The General Ross County Chat Thread

1 hour ago, silver said:

Is Wickens a better keeper than Laidlaw? In my opinion yes. He kept us in that game yesterday, in particular saving the shot that was going into the top corner. From my seat he stretched every sinew in his body to reach that. A good signing by DA and we are lucky to have him. He will go on and do well in the game.

A fair few shots pushed straight back out. I think he’s raw, but probably will go places.  Unlike the litany of prospects who have been to challenge Laidlaw and give on to be hopeless. 

2 hours ago, silver said:

Is Wickens a better keeper than Laidlaw? In my opinion yes. He kept us in that game yesterday, in particular saving the shot that was going into the top corner. From my seat he stretched every sinew in his body to reach that. A good signing by DA and we are lucky to have him. He will go on and do well in the game.

Not yet, but I think he'll end up being considerably better than Laidlaw once he's developed a bit more.

2 hours ago, StoneThrowAway said:

If you think they over ran us yesterday in the second half because Dhanda wasn’t playing then you know heehaw about football. 

They changed at half time to play with more width (Mackay RW, Double LW), Cowie kept us playing narrow. Stevie Wonder could see they were outnumbering us in the middle/their forward position. That’s nothing to do with personnel and solely to do with the number of bodies. 

First of all I didn't say that anywhere in relation to Dhanda. It's you misreading things. Does happen I suppose on forums. You mentioning the midfield working their socks off, 2nd half this definately wasn't the case! Livi changing their shape, of course they were going to try something diffferent. Perhaps things could have been changed earlier too adapt to the change of shape, like when the Livi 1st goal went in. Livi had to go for it in that 2nd half and they certainly did! When the equalised I was fearing the worst.

As for not playing Dhanda, having a player with the ability & skill he has, I do think he will be needed for the matches ahead. There is a reason why Hearts, the 3rd best team in the country were after him in Jan and why he has signed a pre-contract with them. Don't see much interest from other top teams for any of the other County players under contract. Wonder why that is?

Wickens does look to be a great keeper, that's why I guess he is under contract to Fulham. Definately the best of Adams signings. However I'm sure he won't be sticking around and signing a contract at the end of the season. Loan deal finishes and he will be back down the road.

Feel sorry for Laidlaw as he has played good this season, being dropped until the end of the season will have an affect on his confidence. Saying that, I'd hope to see Wickens stay in the team. His saves kept County in the match, anything that helps the team stay in the league. 

Laidlaw is injured, which seemed to occur after or around the Partick game. So what I don’t know is whether Wickens was always going to be preferred to Laidlaw or whether he was given the gig for the cup game and has held the spot ever seen due to Laidlaws injury.

I don’t think there is much between them, Laidlaw has always had issues deciding when to come off his line, whereas as Henry has already mentioned Wickens has a horrible habit of pushing the ball back out in front of him.

18 hours ago, Sonam said:

A better balance? Really! 1st half maybe, definately not in the 2nd though! Livi were all over us in the 2nd half. 

As much as I'm delighted with the win, pleased for Don Cowie, County were not winning the midfield battle for the majority of that 2nd half! Would you be saying the same if it had ended 2-2?

It was a lucky win in the end, equal 6 shots on target, but some of those Livi shot off target were damn close!  18 to 13 in favour of Livi... for a home game against the team that are bottom!

Let's not play Dhanda then for the remainder of the season if that's yer thoughts...

I don’t disagree that we were weaker in the second half at all and yes I would be saying it if we drew. I think the first half was pretty good and the Livi changes helped them we didn’t seem to react to that but I wonder if Don should have changed things.  That said their first goal came really early in that second half and that did tip the balance. I did feel throughout that the midfield battled but it did tire - they put a lot into the game. I don’t think it’s about Dhanda not playing again through the rest of the season but I do think we need to find a better midfield balance and for me yesterdays was better than what I’ve seen since Christmas

There is certainly going to be a lot of matches coming up, Tue home to St. Mirren, then away to Hibs Sat 2nd Mar, then home to Hibs Wed 13th Mar, followed by home to Hearts Sat 16th March, then Aberdeen away at the end of next month. It's probably a good thing in a way not to have Scottish Cup to deal with amongst that tbh!

I guess Adams had to free money sending Turner & Samuel out on loan, but squad rotation will be needed. I do get the feeling Dhanda may have been a bit peeved he didn't get to join Hearts in the Jan window, however I'm still hopefully when fit, he will snap out of it and go back to giving his all. Would be superb to avoid the play offs this time. If County can somehow get a win Tuesday night, then I'm gonna be glued to the TV watching Livingston play Motherwell on Wed (like the County match, also live on Sky).

1 hour ago, Sonam said:

I do get the feeling Dhanda may have been a bit peeved he didn't get to join Hearts in the Jan window, however I'm still hopefully when fit, he will snap out of it and go back to giving his all.

You don’t half talk some shite. Snap out of what? Being injured? 

