but a little concerning that he’s dropped a level from his loan moves last year. 

He was decent enough at Montrose but apparently not so much at Falkirk. I would imagine that Elgin is a matter of convenience though, I could be wrong but the only teams in League 1 I can see having any real need for him are Edinburgh City and Annan possibly which is a fair old trek for training twice a week, granted coming to Dundee to train with us wouldn’t have been much better. 

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

With Hester moving to Montrose, Elgin will need goals from somewhere. They are tipped to have a tough season so it could be the making of him.

Exactly my thoughts on this. Matty will have the pressure of being the main man up front for Elgin, not just a support act youngster, coming on for 20 mins here and there. It'll also allow him to train with the RC 1st team squad so we can observe his development and working with the likes of White, Murray & Brophy plus the coaching team can only be a good thing for him imo 🤞

I see both Brophy and Henderson are in your squads but not in the starting 11.  Interested to hear County fans’ views on these guys.  Brophy was incredibly unlucky with injuries and Jay didn’t fit into the formations Robinson favours. 
Good luck this season, Dingers is always one of my favourite away days. 

24 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I see both Brophy and Henderson are in your squads but not in the starting 11.  Interested to hear County fans’ views on these guys.  Brophy was incredibly unlucky with injuries and Jay didn’t fit into the formations Robinson favours. 
Good luck this season, Dingers is always one of my favourite away days. 

They’ll both play their part this season , Brophy was fantastic for us when fit last year , Henderson looked decent in pre season but we have a relatively settled team so they may have to bide their time 

Excellent win at the weekend, especially nice to see a clean sheet & also plenty of good chances created.

Has there been anything on Dhanda and his injury? I know the talk in the match thread was of a rib injury and could be up to 6 weeks but haven't seen any confirmation. 

Also this was just mentioned in passing on Open All Mics, but did Malky really claim last week County have the lowest wage bill in the country?