The General Ross County Chat Thread

18 hours ago, Steve Carrella said:

The source was , as ever, unlikely to be the club. We are an absolute  cluster f**k. I hope that Don Cowie realises he is ( for a short period of time) very much able to call the shots as Macgregor has run out of rope until he has enough time to weave more.

Technically, you braid rope, rather than weave it.

On 08/02/2024 at 15:37, silver said:

I have a lot of time for the fella, and whenever I spoke to him I found him to be approachable, chatty and friendly. It was the same with his Dad. I wonder how many people who have derided him ever took the opportunity to actually speak to him, but instead just piled on him in a frenzy after his interviews.

Its always the same to be honest, it's a bit brutal that way. The media will jump on anything like that interview, they look for it and try to drag it out of managers. People get sucked in by it and so on - jump on the bandwagon and people with axes to grind get stuck right in. I have to say I was impressed by the way the Ross County fanbase on the whole didn't just buy what they were being fed.

I had no real interest in County before, but now I'd say I have more of a soft spot for them, so fair play to him for that and to the County fanbase for how they responded. He's definitely one of a kind and I have a lot of time for that. Thanks for sharing your experiences of him in real life, I'd happily go for a beer or have a chat with the guy.  

19 hours ago, Sonam said:

Certainly that Morton result puts things in perspective. Motherwell ain't that great as shown last night.

3 wins in all competitions (including v Livi and Alloa) in their entire previous 5 months of football already had it firmly in perspective, in my opinion.

Edit: Take their recent demolition of us out of the equation, noone even bats an eyelid that Morton beat them last night.

Edited by The Great Stagsby

6 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Very sad to hear of the death of Donnie Munro (65) in a house fire on Thursday last week.  He was a groundsman at the Club and big County fan, a "well kent face" in Dingwall.

I saw the club announcing it, but hadn't realised what had happened. Truly awful. 

7 hours ago, Sutherland_Staggie said:

The club announced last night that there's going to be a minute's applause before kick off v Livi

Good to know, thanks

Is Keillor-Dunn seen as a youth product with you lot?

I follow a EFL account and hes constantly raving about him, with the general consensus hes been one of the best players in League Two down there for years.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I follow a EFL account and hes constantly raving about him, with the general consensus hes been one of the best players in League Two down there for years.

He'd been through several NE England's youth systems before we got him off Chesterfield.

Talented, but very one dimensional at times. If defenders worked him out, he wouldn't change. Still mind him and David N'gog ripping Dundee to bits at Dens. A rare glimmer of hope under Owen Coyle's tenure.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Short answer is no.

Long answer is we spent a rake of money on players who were released after their first pro deals to fill out our Under 21s. They won the league and DKD was the only part of that team that regularly saw first team football. Everybody rated him; he was raw but you could see he could play. He left the season we got relegated and his career seems to have blossomed. 

On 07/02/2024 at 22:29, Zeto-83 said:

Well all 3 are injured. Laidlaw aiming for Dundee game and Leak won't be too far behind. In terms of Baldwin we'll see him before we see Randall back

Interesting. 

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

He'd been through several NE England's youth systems before we got him off Chesterfield.

Talented, but very one dimensional at times. If defenders worked him out, he wouldn't change. Still mind him and David N'gog ripping Dundee to bits at Dens. A rare glimmer of hope under Owen Coyle's tenure.

"One dimensional " is extremely harsh. What we were watching at the time was a very young lad breaking into the first team and very much proving his worth.  As a kid you follow to the letter the instructions you are given when you are given the opportunity.  There are plenty experienced one trick ponies out there so i don't agree with your assessment.  He was an extremely pleasant and enthusiastic kid who didn't get a fair blast at County.  Glad he's doing well for himself now. 

31 minutes ago, Steve Carrella said:

"One dimensional " is extremely harsh. What we were watching at the time was a very young lad breaking into the first team and very much proving his worth.  As a kid you follow to the letter the instructions you are given when you are given the opportunity.  There are plenty experienced one trick ponies out there so i don't agree with your assessment.  He was an extremely pleasant and enthusiastic kid who didn't get a fair blast at County.  Glad he's doing well for himself now. 

When he was offered the outside, he'd refuse it and just run into players. Aye, he was still young and had talent. Maybe he needed a move away to further his game that way.

12 hours ago, Comrie said:

When he was offered the outside, he'd refuse it and just run into players. Aye, he was still young and had talent. Maybe he needed a move away to further his game that way.

Seems to play through the middle for Mansfield, as folk have said always looked like he had talent, but really struggled when on either side. 

If they don't get promoted, I imagine he will get a move to a League One side.

On 14/02/2024 at 17:39, Matty-RCFC said:

He left the season we got relegated and his career seems to have blossomed. 

He actually came down with us and ended up signing for Falkirk for the 2nd half of that season. It was him that scored their penalty at QOTS when they pitch invaded and then subsequently conceded in the added on time due to the invasion to effectively relegate them. I thought he might get a chance to break into the team when we came back up but that didn't seem to be forthcoming. Always liked him and good to see him doing well down south

40 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Ryan Leak was the captain last night. A subtlety maybe, but in my book it is preferred to have a player committed to the club as a captain, than someone on a PCA. 

I don’t necessarily disagree but if Adams had done that, the moonhowlers would have savaged him.  As would they incidentally, for the first goal.