The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 03/03/2024 at 10:11, Matty-RCFC said:

I thought yesterday was the second black mark against Don Cowie’s name. The first one coming against St Mirren, where I reckon he lost us the game by setting us up the way we did second half and almost waiting for them to score. The exact same thing happened yesterday and whilst I’m not gunning for him, he certainly has to take a lot of the blame.

Worth mentioning his tactical naivety nearly cost the Livi game also...

Feel Cowie has been dealt an unbelievably shit hand, with a rake of loanees not of his choosing, and players he does know, loaned out. 

You can only piss with the cock you’ve got I’m afraid. 

Posted (edited)

There's only two actual first team players who have been loaned out, no? And one of them never played. 

He's worked with a lot of this team for months (some longer) and he was here under Adams too. He's hardly been parachuted into a squad he knows nothing about.

Although, for balance, a lot of them aren't up to scratch regardless of when they arrived.

Edited by yoda

2 hours ago, yoda said:

There's only two actual first team players who have been loaned out, no? And one of them never played. 

Samuel and Turner have both played, so no idea where that is from.

With Murray being ill, we had two strikers on Saturday.  That would hamstring any manager with regards to what tactics they can employ.  Samuel is a hugely handy sub, especially if we are going to start with 3 forwards.  Turner in my mind has never been given enough game time.

2 hours ago, yoda said:

He's worked with a lot of this team for months (some longer) and he was here under Adams too. He's hardly been parachuted into a squad he knows nothing about.

Adams took in 7 loans and played all of them, none of which look any good (except Wickens who is decent but pretty raw).  None of these guys were Don's choosing.  To continue the analogies, you cant make chocolate mouse out of shite.

41 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Adams took in 7 loans and played all of them, none of which look any good (except Wickens who is decent but pretty raw).  None of these guys were Don's choosing.  To continue the analogies, you cant make chocolate mouse out of shite.

I think King and Ayina have potential but are in a similar boat- very raw,

The rest are not very good at all.

Kyle Turner had a purple patch at the end of last season but was pretty anonymous for Thistle before then. He was dogshit for Raith the other night and I don’t think their fans are too keen on him. 

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Kyle Turner had a purple patch at the end of last season but was pretty anonymous for Thistle before then. He was dogshit for Raith the other night and I don’t think their fans are too keen on him. 

The uncontrolled excitement at us signing Turner in the first place was absolutely mind boggling.  Never a Premiership player in a million years - mind you there are quite a few in that category who are still getting a game. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Samuel had been excellent for us I might add. 

I think that's a level where he'll stand out. I wish him well, he won me over with his insane work rate.

1 minute ago, Comrie said:

I think that's a level where he'll stand out. I wish him well, he won me over with his insane work rate.

It’s ridiculous. He looks like he could play another 90 minutes at full time. Maybe he’s on the gimmicks.

1 hour ago, Steve Carrella said:

The uncontrolled excitement at us signing Turner in the first place was absolutely mind boggling.  Never a Premiership player in a million years - mind you there are quite a few in that category who are still getting a game. 

I always thought he made that Patrick team tick going forward.  He’s nowhere near as good as an 8 as a 10, but that’s where Dhanda plays.  I can quite see him being an important player next season. 

All of that said, how low have we sunk that Ross Callachan is missed. 

2 minutes ago, Comrie said:

He’s also just about the nicest guy I’ve ever met in football.  

1 hour ago, Steve Carrella said:

We were far from the only top flight team going for him.  In fact, I think the jubilation was more that it had been reported by reputable sources that he was set to sign for St Johnstone.  

21 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He’s also just about the nicest guy I’ve ever met in football.  

Totally. Alex Samuel is a true gent, a genuine, very nice person. There are so many arrogant, flash players these days. Wasn't like that as much in the 80s. Don't mind so much if they players put the effort but so many don't.

If County get relegated Samuel and perhaps Turner could be handy players to have. Someone has to replace Dhanda, question is is Turner good enough?

With Samuel he ives 100% in a similar way to Murray. I like players in general that have that positive attitude, regardless of who the manager is. 

I won't blame Cowie if relegated, unless it's a like after a ridiculous run of defeats. 

The Championship is an exciting league to be in, where doesn't matter which position teams are, on the day anyone can beat anyone. I know financially it would hurt the club and the most of all the town. Would be great great to have the Derby back. 

As much as it would be funny to see ICT go down, would be strange without the derby. That match brings in new supporters.

1 hour ago, Sonam said:

If County get relegated Samuel and perhaps Turner could be handy players to have. Someone has to replace Dhanda, question is is Turner good enough?

I mean, you could probably go a generation without ever "replacing" Dhanda. But is Kyle Turner good enough for a promotion chasing Championship team? Absolutely.

I'm really not sure where all this goodwill & high expectation of Kyle Turner is coming from, or even based on tbh.

The club had VERY little say in the loaning out of Turner, I believe the first we heard was AFTER Turner had completed a medical at Raith Rovers, and the Kirkcaldy club contacted us to discuss a loan. I'm pretty sure Turner has no intention of returning as a County player & will engineer a release along the "family couldn't settle in the Highlands" excuse that we've all seen before.

He's a toe-rag imo and is proving his worth, by struggling to get off the bench at Raith atm, a 31yo Josh Mullin is keeping him out of the team.