The General Ross County Chat Thread

Kyle Turner is a very good player if you play him to his strengths. 

Theres a staggering amount of managers in Scottish football who sign people simply to stop other clubs doing it, then realise theyve no idea how to actually play them.

Jim Goodwin is brilliant at that.

On 05/03/2024 at 14:56, Pete the Jakey said:

Samuel and Turner have both played, so no idea where that is from.

With Murray being ill, we had two strikers on Saturday.  That would hamstring any manager with regards to what tactics they can employ.  Samuel is a hugely handy sub, especially if we are going to start with 3 forwards.  Turner in my mind has never been given enough game time.

Samuel played around 3 games worth of minutes in the league this season, with only one start. He's one of those players who appears to have improved every time he didn't play. It is very generous to suggest that him being on the bench on Saturday would have changed how Cowie set up against Hibs. 

Not going to disagree about Cowie having a raw deal (because the squad is mostly terrible) but, on the other hand, he's got more experience of this squad and time with them then Adams had. 

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

He's a toe-rag imo

That's presumably why County signed him then. Easier to fit in with the rest of the team.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kyle Turner is a very good player if you play him to his strengths. 

Theres a staggering amount of managers in Scottish football who sign people simply to stop other clubs doing it, then realise theyve no idea how to actually play them.

Jim Goodwin is brilliant at that.

Jay Henderson is another one signed by Malky Mackay when at the time the formation he used didn’t include any wingers. It’s madness, and a waste of resources.

Edited by Staggie_93

1 hour ago, Staggie_93 said:

Jay Henderson is another one signed by Malky Mackay when at the time the formation he used didn’t include any wingers. It’s madness, and a waste of resources.

Yeah.  What happened there was Josh Sims couldn’t be trusted to last 90 minutes so the balance was always completely off, and also Uncle Roy decided to make the very obviously unreliable Eamonn Brophy as a legacy signing,   

I think Malky wanted to play a 4-2-3-1 but never had faith in the players.  Quite why we are now lumbered with three left backs, three right backs (one of whom is our only trustworthy central midfielder) and only three strikers is beyond me.  Our record signing doesn’t have a position, and our second record signing is barely capable of playing 70 minutes.  Utter mess.   It’s on Roy and Ferguson as far as I can see, assuming Ferguson has anything more to do with signings than he does anything else.  

Edited by Savage Henry

7 hours ago, yoda said:

It is very generous to suggest that him being on the bench on Saturday would have changed how Cowie set up against Hibs. 

Given that Cowie employed a 4-3-3 the previous two games I don’t think it’s at all generous to suggest that if he had 3 strikers at his disposal he would have done it again.

30 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Given that Cowie employed a 4-3-3 the previous two games I don’t think it’s at all generous to suggest that if he had 3 strikers at his disposal he would have done it again.

Yes I agree if they were available they play.

I remember commenting that in the Jim Mac first season when we were really struggling, it was almost like he stumbled into playing Curran and Boyce because he had no options, the rest is history but I think this has a bit of a vibe with Don in that he doesn't have many options. 🤔 

I always thought the thing to do when you’re really shite is go 4–4-2.    Trouble is, County don’t have wide players they trust or, incredibly, two central midfielders capable of playing together.   What an absolutely awful squad that is.  

On 07/03/2024 at 09:53, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

The club had VERY little say in the loaning out of Turner, I believe the first we heard was AFTER Turner had completed a medical at Raith Rovers, and the Kirkcaldy club contacted us to discuss a loan.

That's insane if true, and presumably breaking a number of SPFL rules.

20 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

That's insane if true, and presumably breaking a number of SPFL rules.

Yet here we are. 

I'd love for it to not be true, & we have a resurgent Kyle Turner playing for us next season, in Dhanda's absence, whatever league we're in but I'll be surprised.

On 08/03/2024 at 12:13, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Yet here we are. 

I'd love for it to not be true, & we have a resurgent Kyle Turner playing for us next season, in Dhanda's absence, whatever league we're in but I'll be surprised.

I need to offer my apologies.  I thought we were talking about the Turner who played for Stranraer,  Airdrie , Partick and can't get off the Raith bench.  "Resurgent" is doing a lot of heavy lifting methinks. 

After the 2nd half performance last night, I'm not optimistic at all for the home match on Saturday against Hearts. 

However, that Aberdeen away match on Sat 30th March is winnable. Just hope Livi don't go on a winning streak as otherwise...

On 24/02/2024 at 11:42, Matty-RCFC said:

I see the newly formed Supporters Club are offering £5 tickets for the away bus to Hibs. Whilst I encourage anybody trying to get bums on seats, I feel for the Black Isle Supporters Club who have supported the club by putting on hundreds of buses over the years - often with little-to-no help in terms of advertising from the club. I don’t understand why the two couldn’t have worked in tandem with each other? 

I know that the guy who is behind the newly formed Supporters Club did actually go to the BISC with the idea of working together but BISC weren't interested.

So he went to the club with the idea abd they embraced it

9 hours ago, Sonam said:

After the 2nd half performance last night, I'm not optimistic at all for the home match on Saturday against Hearts. 

However, that Aberdeen away match on Sat 30th March is winnable. Just hope Livi don't go on a winning streak as otherwise...

Aberdeen were dreadful last night - no fight in that team at all.

County should fancy their chances.

3 hours ago, The Great Stagsby said:

Can people PLEASE stop writing stuff along the lines of "Aberdeen there for the taking". I'm pretty sure every time we've played them recently, that's very much been the case, and they've very much destroyed us 4-0 without fail.

Yip, I fully expect us to kick start their campaign, once again.  

Aberdeen have been w**k all season, but they've had out number every time so far. Hope that ends.

On 14/03/2024 at 10:57, Sonam said:

Looking forward to your next U-Turn after the latest Cowie masterclass. 

Beating Aberdeen would make it a 4 horse race (Motherwell, Dons, us and St J) losing would probably just leave it to us and the Perth Saints. We've gone and won there in crucial games in the past, against better Aberdeen sides. They were lucky to get a result from some reffing decisions today so certainly bearable. 

Having said that, do think our best chance is going to be to match St Johnstones results and beating them in our post split fixture (which looks like it should be in Perth). Speaking of split fixtures, we are due 3 home fixtures and 2 away. Likely the 2 away will be Livingston and St Johnstone and we'll host Aberdeen, Motherwell and whoever ends up 7th, which could work out great for us if Cowie can continue to keep us with strong home form. 8 points from the last 15 available even with some poor performances in there, certainly better than 5 good performances without results to match

Aye, spoken to him at games before. He's fairly sound. Some commitment to watch some of the shite we've played recently.