10 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

You don’t half talk some shite. Snap out of what? Being injured? 

Before his injury, heard from others (who attend more away games than I do) that he wasn't at the races. In Jan&Feb. Maybe other stuff behind the scenes, who knows. 

Whatever man, not gonna argue with you. Waste of time to be frank. Don't care what you think tbh.

Have a nice week and try not to get so wound up. It's just a game and unless you know a player or two and are hearing more than I do, it's all just speculation. A good time pass. No need to insult others. Cheer up like, sounds like you need to!!!

I believe I owe Eamonn Brophy an apology. I slated him for his lack of motivation to get fit over Adams’ tenure. He was exceptional in the first half on Saturday and if we play that front 3 going forward towards the end of the season, we will score goals. 

35 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I believe I owe Eamonn Brophy an apology. I slated him for his lack of motivation to get fit over Adams’ tenure. He was exceptional in the first half on Saturday and if we play that front 3 going forward towards the end of the season, we will score goals. 

Would like to think Cowie is going to be brave enough to stick to the three up front, you saw on Saturday how important it is to keep Brophy fit for the remainder. Goals are going to be vital as we seem hell bent on conceding from individual and collective errors. If we go down I'd fully accept it if we give it a real go for the rest of the season. 

I like Brophy, Murray and White up top together. It worked well last season before Brophy picked up an injury. If I remember correctly, the first time we played it was at home to Dundee United and we blew them away. Hoping a good run in the side will sharpen Brophy up, as its clear to see how good a finisher he is when he gets himself in the right place. 

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I don’t think you owe him an apology at all.  That said, he’s got what he wanted and is now starting games.  If he can score 10 goals between now and the end of the season, we’ll be just fine. 

Some people get in some states when it's all opinons at the end of the day.

You'd think it would be fairly upbeat on here, County won a game after a long while. It's becoming as miserable a place as overthebridge was and that is saying something!

Anyone with a slightly different opinion gets insulted. Yet unless any of these posters have genuine inside information (real players don't gossip to fans as much) or were themselves former professional footballers or former professional managers. It's all opinion really. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. 

I dare say seems to be a fair few arseholes on here! 

Maybe why so many people read the forum without ever posting. 

I will be off to the match tomorrow just like I have been doing since County were bottom of the Highland league.

The crowds were low in those days, but there was better craic amongst the support, more noise even despite low numbers. Didn't any of you hear the Livinston fans singing "This is a library, this is a library..." That was in the 1st half when 2 goals down! 

One or two miserable people here who can't stand any view that doesn't match their own! 

1 hour ago, Sonam said:

Some people get in some states when it's all opinons at the end of the day.

You'd think it would be fairly upbeat on here, County won a game after a long while. It's becoming as miserable a place as overthebridge was and that is saying something!

Anyone with a slightly different opinion gets insulted. Yet unless any of these posters have genuine inside information (real players don't gossip to fans as much) or were themselves former professional footballers or former professional managers. It's all opinion really. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. 

I dare say seems to be a fair few arseholes on here! 

Maybe why so many people read the forum without ever posting. 

Eyes What GIF

10 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

9 hours ago, Steve Carrella said:

Would like to think Cowie is going to be brave enough to stick to the three up front, you saw on Saturday how important it is to keep Brophy fit for the remainder. 

I couldn't go on Sat. Was the starting shape really a 3-4-3 with Jenks as a right-wing back (like the Sportscene highlights and Whoscored suggest)? The team sheet to me suggested a narrow 4-3-3. I did wonder if White starting with the other two was for a need to get more height into the team vs Livi.

Fitting all three strikers on the pitch has to result in compromise elsewhere. [Going by the highlights at least], the three of them interlinked better than much of the team has through the season so far, so it must be be worth another shot with another home match tomorrow. I think an opposing manager will quickly suss out to double-up on the flanks to turn County's defence, but given how few good options there are to make and score goals in the side, I can see why Cowie might want to continue giving it a crack.

Edited by bunglebonce

7 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I couldn't go on Sat. Was the starting shape really a 3-4-3 with Jenks as a right-wing back (like the Sportscene highlights and Whoscored suggest)? The team sheet to me suggested a narrow 4-3-3. I did wonder if White starting with the other two was for a need to get more height into the team vs Livi.

Fitting all three strikers on the pitch has to result in compromise elsewhere. [Going by the highlights at least], the three of them interlinked better than much of the team has through the season so far, so it must be be worth another shot with another home match tomorrow. I think an opposing manager will quickly suss out to double-up on the flanks to turn County's defence, but given how few good options there are to make and score goals in the side, I can see why Cowie might want to continue giving it a crack.

I’m by no means an expert but I saw it as a 4-3-3 albeit White playing centrally and dropping a bit deeper. Cowie said in todays P&J that he deliberately set the team up to be narrow.

It was quite refreshing, especially given the Livi team were gigantic, going wide and playing crosses probably wasn’t going to work.