The General Ross County Chat Thread

7 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

I’m by no means an expert but I saw it as a 4-3-3 albeit White playing centrally and dropping a bit deeper. Cowie said in todays P&J that he deliberately set the team up to be narrow.

It was quite refreshing, especially given the Livi team were gigantic, going wide and playing crosses probably wasn’t going to work. 

You could see from the Highlights how effective White was by dropping short to play the simple football. I’m probably White’s biggest critic but he has been at his best when he does that (and is given a minute to reach the box again!). He has other matches where he can’t make a 10 yard pass stick, but he does seem to click well with Brophy for whatever reason. 

8 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

You could see from the Highlights how effective White was by dropping short to play the simple football. I’m probably White’s biggest critic but he has been at his best when he does that (and is given a minute to reach the box again!). He has other matches where he can’t make a 10 yard pass stick, but he does seem to click well with Brophy for whatever reason. 

I’d suggest you aren’t even close!

8 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

I couldn't go on Sat. Was the starting shape really a 3-4-3 with Jenks as a right-wing back (like the Sportscene highlights and Whoscored suggest)?

FWIW sofascore give you Optas average position data, and are the best in terms of readability at presenting it IMO.

You'll know the players numbers better to know where it shows Jenks. 

Screenshot_20240227_070927_Chrome.thumb.jpg.325a2afc41b4c245c9191f4509582377.jpg

It was a 433, with White coming a bit deeper to win high balls and link with midfield & attack.

Loturi (14) had a fantastic 1st half, credit where it's due, I'm usually quite critical of him but he seemed to thrive with the extra responsibility with Dhanda missing.

IMO Jenks was our worst player, continually letting midfield runners go past him, no surprises when Jenks was the first player hooked by Cowie.

11 minutes ago, Staggie1984 said:

Was Dhanda injured on Saturday? I've not seen any reference in the media or social media to say that he was missing due to injury. 

The club don’t seem to provide many updates with regards to injuries which is a bit frustrating.

12 minutes ago, Staggie1984 said:

Was Dhanda injured on Saturday? I've not seen any reference in the media or social media to say that he was missing due to injury. 

Was wondering if he was fit for tonight, had a look at Saturdays Team Lines, not listed as a Sub. Lovely footballer to watch.......

But not tonight please...😉

Hope the weather/wind up here eases off to allow a half decent game.

13 minutes ago, Staggie1984 said:

9 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

It was a 433, with White coming a bit deeper to win high balls and link with midfield & attack.

Loturi (14) had a fantastic 1st half, credit where it's due, I'm usually quite critical of him but he seemed to thrive with the extra responsibility with Dhanda missing.

IMO Jenks was our worst player, continually letting midfield runners go past him, no surprises when Jenks was the first player hooked by Cowie.

Efete in particular was playing quite far up the pitch.

White actually looked pretty comfortable in that middle advanced midfield role, he uses his strength quite well, and has a lovely knack of turning without touching the ball and going with it. I'm generally not a massive JW fan, but he did well there.

8 hours ago, Staggie1984 said:

Might be a good bit of psychology for this particular injury as Dhanda was great in the previous home win against St. Mirren I thought anyway...

Squad is too small, Brophy while excellent 1st half against Livi still not fit which is why subsituted so early I guess.

While Samuel does not have Brophy's skill level, same goes with Turner (Dhanda comparison) loaning both out don't think was right decison.  Frustrating game and apart from the goal by a total gift,  how many other chances did County create tonight? Frustrating as St. Mirren clearly weren't on form.

A way to go yet though I suppose. Question is what result do we want from Livi v Motherwell? 

Edited by Sonam

33 minutes ago, Sonam said:

Squad is too small, Brophy while excellent 1st half against Livi still not fit which is why subsituted so early I guess.

While Samuel does not have Brophy's skill level, same goes with Turner (Dhanda comparison) loaning both out don't think was right decison.  Frustrating game and apart from the goal by a total gift,  how many other chances did County create tonight? Frustrating as St. Mirren clearly weren't on form.

A way to go yet though I suppose. Question is what result do we want from Livi v Motherwell? 

The squad is not too small, the Kansas City Chiefs probably have a smaller retinue.  We have players on loan all over the place,  87 players out injured and 53 players on loan. The issue is quality not quantity. 

Tonights scorelines so far, St. Johnstone ahead away to Aberdeen, Livi beating Motherwell. Not sure how I feel about the latter...

Hope that Aberdeen at least turn it around. It's going to be difficult watching another relegation battle that's for sure. 

12 hours ago, AndyX said:

Even Stephen Kelly in his BBC ratings prime wasn't as good as Eli King today 😄

eliking.png

I’ve noticed Cardiff fans do that really creepy thing Rangers fans go with Kelly.  

I thought yesterday was the second black mark against Don Cowie’s name. The first one coming against St Mirren, where I reckon he lost us the game by setting us up the way we did second half and almost waiting for them to score. The exact same thing happened yesterday and whilst I’m not gunning for him, he certainly has to take a lot of the blame.

On 03/03/2024 at 09:17, Savage Henry said:

I’ve noticed Cardiff fans do that really creepy thing Rangers fans go with Kelly.  

Think English fans in general seem to always do it, weird as f**k.

On 03/03/2024 at 10:11, Matty-RCFC said:

I thought yesterday was the second black mark against Don Cowie’s name. The first one coming against St Mirren, where I reckon he lost us the game by setting us up the way we did second half and almost waiting for them to score. The exact same thing happened yesterday and whilst I’m not gunning for him, he certainly has to take a lot of the blame.

Despite playing with 2 strikers, we definitely were set up to defend rather than attack. The midfield was really unbalanced - I'm assuming Litouri is in the team as a holding player, and if that's his role then fine, but I can't remember the last time he played a forward pass. We needed someone getting forward from midfield to support White and Brophy, but neither Sheaf nor King offered much attacking threat. Khela made a bit of a difference when he came on, but too little too late. 

It's not a pop shot at Brown/Reid here, both worked hard but we rarely seen them beyond the half way line. They've probably been told to hold their position, which makes life even harder for the front 2 to make anything from the scraps they got.

Pish game all round between 2 pish teams.

That Efete (no24) is really really poor, surely feel Ayina should be in instead of him. 

I fairly confident Livi won't win enough to pass us, they'll maybe get the odd draw but we're pretty much a stick on for the play off spot imo, a win at Aberdeen is unlikely but possible that's our only real hope of avoiding the drama.

I'm quite confident of winning the 2 leg play off though.

Edited by Sensible Soccer🏴